Cross????

Cross????

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
05 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by duecer
they wrote all the vowels except the ones in the name of the Lord, but what authority does your transaltion include them? And how do we know that those vowels are the correct ones? we don't. No I'd have to say that criticizing a translation for substituting LORD (annotated) for YHWH is closer to the real meaning and intent than sacriligously writing Gods name...which is the height of arrogance
if you would like to answer the actual question like what name was Jesus making known, i think we can agree it was not , the lord, the LORD or anything like it.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
05 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
how is it closer to the real meaning? its not even a name, why dont you get it, you have removed a name, the divine name and replaced it with a nondescript term, which has no relevance to the original meaning.
what is un clear about what I said? You proclaim that you use the REAL name of God, yet that name was never in writing in the ancient texts, how can you replace what the ancients wrote with what you think it might mean? At least the NIV or KJV is honest about the translation process. To do otherwise is intellectually dishonest and must be regarded as a spurious translation.

rc

Moves
05 Jul 10

what is un clear about what I said? You proclaim that you use the [b]REAL name of God, yet that name was never in writing in the ancient texts, how can you replace what the ancients wrote with what you think it might mean? At least the NIV or KJV is honest about the translation process. To do otherwise is intellectually dishonest and must be regarded as a spurious translation.[/b]
no the NIV is not an honest translation, its a piece of junk, answer the question deucer, what name was Jesus making known, what name did he state that we should sanctify. we do not claim to know the actual pronunciation, we have simply adopted what was in common usage, infact, there are numerous references to Jehovah throughout the earth, since antiquity.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Jul 10

what is un clear about what I said? You proclaim that you use the [b]REAL name of God, yet that name was never in writing in the ancient texts, how can you replace what the ancients wrote with what you think it might mean? At least the NIV or KJV is honest about the translation process. To do otherwise is intellectually dishonest and must be regarded as a spurious translation.[/b]
Do you use and say all the names in the Bible correctly? There are many that we are not sure how to pronounce them correctly. So why don't we just throw them all out in case we're pronouncing them wrong?
Why is it only God's name that has been removed??????????????

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Jul 10

Do you use and say all the names in the Bible correctly? There are many that we are not sure how to pronounce them correctly. So why don't we just throw them all out in case we're pronouncing them wrong?

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
05 Jul 10

no the NIV is not an honest translation, its a piece of junk, answer the question deucer, what name was Jesus making known, what name did he state that we should sanctify. we do not claim to know the actual pronunciation, we have simply adopted what was in common usage, infact, there are numerous references to Jehovah throughout the earth, since antiquity.
give it a rest RC, you've lost this argument before, you've just lost it again

rc

Moves
05 Jul 10
1 edit

give it a rest RC, you've lost this argument before, you've just lost it again
if that is the best you have, then, well i am sorry, its simply not good enough, if you cannot, or will not answer the question, what name was Christ making known, what name did he instruct his disciples to sanctify, then its Robbie and Glavo 1: duecer 0

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
05 Jul 10

Originally posted by galveston75
God's name has not been removed, a modern usage was inserted and annotated. God's name actually does not appear its a tetragrammaton fro the millionth or so time. Show me in any ancient hebrew text where it appears as anything other than YHWH (hebrew equivelant). You can't because it does not exist, your argument is built on a house of cards and shows the arrogance and ignorance of your denomination

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
05 Jul 10

if that is the best you have, then, well i am sorry, its simply not good enough, if you cannot, or will not answer the question, what name was Christ making known, what name did he instruct his disciples to sanctify, then its Robbie and Glavo 1: duecer 0
yeah okay, I just thrashed you completely in my last 5 or 6 posts, and removed any credibility of your argument, so you decide to start from the begining and re-argue all the points that you have lost. Sorry not falling for thar RC. You lose I win YAY Team TRINITY!!!!

rc

Moves
05 Jul 10
4 edits

God's name has not been removed, a modern usage was inserted and annotated. God's name actually does not appear its a tetragrammaton fro the millionth or so time. Show me in any ancient hebrew text where it appears as anything other than YHWH (hebrew equivelant). You can't because it does not exist, your argument is built on a house of cards and shows the arrogance and ignorance of your denomination
a modern usage? FAIL

you have failed to show,

1 any equivalence between the term the Lord or the tetrarammaton, either textually, historically or in meaning

2. you have failed to state why is should be preferred to the teragrammaton and the universally accepted equivalent, Jehovah

3. you have failed to state why Christ made gods name manifest, why he instructed the disciples to sanctify it, why this is not the term, the Lord

4. you have failed to tell us why you have systematically removed the divine name, under what authority you have done so and why you have replaced it with inane and nondescript terms

all in all, humongous FAIL by anyone's standards and the second biggest fail in spiritual terms since Jaywilll described Jesus as the 800 pound golden gorilla waiting in everyones living room 🙂 be water my friend

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
05 Jul 10

a modern usage? FAIL

you have failed to show,

1 any equivalence between the term the Lord or the tetrarammaton, either textually, historically or in meaning

2. you have failed to state why is should be preferred to the teragrammaton and the universally accepted equivalent, Jehovah

3. you have failed to state why Christ made gods name ...[text shortened]... d Jesus as the 800 pound golden gorilla waiting in everyones living room 🙂 be water my friend
may your cup runneth over with life giving water, and stain your new rug😛

rc

Moves
05 Jul 10

may your cup runneth over with life giving water, and stain your new rug😛
rug, now there's an interesting illustration, humble, lets people stand on it, yet decorative and brings warmth to an otherwise cold room, mmm, i gonna think about that for a wee while 😵

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Jul 10

Sorry about the double post. My AOL is acting up..🙁

rc

Moves
05 Jul 10

Sorry about the double post. My AOL is acting up..🙁
its ok my friend, sometimes you need to say these things twice, in the hope that it penetrates 😉

P

weedhopper

Moves
05 Jul 10

"""The cross is the symbol of Jesus and the Trinity"""

Again I ask you such an easy question and you still never answer it. Where in the Bible does it tell us that it's so, and that we are supposed to honor and venerate it????? Please scriptures only or don't answer.

In other words, show me from the Bible like I was a student wanting to learn and ...[text shortened]... u teach me from the Bible why I should look at the cross and honor it the way you do....
2 Corinthians 4:4 where Jesus is called the "icon" of God

Anything CAN become an idol, but just because somepeople are weak minded enough to allow themselves to worship an idol is no reason to condemn those who seek comfort from wearing a cross or acknowledging religious art or any of the many traditions of the Christian Church.