1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 13:37
    Originally posted by Kepler
    How can something boundless be greater than another boundless thing? Well, in the case of the numbers I quoted earlier the natural numbers are countable, that's what we do with them, but the reals are not. There are literally too many to count because between every pair of them there is an infinite number of other real numbers lurking. It doesn't matter how c ...[text shortened]... ke matters worse, most of those numbers are irrational, the ones we can't write down exactly.
    and the really cool thing is that the rationals are countable...but between any two different rationals is also an infinite supply of different rationals too!
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 13:52
    Originally posted by Agerg
    and the really cool thing is that the rationals are countable...but between any two different rationals is also an infinite supply of different rationals too!
    That's why I like the integers. There aren't any sneaky integers lurking between any adjacent integers. You know where you are with an integer.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 13:59

I don't think Peter knew any more, or even as much, about how time and space work as we do now. I am also not in favour of the god of the gaps idea. That is, I am not in favour of using god(s) like wallpaper to paper over the gaps in our knowledge. I am quite happy to admit that I have not the foggiest idea whether god or gods exist but can say that so far "I have no need of the god hypothesis" (Simon Laplace).
    Though finite, apparently you've chosen to use your own knowledge.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 16:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Though finite, apparently you've chosen to use your own knowledge.
    True, but what else do I have? If I used someone else's knowledge it would then be mine and I might have to verify that it is up to snuff. Even then my knowledge would be finite for I am a finite kind of guy.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 19:07
    True, but what else do I have? If I used someone else's knowledge it would then be mine and I might have to verify that it is up to snuff. Even then my knowledge would be finite for I am a finite kind of guy.
    This is why we must learn to depend on the wisdom and knowledge given from God, who has all knowledge.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree