Conclusion of Alister McGrath's lecture .....

Conclusion of Alister McGrath's lecture .....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
29 Jan 07

http://www.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/faraday/CIS/mcgrath/lecture.html#_edn2

Conclusion.

This lecture has barely scratched the surface of a series of fascinating questions raised by the writings of Richard Dawkins. Some of these are directly, others indirectly, religious in nature. I am conscious that I have failed to deal with any of them in the detail that they rightly demand. I have opened up some questions for further discussion, and have not settled anything - except that the issues raised here are important and interesting. Dawkins asks all the right questions, and gives some interesting answers. They're not particularly reliable answers, admittedly, unless you happen to believe that religious people are science-hating fools who are into `blind faith' and other unmentionable things in a big way.

It's time to move the discussion on, and draw a line under the unreliable account of the relation of science and religion that Dawkins offers. An evidence-based approach to the question is much more complex than Dawkins' `path of simplicity and straight thinking'.

The question of whether there is a God, and what that God might be like, has not - despite the predictions of overconfident Darwinians - gone away since Darwin, and remains of major intellectual and personal importance. Some minds may be closed; the evidence and the debate, however, are not. Scientists and theologians have so much to learn from each other. Listening to each other, we might hear the galaxies sing.[51] Or even the heavens declaring the glory of the Lord (Psalm 19:1).

Thank you for listening!

S

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Thank you for listening!
Thank you for boring us with another cut and paste job!

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by Starrman
Thank you for boring us with another cut and paste job!
I love you too Starrman.

w

Moves
29 Jan 07

Conclusion.

This lecture has barely scratched the surface of a series of fascinating questions raised by the writings of Richard Dawkins. Some of these are directly, others indirectly, religious in nature. I am conscious that I have failed to deal with any of them in the detail th ...[text shortened]... even the heavens declaring the glory of the Lord (Psalm 19:1).

Thank you for listening!
what is your point?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
29 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wedgehead2
what is your point?
Read the lecture:

It is particularly interesting for people opposing the views of political guru Richard Dawkins ... and of course the above lecture is also interesting for those parrotting his views .......

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by wedgehead2
what is your point?
He has no point. He only has other people's points.

L

Moves
29 Jan 07

Read the lecture:

It is particularly interesting for people opposing the views of political guru Richard Dawkins ... and of course the above lecture is also interesting for those parrotting his views .......
Which part of the lecture were you hoping to target for discussion?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
30 Jan 07
5 edits

Originally posted by LemonJello
Which part of the lecture were you hoping to target for discussion?
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=59642

What do you think ? Does the evolution theory eliminate God from the scene as Dawkins suggests ?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
30 Jan 07

What do you think ? Does the evolution theory eliminate God from the scene as Dawkins suggests ?
In everything I've read of Dawkins, he merely says that evolution eliminates the need for God. We have a proven alternative answer to "where did life come from?" other than "Goddunnit."

l

London

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by telerion
In everything I've read of Dawkins, he merely says that evolution eliminates the need for God. We have a proven alternative answer to "where did life come from?" other than "Goddunnit."
But does it eliminate the need for God? How is "Chancedunnit" different from "Goddunnit"?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
But does it eliminate the need for God? How is "Chancedunnit" different from "Goddunnit"?
Perhaps wotdunnit is not the right question.

Perhaps it weren't "dun" at all.

L

Moves
05 Feb 07

Dawkins' contention is not merely that evolutionary theory renders your God (in particular) explanatorily unnecessary. He would agree with that I'm sure, but he claims something far stronger. If you read, for example, chapter 4 of The God Delusion, he argues that "there almost certainly is no God". Here, he means to say not that your God is explanatorily unnecessary, but rather that your God concept (or more generally, the concept of a divine creator) doesn't constitute any sort of probabilistically viable explanation at all. He thinks that any such creator would be "The Ultimate Boeing 747", and that his existence is just extraordinarily unlikely.

Also, McGrath is just wrong when he says that Dawkins' arguments -- if correct -- only support agnosticism: if Dawkins is right, then it is extremely unlikely that God exists.

L

Moves
05 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
How is "Chancedunnit" different from "Goddunnit"?
Well, in Dawkins' view, 'Chancedunnit' is extraordinarily unlikely, whereas 'Goddunnit' is even more extraordinarily unlikely. He of course therefore rejects both of them.

L

Moves
05 Feb 07
4 edits

Read the lecture:

Also, McGrath seems confused to me in his section on Faith and Evidence. Dawkins is using the word 'faith' more or less in the proper sense: as an epistemic pejorative. The point is that 'faith' (prima facie) constitutes dereliction of noetic duty. As Dawkins points out, one hallmark of 'faith' is endorsing propositional content even in the face of countervailing evidence. I would say that the most egregious sort of 'faith' is when the cognitive faculties are more or less capable; the epistemic environment is more or less congenial; but the mental exercise is ultimately aimed at something other than the production of only true endorsements. That's basically a form of self-delusion.

So 'faith' is defined more or less properly. Then the discussion should be over whether or not theistic belief qualifies as 'faith', as Dawkins seems categorically to suggest it does.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by LemonJello
Also, McGrath seems confused to me in his section on Faith and Evidence. Dawkins is using the word 'faith' more or less in the proper sense: as an epistemic pejorative. The point is that 'faith' (prima facie) constitutes dereliction of noetic duty. As Dawkins points out, one hallmark of 'faith' is endorsing propositional content even in t tic belief qualifies as 'faith', as Dawkins seems categorically to suggest it does.
That sounds pretty impressive, but can you tell me what it means ?