1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 18:37
    Do atheists pray?

A fervent atheist recently told me the answer is "no". Not even a foxhole prayer in the midst of raw carnage, incessant rounds

of fire by moonlight in remote killing fields strewn with human limbs like so much worthless garbage and every medic down?

gb
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 18:441 edit
    No.
    Many theists dont pray either.

edit: but how would I know. i am just assuming.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 18:49
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Do atheists pray?

A fervent atheist recently told me the answer is "no". Not even a foxhole prayer in the midst of raw carnage, incessant rounds

of fire by moonlight in remote killing fields strewn with human limbs like so much worthless garbage and every medic down?

gb[/b]
    they pray to the God of science,

our father who art Darwin
    deliver us this day from these pesky theists
    may your secular kingdom come
    give us our daily dose of rationality and reason
    and forgive us when we are irrational and imaginative
    help us not to day dream and assign intelligent agencies to blind force
    we ask these things in Richard Dawkins name,

amen.
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 18:57
    [b]Do atheists pray?

gb[/b]
    If I tell you that the only way to communicate the fact that you are very hungry to Grabskash the Feeder is to stand one one leg, pat your head with your left hand, rub your belly with your right hand and sing ten green bottles, is this what you will do next time you are feeling more than peckish?

If your answer is no then acknowledge in the same vein we atheists aren't about to get down on our knees, clasp our hands together and ask some imaginary dude in the sky for help when we get into a tight spot.

We simply see no point to it.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 19:20
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If I tell you that the only way to communicate the fact that you are very hungry to Grabskash the Feeder is to stand one one leg, pat your head with your left hand, rub your belly with your right hand and sing ten green bottles, is this what you will do next time you are feeling more than peckish?

If your answer is no then acknowledge in the same vei ...[text shortened]... ginary dude in the sky for help when we get into a tight spot.

Respect your right to an opinion, Agerg. Thanks for your ditto to the previous noes.

gb
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 20:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

amen.
    Lol.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 20:21

If your answer is no then acknowledge in the same vei ...[text shortened]... ginary dude in the sky for help when we get into a tight spot.

Do you ever wonder secretly to yourself if God exists?
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 20:28
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you ever wonder secretly to yourself if God exists?
    Firstly, I never wonder whether the capitalised G Bible-"God" or any other human specified god exists - I am absolutely sure they don't.

Occasionally in my day-dreaming modes I wonder if there is something else after I die, but then I realise the time for wishful thinking is over, chide myself for being silly and get on with the rest of my day.

For all I'd like there to be some sort of god (so long as it isn't the one associated with the Bible or the Quran etc...), I simply cannot hold the notion as reasonable.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 22:13
    Firstly, I never wonder whether the capitalised G Bible-"God" or any other human specified god exists - I am absolutely sure they don't.

Occasionally in my day-dreaming modes I wonder if there is something else after I die, but then I realise the time for wishful thinking is over, chide myself for being silly and get on with the rest of my day.

For all ...[text shortened]... ociated with the Bible or the Quran etc...), I simply cannot hold the notion as reasonable.
    Same goes for me.
    While it would be great if their were an afterlife,
    that it was pleasant to exist in, there is no reason to suppose that one exists.
    Simply because it would be nice if something were true, doesn't mean it is.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 22:14

amen.
    erm, you think being an atheist precludes you from being imaginative?
    Or that we would see imagination as a bad thing?

Boy do you have some misconceptions.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 00:09
    [b]Do atheists pray?

gb[/b]
    BTW I am amused at being called a fervent atheist.

And in answer to the unspoken question, yes, there are indeed atheists in foxholes.

I admit to being bemused by the question, as reflected in my original answer.

The idea of someone who doesn't believe in a god praying to .... well this is the problem.

You only pray to a god if you believe that god exists.
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 00:16
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    And in answer to the unspoken question, yes, there are indeed atheists in foxholes.
    yessir. there are atheist in foxholes. and jews. and muslims. but what you will never find in a fox hole is a christian. you might find someone professing to be a christian there. even those who pray to the christian gods, but you will never find a true christian in a foxhole.
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 00:211 edit

amen.
    I heard the other day that Dawkins was challenged to a debate by the great William Lane Craig, and he refused. What's he so afraid of?
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I heard the other day that Dawkins was challenged to a debate by the great William Lane Craig, and he refused. What's he so afraid of?
    The "great" William Craig Lane!?? 😕
    All he has to offer is sophistry and showmanship. He isn't in the same league as Dawkins.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 00:30

For all ...[text shortened]... ociated with the Bible or the Quran etc...), I simply cannot hold the notion as reasonable.
    If you cannot prove God does not exist, then how can you be absolutely sure?

Just borrowing a page from the atheist playbook.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree