Critical thinking vs. Monkey poop fights.

Critical thinking vs. Monkey poop fights.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Now I think you're overreacting. Children don't start out as independent thinkers, so they will naturally emulate their parents' belief systems until they are old enough to start questioning things on their own.
The problem is when that desire to question things is extinguished by being brainwashed for the first 18 years or so of life....

What's the saying? Give me a boy of 5, and I'll give you the man...

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
The problem is when that desire to question things is extinguished by being brainwashed for the first 18 years or so of life....

I think the problem is that any old idiot (or young idiot for that matter) can be a parent. You don't need a licence, there's no age restriction (other than the biological one), no education requirements, nothing.
You just need to have sex, and let's face it, there are many of us that do that.
Unfortunately for the resultant offspring they have no way of choosing their prospective parents.

That gets me thinking about abortion - I wonder if we were able to give the foetus the option, whether it would always opt for life ... 'look at what I've got to contend with' it might say and willingly submit to the knife ...

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Did you lose a bet? You're about as concillatory as Sweden right now, and it's beginning to scare everyone. Please, resume your cornered-animal-stance as quickly as possible. You're embarassing yourself.
I assure you that I'm still a punk. However, I will try to limit my usual animosity and loathing for humanity to the general forum.

Actually, right from the start I’ve been disappointed in the Spirituality discussions. They never go anywhere, they’re peppered with ranting and useless dogma. In all seriousness, you’d stand a better chance of learning about the nature of God and human spirituality if you had a job sweeping up poop at the zoo.

I would really like to see some honest and helpful guidance for a change. Some open minded discussion would be appreciated as well. We obviously have some intelligent people populating this site, surely we can learn something from each other. The lack of coherent thought and constructive debate is a big part of the reason I’m such a sarcastic douche bag in the forums.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
I assure you that I'm still a punk. However, I will try to limit my usual animosity and loathing for humanity to the general forum.

Actually, right from the start I’ve been disappointed in the Spirituality discussions. They never go anywhere, they’re peppered with ranting and useless dogma. In all seriousness, you’d stand a better chance of le ...[text shortened]... constructive debate is a big part of the reason I’m such a sarcastic douche bag in the forums.
Some open minded discussion would be appreciated as well. We obviously have some intelligent people populating this site, surely we can learn something from each other. The lack of coherent thought and constructive debate is a big part of the reason I’m such a sarcastic douche bag in the forums.

Undoubtedly. What is your suggestion, a debate on world-peace and passive coexistence?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
27 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz

Again, I think 'brainwashing' is simply the wrong term. m-w.com defines it as

1 : a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas

At the start of their life, children don't have any basic political, social, or religious beliefs to give up. It's inevitable that they will strongly emulate parents or other close mentors while discovering and formulating their first views on these subjects.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]Some open minded discussion would be appreciated as well. We obviously have some intelligent people populating this site, surely we can learn something from each other. The lack of coherent thought and constructive debate is a big part of the reason I’m such a sarcastic douche bag in the forums.

Undoubtedly. What is your suggestion, a debate on world-peace and passive coexistence?[/b]
I was thinking we'd start with some discussion about the nature of the soul and what makes a person or creature sentient. A discussion of the nature of self awareness seems to be a good place. This can lead to discussion of the nature of the soul, destiny, kharma and a host of other interesting topics. Most of this basic discussions can be dealt with on a non-denominational basis without incurring the wrath of one religious doctrine or another.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
27 Mar 06

I was thinking we'd start with some discussion about the nature of the soul and what makes a person or creature sentient. A discussion of the nature of self awareness seems to be a good place. This can lead to discussion of the nature of the soul, destiny, kharma and a host of other interesting topics. Most of this basic discussions can be dealt wi ...[text shortened]... on a non-denominational basis without incurring the wrath of one religious doctrine or another.
I think some non-confrontational discussion would be a lovely idea. If you would start a thread on this topic, I'd be happy to share my 2 cents as time permits (which unfortunately at the moment isn’t much).

R

Moves
27 Mar 06

Again, I think 'brainwashing' is simply the wrong term. m-w.com defines it as

1 : a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas

At the start of their life, children don't have any basic political, social, or religious beliefs to give u ...[text shortened]... r other close mentors while discovering and formulating their first views on these subjects.
if i phrased it as social grooming would that make you feel better?!

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
27 Mar 06

Some open minded discussion would be appreciated as well.
Actually, right from the start I’ve been disappointed in the Spirituality discussions. They never go anywhere, they’re peppered with ranting and useless dogma.
Couldn't agree more. Refreshing to see honesty coupled with a concise assessment of the aimlessness of the posts in these here threads. Scooby snack for you.

A few of the threads I have initiated could be labled dogma, but they are here for the purpose of offering theological outlines to those not likely ever exposed. Further, it is difficult to argue with those against the self-righteous legalism being touted in most churches today. The few threads offered were my way of letting others know the cr@p they got from the churches wasn't necessarily what orthodox biblical theology teaches.

Those threads met with the resistance you touched on in your few posts on this thread, namely, irrelevant off-topic shots designed to derail any serious discussion of the concepts offered.

I would welcome a dialogue of thoughtful discussion on any of the topics you suggested; or, if you are not opposed, perhaps you would join in the threads which I initiated:
Who give(s) human life?
Attributes of God
The Doctrine of the Divine Decree
or visted's Tale of Two Trees, etc., etc.

Thanks again for your thoughtful post.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
27 Mar 06

[b]Actually, right from the start I’ve been disappointed in the Spirituality discussions. They never go anywhere, they’re peppered with ranting and useless dogma.
Couldn't agree more. Refreshing to see honesty coupled with a concise assessment of the aimlessness of the posts in these here threads. Scooby snack for you.

A few of the threads I hav ...[text shortened]... e Decree
or visted's Tale of Two Trees, etc., etc.

Thanks again for your thoughtful post.[/b]
I will attempt to make some contribution to your threads. However, as is the case with Halitose, my time is limited these days.

What makes a being sentient is a topic I'd very much like to explore. I think this goes back to what makes a human... well, human. I think I'll throw a thread out, but, I doubt it will get the attention the usual 'pit fight' threads get.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
27 Mar 06

I will attempt to make some contribution to your threads. However, as is the case with Halitose, my time is limited these days.

What makes a being sentient is a topic I'd very much like to explore. I think this goes back to what makes a human... well, human. I think I'll throw a thread out, but, I doubt it will get the attention the usual 'pit fight' threads get.
Well, get to it when you can, and maybe we can teach the world to sing in perfect harmony!

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
27 Mar 06

Well, get to it when you can, and maybe we can teach the world to sing in perfect harmony!
I'm going to revise my topic somewhat. Upon review, an exploration of sapience is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Not just self awareness, but the ability to contemplate and act based on this awareness. I'll have to give it some thought, thnk you for your comments though.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by Rolfey
if i phrased it as social grooming would that make you feel better?!
But you won't, because it sounds ridiculous to say "social grooming is a violation of human rights".

R

Moves
28 Mar 06

But you won't, because it sounds ridiculous to say "social grooming is a violation of human rights".
actually social grooming is a violation of human rights. for example, a child molester may groom a young person until they are of legal age to copulate. this is a chargable offence in the UK.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Rolfey
actually social grooming is a violation of human rights. for example, a child molester may groom a young person until they are of legal age to copulate. this is a chargable offence in the UK.
The problem here is the child molestor, not 'grooming' in general. If you have to resort to that example just to make 'grooming' seem evil, you're getting pretty desperate.