Detroit statue

Detroit statue

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15
1 edit

I read in the media this morning that Detriot has become the new site for the unveiling yesterday of a large satanic statue, after it was rejected by Oalahoma City, apparently. According to several reports it was a raucous affair with hundreds of people queuing to see it amidst complaints from the local Catholic Church. I am surprised there wasn't more objections from local churches. Is there anyone here from Detroit or the Michigan area who has heard about this?

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/07/25/group-to-unveil-satan-statue-in-detroit-during-largest-public-satanic-ceremony-in-history/

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jul 15

Would you object? Surely you believe in freedom of religion? Is it on public land or being paid for by public funds?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Would you object? Surely you believe in freedom of religion? Is it on public land or being paid for by public funds?
As far as I can tell it is privately funded and on private land so there is no political or legal position to object. I would still speak with them if it was possible, as part of my own freedom of speech, but I would do so peacefully and probably through a meeting with them and or via a letter explaining my views and asking them to reconsider; I wouldn't join in some sort of street protest waving banners with such claims as "the end is nigh" or something like that. After all they do have freedom of religion and it is their prerogative to worship whom they choose and presumably they have been doing so for sometime without the local churches getting all twisted out of shape of it. It seems to me that very often christian "protest" arises due to something becoming public, or more public than it was and the Christians react to the publicity rather than taking a more spiritually considered prayerful approach and allowing god to deal with it. It is a matter of personal choice.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
I would still speak with them if it was possible, as part of my own freedom of speech, but I would do so peacefully and probably through a meeting with them and or via a letter explaining my views and asking them to reconsider;
To reconsider their beliefs, or reconsider putting up a statue?

Do you do the same for other religions? If it was a Buddhist statue, would you also wish to speak to them and ask them to reconsider?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15

To reconsider their beliefs, or reconsider putting up a statue?
If I was in the situation i.e. I living locally and I knew there was a satanic church nearby I could possibly (although not necessarily) feel led to address them personally about both their religion and the statue. I don't believe that despite Christians having a (albeit varying degree of) belief in the supernatural, that they should be concerned about talking to these people unless they are the type of people who are predisposed to violence or are particularly militant against Christianity. I've never come into contact with anyone from a satanic church so it's difficult to say how I would feel.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jul 15

I've never come into contact with anyone from a satanic church so it's difficult to say how I would feel.
But do you see it just like any other religion, or do you see it as somehow directly opposed to Christianity (as you seem to imply might be the case with your OP).

w

Moves
27 Jul 15
2 edits

I read in the media this morning that Detriot has become the new site for the unveiling yesterday of a large satanic statue, after it was rejected by Oalahoma City, apparently. According to several reports it was a raucous affair with hundreds of people queuing to see it amidst complaints from the local Catholic Church. I am surprised there wasn't more ...[text shortened]... 07/25/group-to-unveil-satan-statue-in-detroit-during-largest-public-satanic-ceremony-in-history/
Detroit seems to be a better fit than Oklahoma City.

Just say'in.

Washington DC would be an even better fit, however.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15

But do you see it just like any other religion, or do you see it as somehow directly opposed to Christianity (as you seem to imply might be the case with your OP).
I don't see how Satanism cannot be directly opposed to Christianity. However I accept that some of the followers may not realise it.

w

Moves
27 Jul 15

I don't see how Satanism cannot be directly opposed to Christianity. However I accept that some of the followers may not realise it.
I'm sure Pope Francis will find a way to incorporate it into the daily mass.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15

Originally posted by whodey
Detroit seems to be a better fit than Oklahoma City.

Just say'in.

Washington DC would be an even better fit, however.
What do you mean by "better fit" and how do you differentiate between one city and another?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15

Originally posted by whodey
I'm sure Pope Francis will find a way to incorporate it into the daily mass.
What are you talking about?

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jul 15

Have you considered the possibility that it is you that doesn't understand what their religion is about?

rain

Moves
27 Jul 15
1 edit

Also the issue of public decency. We know Satan represents evil, and so it's morally dubious to depict children looking up to a satanic figure as if it's a god. Yes, I know satanists don't see their god as evil, but that doesn't change what Satan repesents throughout the world.

People shouldn't have to see such a disturbing image in public. It would be just fine in a museum.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15

Have you considered the possibility that it is you that doesn't understand what their religion is about?
I'm open to further understanding of course. However I can not imagine any combination of words that they people could put together that would make me believe that Satanism was aligned with Christianity.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jul 15

Originally posted by vivify
Also the issue of public decency. We know Satan represents evil, and so it's morally dubious to depict children looking up to a satanic figure as if it's a god. Yes, I know satanists don't see their god as evil, but that doesn't change what Satan repesents throughout the world.

People shouldn't have to see such a disturbing image in public. It would be just fine in a museum.
I agree with you in context and principle, but in a secular world that could be difficult to enforce.