Define religion

Define religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by daniel58
Jesus started The Catholic Church, Catholicism Is A Religion.
No, he didn't. He didn't even started the christian religion.
He lived as a jew, he died as a jew.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Reading through this thread, I see only rwingett has made a serious effort to offer a general definition. Black beetle's collectivist sensibilities, drawn from the late Durkheim it would seem, have some merits, but they are embedded in definitions that fail through tautologies, several peculiarly limiting manifestations of certain religious expressions (arch ...[text shortened]... a perception.

*Clifford Geertz, The Interpretation of Cultures (1973), p. 90.
edit: “Black beetle's collectivist sensibilities, drawn from the late Durkheim it would seem, have some merits, but they are embedded in definitions that fail through tautologies, several peculiarly limiting manifestations of certain religious expressions (archetypes), and other faults too numerous to delineate here.”

This is false my dear coach!
I described what religion is at its core -it is a specific social product with specific characteristics that I take them for granted. But I worked my opening a bit deeper: regardless if this human invention stems out of the essence of “religare” or of the essence of “relegere”, I offered a presentation of the factual string of cause-effect that was triggered by this invention. Indeed, this is the way the religion affects our societies.

Then I explained clearly what exactly was the problem that our ancestors tried to solve when they invented the religion, and I explained how religion and the religious people interact between them within society and how they interact with the other social factors.
And finaly I said that this kind of interaction is so powerful that it is recognised as a characteristic of specific political systems too, and I explained that this happens simply because a religion is amongst else a perfect tool for powergames too. That’s all
đŸ˜”

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by black beetle

And finaly I said that this kind of interaction is so powerful that it is recognised as a characteristic of specific political systems too, and I explained that this happens simply because a religion is amongst else a perfect tool for powergames too. That’s all
đŸ˜”
When religion is dominant, politics is a subset of religion.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Oh my obnoxious brother, this is also true to me đŸ˜”

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by rwingett
It was copied from dictionary.com
So how do you define religion?
Kelly

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Sep 09

Seems creationists and evolutionists all still act under the umbrella of 'accepted science'.(there are some exceptions,of course) Now I'm not saying chuck out science. I am just trying to look into the future a bit , and see where science might be headed.
For example to whole way in which we have attempted define 'religon' has on this thread has been very kinda systematic. Maybe too much energy wasted on finding a clear defintion when (with words like reigon) I think we are all pretty agreed on what 'religon' means-even if some of our finer definitions may differ.
Agree?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

Does bare atheism count as a belief system? I'm not sure that it does. I imagine that all atheists have in common is a lack of belief in the existence of the supernatural, which they share with many adherents of the religion known as Buddhism.
"Lack of belief in the existence of the supernatural". For me, that's a belief. One motivated by lack of evidence in the converse, but a belief nonetheless. They may reword it as they wish, but it's all a bit silly to me.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

As long as you need that "when", then there are cases where it isn't.

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
"Lack of belief in the existence of the supernatural". For me, that's a belief. One motivated by lack of evidence in the converse, but a belief nonetheless. They may reword it as they wish, but it's all a bit silly to me.
Yes, the point I am emphasising is 'system'. Let's say I entertain a vague belief that God exists; unless that belief is the singularity that generates my world, I cannot be said to have a belief system.

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

As long as you need that "when", then there are cases where it isn't.
Of course. Nowadays politics and religion are both subsets of advertising.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by black beetle
I see!

So, what do you think about the theocracies? Are they based on a non-chaotic supernatural religious core belief that it is mutated also into a political dogma?
đŸ˜”
The existence of some political belief systems that are religious at their core is not contradictory with my definition. The existence of political belief systems that are not religious is, however, contradictory with yours.

Giving examples of political belief systems that are religious is then a poor argument against my definition.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09
1 edit

Of course. Nowadays politics and religion are both subsets of advertising.
I'm confused as to how you can maintain this and the notion that there are no expressions of non-religious belief systems.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

Yes, the point I am emphasising is 'system'. Let's say I entertain a vague belief that God exists; unless that belief is the singularity that generates my world, I cannot be said to have a belief system.
What is a "belief system" for you? I'm interpreting it as a system of beliefs, meaning any set of related beliefs.

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

I'm confused as to how you can maintain this and the notion that there are no expressions of non-religious belief systems.
I don't maintain that there are no expressions of non-religious belief systems. Forgive me if by asking you for examples I gave you that impression. I asked you for examples for the sake of discussing something concrete rather than launch into the abstract at forty-five degrees.

That being said, is advertising a belief system?

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

What is a "belief system" for you? I'm interpreting it as a system of beliefs, meaning any set of related beliefs.
A Weltanschauung (excuse me) predicated on some essential set of premises that logically determines the believer's way of being in the world.

For example, belief in Xenu is a seed crystal of the Scientological matrix. Remove that belief and the edifice crumbles.

I don't think a belief system is necessary for a person to function in the world. I'm not sure that I have a belief system myself. Rather I have a strategy.

I hope this is sufficiently clear.