Decoder Rings ?

Decoder Rings ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Jun 16
3 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Do you feel you have some sort of special decoding mechanism for understanding scripture?

I mean other than the spirit of course, before you duck behind that.
No device do I have.

But it is helpful to know for instance that bronze has a significance often in the OT.
Or we may note that gold carries a significance.
And we may suspect that acacia wood carries a symbolism.

Oil also carries a signigicance.
A stone carries a significance in the Bible.
A ring may well carry meaning as a ring of gold .
A rod of acacia wood passing through a ring of gold - significant.
Measurements - often highly meaningful.
1 carries a significance.
3 carries a significance.
4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 40, 41, 144, etc, number which often carry a signficance.

I adhere to a rule that symbolism must be accompanied by plain teaching elsewhere in the Bible.

Did you get that? I believe there is much symbolic meaning in OT which experience and obedience of the saints can unlock with the help of the Holy Spirit. These are not exactly codes but typology, shadows, types, symbolism. I believe the safest way is to look for plain teaching that confirms some symbolic matter in the Bible.

If there is no plain teaching to correspond, it is better not to use that supposed symbolism. It may not be right or helpful. The symbolism that I speak of I can accompany with plain words of teaching.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Jun 16

twhitehead

One small correction to my post: It is not that a person using this argument claims to be the sole person capable of interpreting the Bible, but typically claims to be the only one in present company so capable - or has some comrades who they agree with. The key to the argument however is that the method of interpretation cannot be double-checked by the listener. The 'correct' interpretation must be taken on authority / faith or whatever.

On another thread someone suggested (I think JosephW) that the key to bible interpretation is to let it interpret itself. No secret decoder ring needed.
The bible says of itself that it is of no private interpretation.
I will add that it also interprets itself right where it is written, or if not then in the context, and again if not then in previous usage.

Here is an example I learned years ago....
Paul speaks of a "thorn" in the flesh here...

1I must go on boasting. Though it is not profitable, I will move on to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2I know a man in Christ who 14 years ago was taken to the third heaven (whether in the body, I do not know, or whether out of the body, I do not know, God knows). 3And I know such a man (whether in the body, or apart from the body, I do not know, God knows), 4that he was taken into Paradise and heard unspeakable words, which it is not permitted for a person to speak. 5On behalf of such a person I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weaknesses. 6For if I want to boast, I would not be senseless, for I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one can credit me with more than what he sees in me, or hears from me, 7especially because of the exceeding greatness of the revelations. Therefore, so I would not be overly exulted, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of the Adversary, to beat up on me, so I would not be overly exulted. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this so that it would depart from me. 9And he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power reaches its fulfillment in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ will rest on me. 10Therefore, on behalf of Christ, I am content in weaknesses, in being mistreated, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties; for when I am weak, then I am powerful.

Many people have described Paul's thorn as being weak eyes, some say a disease or sickness of some kind, some even go as far as saying he had a sexual perversion or weakness.
But if we let the bible speak we can see right in the verses that it was given by Satan or the Adversary, (same being.)
Now if we do a word search and look for the word "thorns" in earlier usage we might find out what a thorn is.

Num 33:55 But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then those you let remain of them will be as pricks in your eyes and as thorns in your sides, and they will harass you in the land in that you dwell.

Josh 23:13 know for a certainty that Yahweh your God will no longer drive these nations from out of your sight; but they will be a snare and a trap to you, a scourge in your sides and thorns in your eyes until you perish from off this good land that Yahweh your God has given you.

So what do thorns look like?... People!
Who was beating up Paul, scourging him, harassing him, stoning him?.... People.
People sent by the Adversary to buffet him, slow him down and stop his message from being preached.

This is a simple example of bible interpretation without guessing. Just letting it interpret itself.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Jun 16
2 edits

Originally posted by sonship
No device do I have.

But it is helpful to know for instance that [b]bronze
has a significance often in the OT.
Or we may note that gold carries a significance.
And we may suspect that acacia wood carries a symbolism.

Oil also carries a signigicance.
A stone carries a significance in the Bible.
A ring may well ...[text shortened]... right or helpful. The symbolism that I speak of I can accompany with plain words of teaching.[/b]
All this symbolism, and yet you still maintain there is a literal lake of fire where God will literally burn unbelievers for eternity.

This is why we don't see eye to eye. "Did you get that?"

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Jun 16
6 edits

All this symbolism, and yet you still maintain there is a literal lake of fire where God will literally burn unbelievers for eternity.

