Discrimination against women by Christians

Discrimination against women by Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
21 Jul 10

Originally posted by pawnhandler
Women are not just excluded from decision-making. It pains many women that they are excluded from administering various sacraments. For example, many women are excellent Spiritual Directors, but only men (priests) can administer the sacrament of reconciliation. Thus, if you believe in the whole system, you can pour out your heart and soul to your spir ...[text shortened]... r the priest who won't get up in the morning) has consecrated enough hosts for the faithful.
So what if a forum restricted to men granted women the right to administer certain sacraments, but not to be fully enfranchised in the decision-making process itself? I am simply aiming at what I see as the broader discrimination; I certainly do mean to ignore the narrower one.

Also, since I am not Catholic, I am not restricting myself to just Roman Catholicism (the institutional details of which I am little familiar).

Hmmm . . .

Moves
21 Jul 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]The pernicious gender discrimination and disenfranchisement of women is based on a more complex and extensive power-matrix (which is at the root of other inequities as well) such that addressing only the gender-dominance issue is not sufficient to dismantle the whole, interlocking complex.

Yes, in fact, that seems to be your argument too. Unlike ...[text shortened]... cese. And to many Catholics' bemusement, it was opposed by many outstanding liberal Anglicans.[/b]
Yes, in fact, that seems to be your argument too. Unlike ThinkofOne, your concern is not immediately the exclusion of women from sacramental ministry; it is rather that they have no official voice in the dogmatic and moral deliberations of the Church on matters which intimately bear on them.

Yes, that is my argument too. I think that includes, but is not restricted to, exclusion from sacramental ministry (in whatever church). My position would be (and I think you pointed out some more detail on it vis-à-vis the RCC) that women could presumably be included in the sacramental ministry while still being (at least partially) disenfranchised from the process by which such decisions are made. [See my reply to pawnhandler.]

T

Moves
22 Jul 10

[b]The pernicious gender discrimination and disenfranchisement of women is based on a more complex and extensive power-matrix (which is at the root of other inequities as well) such that addressing only the gender-dominance issue is not sufficient to dismantle the whole, interlocking complex.

Yes, in fact, that seems to be your argument too. Unlike ...[text shortened]... cese. And to many Catholics' bemusement, it was opposed by many outstanding liberal Anglicans.[/b]
Unlike ThinkofOne, your concern is not immediately the exclusion of women from sacramental ministry

Actually my concern is broader than that and you know it. My concern is that women are not given the same opportunities as men because of gender. Why do you persist in all this dishonesty?

T

Moves
22 Jul 10
1 edit

[b]I've explained it a number of times and in a number of ways. It's dishonest for you to try to pretend at this point that I haven't.

No you haven't. This accusation that I have 'deeply prejudiced views of women' was in fact very recent. I made a comparison with exclusion from military service and it was quite clear you misinterpreted the point of t nals.) I am not arguing for male paternalism in which men make decisions for women.[/b]
You can continue in your ongoing dishonesty, but the facts remain.

It's quite clear that there's no point in trying to continue a discussion with someone with such a lack of integrity.

It's ironic that so many Christians resort to these kind of tactics, given the teachings of Jesus.

T

Moves
22 Jul 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
i agree with the first part. it is gender discrimination.

i don't agree with the second part. you can't remove distinctions between certain groups. like you said, it would accomplish nothing. also those distinctions are there for a reason.

to remove gender discrimination and any kind of discrimination , the discriminated must be allowed the same opp ivileged not remove opportunities from the latter so they can all be equally miserable.
I gather that you haven't followed all of this thread.

I am for the RCC giving women the exact same opportunities as men. I think that they should just do that.

Read what I wrote in context:
For true equality to exist the RCC would need to either allow women to be clerics or remove any and all distinctions between clerics and lay people like I said earlier. Anything short of this is just an attempt to whitewash. If clerics and lay people were ever truly equal, it would be absurd to keep the distinction. The distinction is kept precisely because they are not truly equal.

What I am saying after the "or" is that theoretically there may exist a way to remove ANY AND ALL DISTINCTIONS between clerics and lay people. I then point out the absurdity of doing this doing this and the fact that the RCC keeps the distinction because they are not truly equal. I am not for this solution, but acknowledge that it is theoretically possible to do. And if it were done, then women would then have the same opportunities as men.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Jul 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
You can continue in your ongoing dishonesty, but the facts remain.

It's quite clear that there's no point in trying to continue a discussion with someone with such a lack of integrity.

It's ironic that so many Christians resort to these kind of tactics, given the teachings of Jesus.
Like you know anything about the latter.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]Yes, in fact, that seems to be your argument too. Unlike ThinkofOne, your concern is not immediately the exclusion of women from sacramental ministry; it is rather that they have no official voice in the dogmatic and moral deliberations of the Church on matters which intimately bear on them.

