Do any of you atheists

Do any of you atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
why do you care? they constantly imply that you are an idiot, laugh at you, and look down upon you for your beliefs. don't socialize w/ these bigots
I wish to clarify something here, EV. First of all, I couldn't care less whether you believe in god. It makes absolutely no difference to me. My own mother believes in god (I think). What gets you laughed at are your ridiculous arguments trying to prove your god. As you said in another post, it's an argument you cannot win. But I usually reserve my most bitter disdain for the anti-evolutionists. They deserve to be treated exactly as one would treat a child molester, or a neo-nazi, or a serial killer.

P

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by amannion
We've got the works - tree, lights, nativity scene - my daughter's even got a kid's picture bible that she's reading at the moment.
I don't have any problem with it - she's only 6.
When she's older I'll tell her about my point of view - if she wants to follow me that's cool, if she prefers to buy into the christian stuff that's cool too.
Interesting, my daughter is younger than that and frequently asks questions about God. I try to give a balanced answer but that usually involves something along the lines of 'many people believe... ", "the story is that...", "many people also believe other stories like...".

I can't help but give the atheist or agnostic slant. She knows that I do not believe and says that she doesn't believe it either but she is clearly following my example there without actually understanding it.

It will be interesting to see whether, when she realises about Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, she makes the logical connection.

--- Penguin.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by josephw
have nativity scenes and lights and Christmas trees set up a your house.
I don't!
God no.
Not that I wouldn't like to, I just suffer from extreme motivational problems.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by amannion
We've got the works - tree, lights, nativity scene - my daughter's even got a kid's picture bible that she's reading at the moment.
I don't have any problem with it - she's only 6.
When she's older I'll tell her about my point of view - if she wants to follow me that's cool, if she prefers to buy into the christian stuff that's cool too.
I"m impressed.
Kelly

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by Rajk999
Its possible to take any sensible advice to the extreme and make it sound ridiculous. But .... whatever turns you on.
The way it's written sounds ridiculous. There's no exceptions written in. There's nothing about where you're allowed to hit 'em, or how hard. The only exception I see is that the beating is not supposed to kill them. The verse reads like an open encouragement of child abuse.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
why do you care? they constantly imply that you are an idiot, laugh at you, and look down upon you for your beliefs. don't socialize w/ these bigots
Don't get carried away here Venom. I like these guys in spite of how they treat me. I don't take it personally even if I thought they wanted me to.

I'm here to have some fun, and maybe I'll eventually come up with a sound enough argument for what I believe is the truth.

I try to reserve my insults for the ideas and concepts and not the individual. Although I do like a good verbal dual. They especially hate it when I'm patronizing. But I do it all in fun.

And besides, I can be an idiot too sometimes.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Dec 07

One daughter now 23. I used zero indoctrination. Going to church was optional but we spoke often of the beliefs of her friends while she was a teenger. Now she is made up her mind and prefers to believe in God.
Naturally!

I wouldn't call it indoctrination. That sounds like one trying to cram something down someones throat against their will.
Kinda like the government school system is doing to our youth with this business about evolution.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by scherzo
Oh no, wouldn't dream of it.

If it makes any difference, I recognize Christmas but don't really celebrate it per se.
Same here.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The way it's written sounds ridiculous. There's no exceptions written in. There's nothing about where you're allowed to hit 'em, or how hard. The only exception I see is that the beating is not supposed to kill them. The verse reads like an open encouragement of child abuse.
Yeah ... I heard about guys like you ... lacking common sense and discretion can be a hell of a problem. Do you need to have you mommy reminding you to wipe your butt after using the toilet as well? 😀

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by rwingett
I wish to clarify something here, EV. First of all, I couldn't care less whether you believe in god. It makes absolutely no difference to me. My own mother believes in god (I think). What gets you laughed at are your ridiculous arguments trying to prove your god. As you said in another post, it's an argument you cannot win. But I usually reserve my most bit ...[text shortened]... to be treated exactly as one would treat a child molester, or a neo-nazi, or a serial killer.
Yours is an extremist view.

How do you live with that grinding inside of you?

Unless of course you're just trying to be shocking. In that case you should really try being relevant.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
17 Dec 07

Originally posted by Penguin
Interesting, my daughter is younger than that and frequently asks questions about God. I try to give a balanced answer but that usually involves something along the lines of 'many people believe... ", "the story is that...", "many people also believe other stories like...".

I can't help but give the atheist or agnostic slant. She knows that I do not belie ...[text shortened]... Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, she makes the logical connection.

--- Penguin.
I'm avoiding getting too far into conversations on it with her for that very reason. My daughter gets religious education instruction at school - most kids do in Australia during their early years - and she's pretty happy with what her RE teacher tells her (as are most kids at age 6).
As far as she's concerned God exists.
She knows I don't agree but can't understand my position.
Since to go too far down that track would also disavow her of Santa and the Easter Bunny, I'm being careful to pretty much avoid the situation.
I figure in a year or two I can broach the subject - although then I'll have my 4 year old son to worry about.

Still, if this is the biggest worry I'll ever have with them ... I'm laughing ...

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Dec 07

Yeah ... I heard about guys like you ... lacking common sense and discretion can be a hell of a problem. Do you need to have you mommy reminding you to wipe your butt after using the toilet as well? 😀
Yo' momma still does yours for you.

E

Moves
18 Dec 07

Originally posted by rwingett
I wish to clarify something here, EV. First of all, I couldn't care less whether you believe in god. It makes absolutely no difference to me. My own mother believes in god (I think). What gets you laughed at are your ridiculous arguments trying to prove your god. As you said in another post, it's an argument you cannot win. But I usually reserve my most bit ...[text shortened]... to be treated exactly as one would treat a child molester, or a neo-nazi, or a serial killer.
its not my god, it was just a thread. i have said in other posts that i dont have a belief

E

Moves
18 Dec 07

Don't get carried away here Venom. I like these guys in spite of how they treat me. I don't take it personally even if I thought they wanted me to.

I'm here to have some fun, and maybe I'll eventually come up with a sound enough argument for what I believe is the truth.

I try to reserve my insults for the ideas and concepts and not the individual. Alth ...[text shortened]... I'm patronizing. But I do it all in fun.

And besides, I can be an idiot too sometimes.
theyre likely to make fun of you by agreeing w/ this post also, i kinda wish you didnt call yourself an idiot.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
18 Dec 07

That sounds like one trying to cram something down someones throat against their will.
Kinda like the government school system is doing to our youth with this business about evolution.
Yes, and "counting", and "writing" and "physics". Terrible, I tell ye.