Did Muhammad exist?

Did Muhammad exist?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
20 Nov 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Yes. However we're forced to judge on a balance of probability, because there's no absolute proof of Mohammad's existence.

I believe that Socrates, Jesus and Mohammad all existed -- on a balance of probabilities.

But my question for you today is this -- what do you have to lose by doubting Mohammad's existence, considering that you worship God, not Mohammad?
what do you have to lose by doubting Mohammad's existence, considering that you worship God, not Mohammad?

Simply because I knew Allah (GOD) through the message delivered by prophet Mohammed. So if he didn't exist then why should I believe in the message.

Moves
21 Nov 08

Originally posted by frogstomp
Please , could you give me the Roman sources that mentions Jesus.
I would refer you to the writings of Josephus. He comments on a good many people and cultures of the time.

Moves
21 Nov 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Josephus is the source in question -- a very questionable one on this particular matter, as wikipedia can enlighten you.

There's simply no incontrovertible contemporary historical evidence of Jesus' existence.

Tacitus was writing in 116 --not a contemporary source. Besides which, he talks about 'Christus' -- which wasn't Jesus' name but a title (meaning 'Lord'😉 given him by Christians after his death.
Quite right on all accounts. That Jesus or the early Christians would be mentioned at all, though, is remarkable. They would not have been very noteworthy at the time and they are given their due by a writer of the time. In all likelyhood, Josephus could not have imagined that this ragtag sect would reach the prominence that it has, and all the good and bad in its wake, these 2,000 or so years later.

Most ancient scholars are not looking for full corraberation; it won't exist. The fact that anything exists at all makes the existence of Jesus of Nazareth likely, given the scriptural writings and the course of Christianity since. My opinion is that the nature of his life and existence is in far more doubt than whether he actually lived or not.