Christians ought to be the strongest supports of...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
31 Jan 14

Originally posted by whodey
Now we have men completely ignore what God has said while saying that God does not exist.
I'm starting to pity you - I think some of the shingles are sliding off the roof over there.

But I saw one sentence in there that merited a reply. "Ignoring what God has said" - the trouble is, it's never God speaking for himself. It's always some human being telling us to trust him, because he knows how to read God's word. Who is to say who has the correct reading? We can't even agree on his existence, let alone what he said.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
17 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I'm starting to pity you - I think some of the shingles are sliding off the roof over there.

But I saw one sentence in there that merited a reply. "Ignoring what God has said" - the trouble is, it's never God speaking for himself. It's always some human being telling us to trust him, because he knows how to read God's word. Who is to say who has the correct reading? We can't even agree on his existence, let alone what he said.
"We can't even agree on his existence, let alone what he said." -SG

May I ask who is "we"? (lower case second person pronoun noted)

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
17 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
...separation of Church and State.

The American Colonists were strongly motivated to come here by a desire to worship God in their own way. In England, they were forced by the King to follow the dictates of the Church of England.

That is exactly why the government should remain as neutral as possible when it comes to matters of religion. When gover ...[text shortened]... ould also not want a teacher of another religion teaching my children to pray to Mecca on a rug.

"...separation of Church and State."

Of course; Christianity accurately understood does not endorse state imposed systems of faith teaching or belief.