This is why we don't see eye to eye. "Did you get that?"
I don't think I'll argue about this today. This is a kind of subject (lake of fire) that the more it is discussed the more one side assumes or portrays that the other side is eager for the worst things to happen to the lost. If you bring this matter up in every thread I start or nearly after every post I write, subtlety an impression may be had that a believer is eager for people to be punished.

If you want to attach that trademark on me, I cannot stop it. I do not need to play along and assist you . ie. "sonship only talks about eternal damnation which subject he apparently loves."

Today, if I write, I am going to stick to many beautiful and positive matters concerning Christ.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
28 Jun 16

I don't think I'll argue about this today. This is a kind of subject (lake of fire) that the more it is discussed the more one side assumes or portrays that the other side is eager for the worst things to happen to the lost. If you bring this matter up in every thread I start or nearly after every post I write, subtlety an impression may be had that a b ...[text shortened]... Today, if I write, I am going to stick to many beautiful and positive matters concerning Christ.
That is not my intention, although I take your point of view on board.

You will see that here I'm using the topic in context of the symbolism piece i.e. it's on topic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Jul 16

Originally posted by checkbaiter
twhitehead

[b]One small correction to my post: It is not that a person using this argument claims to be the sole person capable of interpreting the Bible, but typically claims to be the only one in present company so capable - or has some comrades who they agree with. The key to the argument however is that the method of interpretation cannot be dou ...[text shortened]... is a simple example of bible interpretation without guessing. Just letting it interpret itself.
Many people have described Paul's thorn as being weak eyes, some say a disease or sickness of some kind, some even go as far as saying he had a sexual perversion or weakness.

I never in my life heard about the thorn being a sexual perversion. Frankly, I don't think it is worth a thought.

But that it may have had to do with an ailment in his eyes? That is probable I think. But we don't know for sure.

But if we let the bible speak we can see right in the verses that it was given by Satan or the Adversary, (same being.)

A messenger of Satan was harassing him.

Now if we do a word search and look for the word "thorns" in earlier usage we might find out what a thorn is.

Num 33:55 But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then those you let remain of them will be as pricks in your eyes and as thorns in your sides, and they will harass you in the land in that you dwell.

Josh 23:13 know for a certainty that Yahweh your God will no longer drive these nations from out of your sight; but they will be a snare and a trap to you, a scourge in your sides and thorns in your eyes until you perish from off this good land that Yahweh your God has given you.

So what do thorns look like?... People!

I have contemplated your explanation.

The problem is that the "thorns" that God predicted to be troublesome to the Israelites would be the disciplinary result of their disobedience. For not following through to drive out the inhabitants, especially in their idolatrous worship centers, their tolerance would cause the thorns of trouble to them.

To adopt this view, transferring it to the Apostle Paul, I have to imagine that some hesitation, some refusal to cooperate with God, and some leniency that tolerated something displeasing to God was the cause of the thorn in his flesh.

It is possible that this was his experience. But I don't think this is the case.
i am more inclined to think Paul's consecration was absolute.

The thorns experience you refer to in the OT is clearly due to a lack of consecration; a lack of absoluteness; tolerance toward something displeasing to God and accommodation for what was against God's purpose.

I don't think this is the thorn experience Paul speaks of.
But I would not rule it out as impossible, just unlikely.

Who was beating up Paul, scourging him, harassing him, stoning him?.... People.
People sent by the Adversary to buffet him, slow him down and stop his message from being preached.

These were the troubles that he was undergoing because of his obedience to Christ. These troubles are not those correcting him, disciplining him for disobedience as the thorns issue is in the conquest of Canaan.

This is a simple example of bible interpretation without guessing. Just letting it interpret itself.

Paul speaks of the thorn as an "it" rather than as a person.

"Concerning this I entreated the Lord three times that IT might depart from me." (2 Cor. 12:8)

Does that "it" sound like a person or a group of people to you?

Whatever this "thorn" was Paul was powerless to eliminate it. Through it God drove him to avail himself more deeply into the grace of Christ. It so forced him to have to depend upon the supplying grace of Christ that he boasted in his weakness. For in his weakness to eliminate the thorn, which God also would not eliminate, he more deeply learned to live by the empowering grace of Christ.

"And He [Christ] said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness.

Most gladly therefore I will rather boast in my weaknesses that the power of Christ might tabernacle over me.

