Disobeying Jesus

Disobeying Jesus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
You will actually find exceptions to all rules, especially within Christian morality. To say: Xtians aren't perfect, just forgiven don't cut it for me. How about: Xtians aren't perfect, but they are stiving towards it. This might be a little closer to the mark. I'm not excusing flying off the handle, but I contend that there are some Xtians who do actually turn the other cheek.
Of course there are. I've seen several come into these forums to chat, debate and proselytize without giving into the war of words which many get drawn into. But what about those that do give in to provocation on a regular basis? Should they be rebuked by fellow believers? Are they acting on their own behalf or on the behalf of Christ?

d

Moves
20 Sep 05

Cut 'n paste. I'm sorry, but since you are asking for the Christian view here's another verse:

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
What does "Raca" mean? And what would Jesus consider a cause for anger, I wonder?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay
What does "Raca" mean? And what would Jesus consider a cause for anger, I wonder?
What does "Raca" mean?

Raca - from the Hebrew rak, to be empty. It signifies a vain, empty, worthless fellow, shallow brains, a term of great contempt. Such expressions were punished among the Gentoos by a heavy fine.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Sep 05

You will actually find exceptions to all rules, especially within Christian morality. To say: Xtians aren't perfect, just forgiven don't cut it for me. How about: Xtians aren't perfect, but they are stiving towards it. This might be a little closer to the mark. I'm not excusing flying off the handle, but I contend that there are some Xtians who do actually turn the other cheek.
and that usually applys to atheists as well ,
not perfect but striving for it.
same boat, different cabin.

A

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
So you're falling back on the old cliche' "Xtians aren't perfect , just forgiven." ? I usually hear this one trotted out whenever you want to imbibe in , excuse away , or cover up any behavior that is in conflict with what you preach to/demand of other's...Come on literalist xtians...How many times do you daily try to shove this absolutism down ever ...[text shortened]... s hold you , your religion , and your pathetic attempts at converting us ALL in utter contempt .
Hello? I'm not even Christian. You have misstated my point and apparently confused me with other people you are used to jousting with on the forums. Save it for them.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05

Of course there are. I've seen several come into these forums to chat, debate and proselytize without giving into the war of words which many get drawn into. But what about those that do give in to provocation on a regular basis? Should they be rebuked by fellow believers? Are they acting on their own behalf or on the behalf of Christ?
But what about those that do give in to provocation on a regular basis? Should they be rebuked by fellow believers?

I'm not too big on the rebuke issue. Like Christ said: "let him who is blameless, cast the first stone".

Occasionally as you said, they were provoked, so there could be extenuating circumstances.

Here's another c&p:

Jam 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, this man's religion is vain.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
and that usually applys to atheists as well ,
not perfect but striving for it.
same boat, different cabin.
(slowly - hisssing at the end) Yeeesssss.

Lets hope its not the titanic, as we need at least one "King of the World". <- Which must go down as the cheesiest line in all of history.

d

Moves
20 Sep 05

[b]But what about those that do give in to provocation on a regular basis? Should they be rebuked by fellow believers?

I'm not too big on the rebuke issue. Like Christ said: "let him who is blameless, cast the first stone".

Occasionally as you said, they were provoked, so there could be extenuating circumstances.

Here's another c&p:

J ...[text shortened]... y man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, this man's religion is vain.[/b]
"I'm not too big on the rebuke issue. Like Christ said: "let him who is blameless, cast the first stone". "

Hmmm, then why do Christians rebuke each other at all? Seems a little contradictory to me.

This is getting nowhere. How do you guys find any reliable and consistent answer in that ridiculous book of yours?

d

Moves
20 Sep 05
1 edit

This is getting nowhere. How do you guys find any reliable and consistent answer in that ridiculous book of yours?
That was a test, by the way. 😉

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Sep 05

(slowly - hisssing at the end) Yeeesssss.

Lets hope its not the titanic, as we need at least one "King of the World". <- Which must go down as the cheesiest line in all of history.
see now since each large cabin consists of many rooms and there are many cabins. Who picks the Captain? certainly it cant be only one cabin or even a few.
since whatever course the ship takes, ALL the rooms are being taken for the ride.

So its best to consult the rooms and let them decide and not the cabin stewards.

A

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
So you're falling back on the old cliche' "Xtians aren't perfect , just forgiven." ? ... Refer to this post when you wonder why so many of us hold you , your religion , and your pathetic attempts at converting us ALL in utter contempt .
There is an issue of hubris on both sides of this fight.

We do not like it when extroverted religious people try to convert us to their belief and lecture us about our own beliefs.

Are we willing to take a breath and consider, however, that in our spirited resistance to that attitude, we are liable to make the same error? When a Christian tells you that your life has no direction because you haven't accepted Jesus, that seems pretty rude to us (it does to me, certainly); yet some of us do not think twice about telling a Christian that their book is nonsense or that they are mentally deficient.

Let a Christian get snarky in response to that, and suddenly we hear, "Oh dear! What about turning the other cheek and all that?" As if you are entitled to expect that a Christian person should just smile and let you walk all over them.

Skepticism is healthy. Good for the mind, good for conversation. Bullying is something different. You can't fool me, dressing up meanness as skepticism.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05
1 edit

"I'm not too big on the rebuke issue. Like Christ said: "let him who is blameless, cast the first stone". "

Hmmm, then why do Christians rebuke each other at all? Seems a little contradictory to me.

How do you guys find any reliable and consistent answer in that ridiculous book of yours?

Hold on. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

The case we were examining was where somebody "sins" and you are not directly involved. Here's one where somebody sins against you:

Luk 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
Luk 17:4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Titus 3:10 A man that is a hardened in his ways after the first and second admonition reject;
Titus 3:11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05

That was a test, by the way. 😉
Fair enough.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by Algernon
There is an issue of hubris on both sides of this fight.

We do not like it when extroverted religious people try to convert us to their belief and lecture us about our own beliefs.

Are we willing to take a breath and consider, however, that in our spirited resistance to that attitude, we are liable to make the same error? When a Christian tells y ...[text shortened]... tion. Bullying is something different. You can't fool me, dressing up meanness as skepticism.
Algernon: "As if you are entitled to expect that a Christian person should just smile and let you walk all over them."

Hear, hear.

Algernon: "Skepticism is healthy. Good for the mind, good for conversation. Bullying is something different. You can't fool me, dressing up meanness as skepticism.

Hear, hear

.............. and rec-ed.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Sep 05

The sheep are flocking.