Christians Failed in Response to Virginia Tech....

Christians Failed in Response to Virginia Tech....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Apr 07

Christians do not make me sick but I was a little bit surprised by the number of Christian people blogging about the Virginia Tech massacre and rather than actually showing solidarity with the victims and the families of the victims, instead went into philosophical discussions about the nature of God, attempting to reconcile competing realities (God as all-knowing, all-good, all-powerful; evil’s existence&hellipšŸ˜‰...

For more please finish the next two paragraphs at http://kakistocrat.blogsome.com/

I would be honoured by your comments there whether positive or negative...

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Apr 07

Originally posted by Friar
Christians do not make me sick but I was a little bit surprised by the number of Christian people blogging about the Virginia Tech massacre and rather than actually showing solidarity with the victims and the families of the victims, instead went into philosophical discussions about the nature of God, attempting to reconcile competing realities (God as all-kno ...[text shortened]... crat.blogsome.com/

Those that practice what they are suppose to will not do their 'good works for you to see', rather only for God too, those that want to just
blow smoke will.
Kelly

W

Moves
19 Apr 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
Those that practice what they are suppose to will not do their 'good works for you to see', rather only for God too, those that want to just
blow smoke will.
Kelly
I thought the point of christianity was to spread gods word through practice.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Apr 07

Originally posted by Wayne1324
I thought the point of christianity was to spread gods word through practice.
Nope, we don't deal with gods anything, God yes. What we are
suppose to do, is live our lives humbly before God, doing our
good works not before man, but God. If you do your good works
before man for man's eyes, that is your reward, all the little cheers
and pats on the back you get.
Kelly

BM

RDU NC

Moves
19 Apr 07

Kelly
let your light so shine before men that they may see your good work and glorify your god who is in heaven.

it's not the works. it's the motivation. xians should be seen doing more good in the world. xians just need more humility to deal with the praise that will follow. xians must learn to transfer the glory to god.

E

Moves
20 Apr 07

i say: let him defend himself

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 07

Kelly
You must not have read the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 5: 14-16: Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.

16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

JJ

Moves
20 Apr 07

Kelly
What utter crap you spout.....good grief !!!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
There is a difference between god, gods, and God if you don't know
it you should learn it.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by Big Mac
let your light so shine before men that they may see your good work and glorify your god who is in heaven.

it's not the works. it's the motivation. xians should be seen doing more good in the world. xians just need more humility to deal with the praise that will follow. xians must learn to transfer the glory to god.
By all means yes, but that is not the same thing as simply doing
things to be seen for being seens sake.
Kelly

ZellulƤrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
You have to get used to the way he talks. I have come to appreciate his point of view.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
21 Apr 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
You must not have read the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 5: 14-16: Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.

16 [b]Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven
.[/b]
What about the passage where Jesus says something to the extent of "pray in your room, not before others" and continues on, saying "if you are fasting (which could apply to other actions other than fasting), wear your usual clothes, don't put a bag on your head and cover yourself with ashes (drawing attention to yourself)." Again, this is a VERY off-the-top-of-my-head reccolection, but it gets the point across.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Apr 07

There is a difference between god, gods, and God if you don't know
it you should learn it.
Kelly
There's a difference between to and too as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Apr 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
What about the passage where Jesus says something to the extent of "pray in your room, not before others" and continues on, saying "if you are fasting (which could apply to other actions other than fasting), wear your usual clothes, don't put a bag on your head and cover yourself with ashes (drawing attention to yourself)." Again, this is a VERY off-the-top-of-my-head reccolection, but it gets the point across.
What point? Neither of those are "good works" and neither are relevant to the poster's point above: " I thought the point of christianity was to spread god's word through practice."

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Apr 07

Originally posted by Friar
Christians do not make me sick but I was a little bit surprised by the number of Christian people blogging about the Virginia Tech massacre and rather than actually showing solidarity with the victims and the families of the victims, instead went into philosophical discussions about the nature of God, attempting to reconcile competing realities (God as all-kno ...[text shortened]... crat.blogsome.com/

Events like the V-tech shooting are what created arguments like "the Problem of Evil" in the first place. It's only natural to struggle to understand why such massive acts of evil occur.

The Kushner complaint seems unwarranted. Not every book on suffering (or even most of them) should be obligated to deal with the issue from the stance of comforting the actual sufferers. The authors have a right to pick their audience. If you wish to seek consolation in books, it's up to you to find the right ones.