Determining what is “moral”

Determining what is “moral”

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Condoned? Where, exactly?
Leviticus 25:
44 " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Can't see how you'd interpret that as disapproval.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
I believe God sets some rules we should not break no matter if we join hand in
hand together saying we want this not that, and there are other things we judge
for ourselves. I believe life is like that with the absolute and the relative, we see
a mixture throughout the universe in all areas of life.
Kelly
Sorry, are you now saying that slavery can be morally acceptable?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
18 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Sorry, are you now saying that slavery can be morally acceptable?
It used to be to people years ago, and in some places today it still is.
Kelly

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 10

Kelly
So you're ok with slavery, but not with homosexuality?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
18 Aug 10

I wish I could live in Haiti, they still have slaves.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 10

Originally posted by RBHILL
I wish I could live in Haiti, they still have slaves.
Tell me, do all you christians have this moral blind-spot when it comes to slavery?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
18 Aug 10

Tell me, do all you christians have this moral blind-spot when it comes to slavery?
There is nothing wrong with having a slave as long as you treat them with respect.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 10

And, how did you come up with that?
Kelly

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Aug 10

There is nothing wrong with having a slave as long as you treat them with respect.
Are you serious? This is a joke, right?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Aug 10

And, how did you come up with that?
Kelly
Oh I'm sorry, I've got so used to seeing anti-gay diatribes from christians on these forums that I just assumed that would be your stance. I apologise. I'm still astonished that you can view slavery as morally acceptable, however.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Aug 10

Oh dear.............................🙄

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Aug 10

Kelly
Pederastry used to be acceptable years ago also, would you like it to return?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
19 Aug 10

[b]Leviticus 25:
44 " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make th ...[text shortened]... your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Can't see how you'd interpret that as disapproval.[/b]
Spoils of war, decidedly not the system engaged in by the US during its agricultural heydays. We actively pursued people to enslave from other countries; the 'bondsmen' that were purchased by the Israelites were those who were willingly residing in the nation prior to the contract. By way of contrast, the verses following the one you isolated speak about other non-Israelis who prosper in the land and end up with Israeli bondsmen.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Aug 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Spoils of war, decidedly not the system engaged in by the US during its agricultural heydays. We actively pursued people to enslave from other countries; the 'bondsmen' that were purchased by the Israelites were those who were willingly residing in the nation prior to the contract. By way of contrast, the verses following the one you isolated speak about other non-Israelis who prosper in the land and end up with Israeli bondsmen.
So you're arguing that we would be morally correct to enslave, say, Afghan nationals apprehended during the course of the current conflict? Which ever way you cut it, it quite clearly states that it's ok to own another human being, and even to will them to your offspring. And that's far from being the only point where the bible indicates approval of this odious practise. I wonder what the JW position on slavery is? Or any of the other christian churches for that matter...

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 10

Oh I'm sorry, I've got so used to seeing anti-gay diatribes from christians on these forums that I just assumed that would be your stance. I apologise. I'm still astonished that you can view slavery as morally acceptable, however.
Again, how did you come up with that?
Kelly