discrimination against agnostics & atheists

discrimination against agnostics & atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
05 Nov 13

Why do religious people discriminate against agnostics and atheists?
There is no evidence that religious people are any more ethical than those that are not so why does it matter to some religious people?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by Metal Brain
There is no evidence that religious people are any more ethical than those that are not so why does it matter to some religious people?
Because religious people don't need evidence.

I am often told by theists that if they were atheist, they would immediately go around raping and murdering people, so they expect the same from me, and are quite puzzled that I don't.

Moves
05 Nov 13

Maybe it's the same reason you are generalising against "religious people"

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by divegeester
What would that reason be?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by JS357
Probably a lack of understanding of each other.

The Instructor

Moves
05 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
Lack of respect for individuals and individuation. Among other reasons.

Z

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
Because religious people don't need evidence.

I am often told by theists that if they were atheist, they would immediately go around raping and murdering people, so they expect the same from me, and are quite puzzled that I don't.
you seriously need to choose better theists to talk to.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
you seriously need to choose better theists to talk to.
You seriously need to think before you type.

Z

Moves
05 Nov 13

You seriously need to think before you type.
yeh, because i am the one who used the general term "theist" to describe fundamentalist asholes who believe atheists have nothing to stop them from raping or killing.

MB

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by divegeester
You are jumping to conclusions. One of the reasons I created this thread is because many women don't want to date a guy that does not have a strong faith in god. I have nothing against dating theist women, but they are not as socially tolerant. It is as if they think atheists are evil much like twhitehead indicated, but there is actually a study that indicates the opposite.

MB

Moves
05 Nov 13

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/22/study_religious_more_likely_to_lie_for_financial_gain_partner/?source=newsletter

Moves
05 Nov 13

You are jumping to conclusions. One of the reasons I created this thread is because many women don't want to date a guy that does not have a strong faith in god. I have nothing against dating theist women, but they are not as socially tolerant. It is as if they think atheists are evil much like twhitehead indicated, but there is actually a study that indicates the opposite.
I'm only going on the text in your OP which was a generalisation about religious people.

Z

Moves
05 Nov 13

you can find studies that support anything.

if those theist women do not want to date you, move on. i am sure you will find women not willing to date you because you are not the right color, ethnicity, don't own the right car, etc. yes, discrimination is bad, yet it is nothing new. it is wrong to believe a handful of crazy people are representing theists everywhere.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
yeh, because i am the one who used the general term "theist" to describe fundamentalist asholes who believe atheists have nothing to stop them from raping or killing.
I did not refer to all theists. I was talking about some theists who have expressed a certain view point to me in the past when I say I am atheist. This includes friends and family members and I take great offence at you calling them "fundamentalist asholes".
The truth is that you had no real response to what I said so you sought to distance yourself from it as much as you could, and typed without thinking.

Z

Moves
05 Nov 13
2 edits

I did not refer to all theists. I was talking about some theists who have expressed a certain view point to me in the past when I say I am atheist. This includes friends and family members and I take great offence at you calling them "fundamentalist asholes".
The truth is that you had no real response to what I said so you sought to distance yourself from it as much as you could, and typed without thinking.
a person saying their religion is the only thing preventing them from raping and killing is a fundamentalist ashole.

"I am often told by fundamentalist asholes that if they were atheist, they would immediately go around raping and murdering people, so they expect the same from me, and are quite puzzled that I don't"
there, i fixed it for you. it no longer includes theists who find it quite logical that atheists might not go killing and raping people without the grace of their particular god.