Creation myths

Creation myths

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DT

Moves
20 Dec 08

Originally posted by dystoniac
The phrase 'Creation Myths' is an oxymoron because creationism is no myth. The heavens and earth are 'designed' by a creator. One cannot disprove this; even the atheists and evolution-geeks are stymied by this fact.
You are correct, all hail the flying spaghetti monster, creator of all the Universe

d

Break-twitching

Moves
21 Dec 08

Originally posted by LemonJello
I'm confused. What would it take, in your estimation, to "disprove" a claim (e.g., that the earth was designed by a creator)? Under these same standards, can you disprove that it is not the case that the earth was designed by a creator? If not, do you consider yourself "stymied" by this fact?

Further, I'm confused why such facts should even be taken ...[text shortened]... of whether or not it actually is the case that there is an invisible elf in my closet?
Man, reading your post reminded me of when I used to 'jello-shots'...LOL. I can't disprove nor prove anything regarding creation/evolution. There may well be an elf in your closet. Look at the physical laws of science, astronomy, mathematics, etc., and you will see design instead of chaos. If evolution were fact, what is the purpose of life?

d

Break-twitching

Moves
21 Dec 08

Originally posted by Deep Thoughtless
You are correct, all hail the flying spaghetti monster, creator of all the Universe
I'm glad to see that you are now more 'Thoughtful'.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
21 Dec 08

Originally posted by whodey
I would like to dedicate this thread to creation myths. After all, we came from somewhere, no? I know that most of you know that I am a Christian, and as such my faith has been attacked mostly on these threads from the first few chapters of Genesis. For example, I have heard that the creation order in Genesis is out of order. For example, how could plants ...[text shortened]... a conundrum in the world of scientific world based upon the scientific method.
All this stuff happened too long ago for me to worry about it. Discussing it is one thing, proving it is quite another. 😏

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
22 Dec 08

Man, reading your post reminded me of when I used to 'jello-shots'...LOL. I can't disprove nor prove anything regarding creation/evolution. There may well be an elf in your closet. Look at the physical laws of science, astronomy, mathematics, etc., and you will see design instead of chaos. If evolution were fact, what is the purpose of life?
No no, you see design because you want/need to see design.
A few questions if you will...

1. How far into "the physical laws of science, astronomy, mathematics, etc.," have you ever looked?. the bibles creation story and these laws are mutually exclusive.

2. How could you possibly recognize design out of context? Without having seen a similar design before then your could never recognize it.

3. Why does life need a purpose?

w

Moves
22 Dec 08

Originally posted by bill718
All this stuff happened too long ago for me to worry about it. Discussing it is one thing, proving it is quite another. 😏
Proving it is one thing, however, saying it is plausable is quite another.

Z

Moves
23 Dec 08

To what degree you give the truth within the Bible in terms of Archaeology is your own business, however, the fact remains that you made the statement that their is no truth in the Bible other than to love God and love others. Do you now retract that statement?

The fact remains that the stories within the Bible are based upon real people during real historic times. To not recognize this fact is disingenuous.
oh so by your logic, biblical archeology seeks to discover the trumpet that made the walls of jericho fall. or the woodwork of noah's boat.

get real. of course some of the bible is real. by claiming jesus's message is real i already admitted to there being a jesus in the first place. but to think that the bible's purpose is to narrate the history of the region is the same as to think the pyramids are 3 piles of rock.

Z

Moves
23 Dec 08

The phrase 'Creation Myths' is an oxymoron because creationism is no myth. The heavens and earth are 'designed' by a creator. One cannot disprove this; even the atheists and evolution-geeks are stymied by this fact.
one cannot disprove the hot naked babe that dances next to me which only i can ever see or touch
. but it isn't up to the rest of the world to prove something i claim, it's up to me. now, if you would admit that you have faith in my naked babe, that would require no proof of existence.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
23 Dec 08

and you will see design instead of chaos

No, what is seen is coherence rather than chaos.

Whether or not such coherence is (must be) the result of design is a whole other question.

If evolution were fact, what is the purpose of life?