Therefore I am well pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in necessities, in persecutions and distresses, on behalf of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am powerful." (2 Cor. 12:9,10)

What a servant of God! What a tremendous gift to man and especially to the church.

So then I have mused on your interpretation. Personally I think his "thorn" was more on of the nature of a "necessities" and "distresses" and "weaknesses" rather than "persecutions" or "insults".

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
05 Jul 16

I thought decoder rings were used by atheists and Christian pretenders for bringing Scripture in line with what they believe.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 16

I don't think I'll argue about this today.
It's not surprising to me that you continue to promote symbolism in the Bible and yet refuse to acknowledge that the most horrendous teaching you support is not a symbol.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 16
3 edits

Comment withdrawn.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 16
2 edits

There is a divine and mystical dimension to human life. Because of this God's revelation has to use metaphors to mean things which are quite real yet mysterious to our natural mind.

Everybody knows that there are many many metaphors in the Bible And it is in this realization that Paul compares the perfect knowledge he will have in the future to the shadowy understanding he has today.

'For now we see by means of a mirror obscurely, but then face to face, now i know in part, but then I shall fully know as also I was fully known." (1 Cor. 13:12)

This metaphoric matter includes both positive things and negative things.
It includes some wonderful things and some terrible things.

It includes wonderful realities which will engulf the saved.
It includes terrible things which will be the portion of those not saved.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 16
1 edit

The book of Daniel shows a river of fire proceeding out from a throne of fire upon which God sits.

The book of Revelation shows a river of water of life proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

One river ends in a repository of judgment.
The other river ends in it being distributed throughout a city of eternal life.

One river of God's holiness in judgment sweeps all the things of rebellion against God into a lake of fire at the end of the Bible. The other river flows out the Holy Spirit of divine life into the city of God.

There is a stream of judgement and there is a stream of God's life dispensing God into man. What a picture these two word pictures reveal. Here are two examples:

" I watched until thrones were set,

And the Ancient of Days sat down. His clothing was like white snow, And the hair of His head was like pure wool;

His throne was flames of fire, A stream of fire issued forth and came out from before Him. Thousands of thousands ministered to Hi, And tehn thousands of ten thousands stood before Him.

The court of judgment sat, And the books were open." (Daniel 7:9,10)

The theme of God's holiness as a devouring fire issuing from His throne in judgment is taken up again in the book of Revelation.

Then we have the Triune God dispensing eternal life from that same throne of His administration.

" And he showed me a river of water of life, bright as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb in the middle of its street.

And on this side and on that side of the river was the tree of life, producing twelve fruits, yielding its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations." (Rev. 22:1,2)

Here is the Trinity flowing out eternal life into the city of God. The city is a mountain with a spiral street rounding round the mountain down until it covers all the gates of the city.

The Triune God as God the Father on the throne, the Lamb as the Son in Whom is the Father, the golden street as the divine nature of the Father and the flowing river of water of life as the Holy Spirit. The tree of life also as the Son there.

In both cases the profound things are communicated to us in metaphoric word pictures.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 16

Comment withdrawn.
That wasn't surprising either. But I'm pleased you withdrew it; if you cannot engage civilly, then best not to.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 16
3 edits

That wasn't surprising either. But I'm pleased you withdrew it; if you cannot engage civilly, then best not to.
What I withdrew was not uncivil. You didn't see it so how do you know what characteristics it had? Are you hoping that it was not civil ?

And I have contributed to the discussion for those interested. And I think it was a further development of the comment that I withdrew.

There is no need for you to jump to the conclusion that a comment withdrawn simply HAD to be uncivil. It might be inadequate because of time. Or it might be simply not that important to the furtherance of the discussion.

It will not be the last time I decide not to publish a comment or make another instead, with more time.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 16

What I withdrew was not uncivil. You didn't see it so how do you know what characteristics it had? Are you hoping that it was not civil ?

And I have contributed to the discussion for those interested. And I think it was a further development of the comment that I withdrew.

There is no need for you to jump to the conclusion that a comment with ...[text shortened]... not be the last time I decide not to publish a comment or make another instead, with more time.
OK, anytime you wish to address my comment to you which you have twice avoided, please feel free to do so.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 16
2 edits

OK, anytime you wish to address my comment to you which you have twice avoided, please feel free to do so.
I don't know what comment you are referring to. However, I just remembered what it was that I withdrew and wrote something else - something more developed.

It was to the effect that nowhere have I insisted that the lake of fire could not be symbolic. Your comment seemed to suggest that I exclude any possibility of that, which was not true.