Yes, that is my argument too. I think that includes, but ...[text shortened]... senfranchised from the process by which such decisions are made. [See my reply to pawnhandler.][/b]
The institutionalisation of the scriptures is the root problem.

That happens when the true meaning of any particular verse or passage is twisted out of it's context and made to fit the whims of some man or group of men who are essentially degenerate in their thinking and passions.

If in fact the scripture teaches that men are to hold to those positions of authority and leadership designed by God for the purpose of ministering to the saints, then what on earth does that have to do with gender discrimination?

Nothing!

Assigning the concept of gender discrimination is the first flaw in reasoning when reading the word.

The second flaw is assigning the concept of gender discrimination in the reading of the scriptures when in reality it is the flaw in man that causes him to do so.

So what is the real issue here? Is it that the Bible teaches gender discrimination? Or is the real issue that men are corrupt and degenerate sinners who get "religion" and then force their own preconceived ideas on what the Bible really teaches for the purpose of controlling the actions of others?

T

Moves
23 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw

That happens when the true meaning of any particular verse or passage is twisted out of it's context and made to fit the whims of some man or group of men who are essentially degenerate in their thinking and passions.

If in fact the scripture teaches that men are to hold to those positions ideas on what the Bible really teaches for the purpose of controlling the actions of others?
The issue is those who use the Bible as a weapon to further their discrimination against women.

Z

Moves
24 Jul 10

I gather that you haven't followed all of this thread.

I am for the RCC giving women the exact same opportunities as men. I think that they should just do that.

Read what I wrote in context:
[quote]For true equality to exist the RCC would need to either allow women to be clerics or remove any and all distinctions between clerics and lay people lik ...[text shortened]... ossible to do. And if it were done, then women would then have the same opportunities as men.
theoretically all people on earth could shave their heads and learn to always walk backwards while having blue and green robes. practically it would be retarded.

yes, if we were all the same, there would be no discrimination. yes, if there would be no priest jobs, women wouldn't complain about it because nobody is priest. i pointed out, to be clear, that this would be a ridiculous state of affairs, where nobody gets anything just say we have a discrimination free society.

what you insist on doing is support your decision of mentioning something completely impractical that adds nothing to the debate just because you felt your initial point (that of allowing women to be priests) needed something absurd to be placed near so that it becomes even more appealing. if that was your intention then i must point out that the RCC should either allow women to be priests or kill 10002 puppies. killing 10002 puppies is preposterous therefore the rcc must allow women to be priests.

(i did what you did, only exaggerated it a bit)

Z

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by josephw

If in fact the scripture teaches that men are to hold to those positions ...[text shortened]... ideas on what the Bible really teaches for the purpose of controlling the actions of others?
"If in fact the scripture teaches that men are to hold to those positions of authority and leadership designed by God for the purpose of ministering to the saints, then what on earth does that have to do with gender discrimination?"

you don't see anything wrong with this phrase? nothing at all?

if a company were to hire 100 men and 100 women and then issued a memo saying that the position of CEO would forever be given to a man, you wouldn't find it discriminating? do you know what the definition of discrimination is? i don't even get how you function? that it is wrong to deny someone an opportunity based on gender, race, age, etc but as long as you say from the start that only a certain group can ever be allowed in a certain club, it is ok?

T

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
theoretically all people on earth could shave their heads and learn to always walk backwards while having blue and green robes. practically it would be retarded.

yes, if we were all the same, there would be no discrimination. yes, if there would be no priest jobs, women wouldn't complain about it because nobody is priest. i pointed out, to be clear, t ...[text shortened]... re the rcc must allow women to be priests.

(i did what you did, only exaggerated it a bit)
Go back and read through the context of the post like I suggested earlier. It's apparent you haven't. The "acknowledgment" was in response to an idea proposed by another poster. Like I said, "I then point out the absurdity of doing this and the fact that the RCC keeps the distinction because they are not truly equal." If you want to go after someone, why don't you go after the other poster?

w

Moves
24 Jul 10

It's ironic that so many Christians resort to these kind of tactics, given the teachings of Jesus.[/b]
Speaking of Christ, why did he choose 12 male disciples?

F

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by whodey
He had a 13th too, but she was not called a disciple. Even if she was nearer and dearer to him than the rest of them.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 10

Do you think anyone would have believed in him if he had 12 female 'disciples' going everywhere he went? He would have been crucified much sooner.

T

Moves
24 Jul 10

Seems like most of the time people ask questions like this, it's because they have nothing but conjecture and are hoping to hide that fact. But if you have something substantial to say, why don't you just plainly state it?