Do you need to have a purpose given to you for your life to be significant to you? Suppose you must discover/decide your own purpose: would that make your life less significant to you? Would it make the lives of those whom you love and cherish less significant to you?

If so, then it would seem obvious that it is not they, in themselves, who hold any significance for you at all. If your life has no significance, except in terms of some purpose given to you, then does it not follow that no one else’s life has any significance—for you—except as they might serve that given purpose? In such case, how is the value of anyone else’s life anything but instrumental for you—valued inasmuch as they serve that given purpose, devalued inasmuch as they don’t?

d

Break-twitching

Moves
23 Dec 08

Originally posted by Mexico
No no, you see design because you want/need to see design.
A few questions if you will...

1. How far into "the physical laws of science, astronomy, mathematics, etc.," have you ever looked?. the bibles creation story and these laws are mutually exclusive.

2. How could you possibly recognize design out of context? Without having seen a similar design before then your could never recognize it.

3. Why does life need a purpose?
1. I haven't needed to look very far into the scientific realm to come to my realization regarding creation. How can the Bible and science be 'mutually exclusive'? There has been no proof indicated that creation is a myth. Science cannot disprove ceation, and it never will; however, in time we all shall see the light.

2. I don't see design 'out-of-context'. I see the earth, solar system, and universe as designed by an intelligent being because there is nothing random; everthing is precise and mathematically explained. How can perfect logic develop from evolutionary chaos?

3. Life doesn't NEED a purpose; however, we as humans are devoid of purpose if we live just to live. God put us here for a purpose. Don't you, as a human being, long to know this purpose, or are you content to just remain alive until you die?

These are my opinions and are not meant to substitute for faith.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
23 Dec 08

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
one cannot disprove the hot naked babe that dances next to me which only i can ever see or touch
. but it isn't up to the rest of the world to prove something i claim, it's up to me. now, if you would admit that you have faith in my naked babe, that would require no proof of existence.
If you say that you have a naked babe, who am I to dispute you?

d

Break-twitching

Moves
23 Dec 08

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]and you will see design instead of chaos

No, what is seen is coherence rather than chaos.

Whether or not such coherence is (must be) the result of design is a whole other question.

If evolution were fact, what is the purpose of life?

Do you need to have a purpose given to you for your life to be significant to you? ...[text shortened]... or you—valued inasmuch as they serve that given purpose, devalued inasmuch as they don’t?[/b]
Wow , that was HEAVY.....yes, I have to have a purpose for life, as we all do; it is human nature to need to know why we are here, true? No human in the history of man has not needed a purpose for living.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
23 Dec 08

Wow , that was HEAVY.....yes, I have to have a purpose for life, as we all do; it is human nature to need to know why we are here, true? No human in the history of man has not needed a purpose for living.
So—

If you did not think that you had had a purpose of life given to you (or set out for you) you would commit suicide? You would cease to love those whom you now love?

What do you think is the purpose of a symphony? Of listening to a symphony? Can you decide—without being told what such a purpose must be?

Moves
23 Dec 08
1 edit

The fact remains that the stories within the Bible are based upon real people during real historic times. To not recognize this fact is disingenuous.
Not all the stories in the Bible are based on real people during real historic times. There are both people and stories that, while based on a historic event, are not factual in the sense that we understand history today. Therefore, the Bible must be viewed with a highly critical eye from the perspective of histronics.

Moses, for example - there is no consensus that Moses was an actual person, much less a consensus as to what a historical Moses did or did not do if in fact he existed. There is much theological thinking that regards him as mythical or a conglomerate of actual persons.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
23 Dec 08

Originally posted by Badwater
Not all the stories in the Bible are based on real people during real historic times. There are both people and stories that, while based on a historic event, are not factual in the sense that we understand history today. Therefore, the Bible must be viewed with a highly critical eye from the perspective of histronics.

Moses, for example - there is no co ...[text shortened]... e is much theological thinking that regards him as mythical or a conglomerate of actual persons.
No consensus that Moses was an actual person? What are you talking about? Santa Clause may not be an actual person, but Moses? What is your consensus that Moses did not exist?