Dawkins to arrest Pope

Dawkins to arrest Pope

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

Originally posted by whodey
What I am saying is, we can disagree about what flavor of ice cream is without innately knowing that one is favorable to the other. But why is it we innately know that not abiding by the Golden Rule is "bad"? In fact, there is no question about it. Its not an opinion like deciding what your flavor of ice cream is.
I don't think we truly do know innately what is good or bad. We learn empathy as we grow up and that becomes innate.

w

Moves
23 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
[b] I suppose there are sociopaths, but I view this more of a medical disorder in the brain

So you have an excuse as to why it's not innate to sociopaths. That doesn't make it a reason to ignore the example.
For every rule there is an exception, but the exception does not disprove the rule. Of course, there is an exception to this rule as well in that there is not always an exception to every rule

Now think about that for a few hours and it will make your head explode!! 😛

w

Moves
23 Apr 10

I don't think we truly do know innately what is good or bad. We learn empathy as we grow up and that becomes innate.
But why do we learn empathy?

w

Moves
23 Apr 10
1 edit

I don't know. If there was a god and he was malevolent then maybe he's waiting to get to me.

Also, how do you know that I'm not suffering at the moment? I could be.

There's no reason why a god would be 100% malevolent. He could have good and bad days. He could be manic depressive. HE'S FICTIONAL so he could be the tooth fairy.
Nope. At best such a God would have to be both manevolent and benevolent, he can't be 100% manevolent if just one person on earth is happy.

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

But why do we learn empathy?
Why do we learn anything?

w

Moves
23 Apr 10

Why do we learn anything?
My point is, why do we not simply learn to use people to our advantage rather than empathize with them?

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

Nope. At best such a God would have to be both manevolent and benevolent, he can't be 100% manevolent if just one person on earth is happy.
Why not? He could be 100% malevolent, but just has no time to hurt everyone.

Or he's just slowly ruining everyone's lives...

Of course, we're just talking about fiction so he could frankly have any property I feel like assigning to him!

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

My point is, why do we not simply learn to use people to our advantage rather than empathize with them?
We do both.

w

Moves
23 Apr 10

[b]Why not? He could be 100% malevolent, but just has no time to hurt everyone.
So he is a God that is not all powerful? That would have to be your conclusion.

w

Moves
23 Apr 10
1 edit

We do both.
But we recognize that one is superior to the other. Why is it that we recognize that using people is not superior to empathizing with them?

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

So he is a God that is not all powerful? That would have to be your conclusion.
Why not? Why does god have to be all powerful?

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

But we recognize that one is superior to the other. Why is it that we recognize that using people is not superior to empathizing with them?
Because as a society we have recognized and reward empathizing with them as a superior trait.

Those who show a greater level of sympathy are accepted more in social circles and hence more likely to survive.

w

Moves
23 Apr 10
2 edits

Why not? Why does god have to be all powerful?
To create something and not be ultimately in conrtol of it would make him unwise as well as weak.

So lets assess how unwise and weak he is. Is there order to the universe? If so to what extent? All of this enjoyement is unentended of course. It seems to me that there is enough order for you to enjoy yourself to a certain degree and for it to make enough sense out of it all. It seems to me that you are pretty shielded from the violent and toxic universe living on this life support system we call earth. In fact, looking at human anatomy it would appear that we are put together rather well. Why? Why not create us with continuous pain 24/7? In fact, I bet you have loved ones that you care about. I suppose he was not powerful enough to prevent them from loving you. In fact, he was such a ditz he failed to wire them to hate you. I suppose we would have to take a poll of all the happy people in the world with loved ones to assess just how weak this manevolent God is.

w

Moves
23 Apr 10

Because as a society we have recognized and reward empathizing with them as a superior trait.

Those who show a greater level of sympathy are accepted more in social circles and hence more likely to survive.
But why are those who show greater levels of sympathy accepted more in social circles? It seems to me that if we ally ourselves just for the means of survival we would do so with people who are strong and manipulative.

P

Moves
23 Apr 10

To create something and not be ultimately in conrtol of it would make him unwise as well as weak.

So lets assess how unwise and weak he is. Is there order to the universe? If so to what extent? All of this enjoyement is unentended of course. It seems to me that there is enough order for you to enjoy yourself to a certain degree. It seems to me that yo ...[text shortened]... ll the happy people in the world with loved ones to assess just how weak this manevolent God is.
I don't see how your post justifies that god couldn't be a bumbling fool that just happened to accidentally create everything.

Why not? Can you actually prove that he isn't? Of course not!

You just believe that your god is benevolent and happy and kind (except when he's murdering children) and that he must be all powerful. Think outside the box! Maybe god just farted and the universe is what came out?