Christian Difference

Christian Difference

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
14 Apr 07

Just wondering, I have never known, what is the difference between all the different denominations in Christianity? E.g, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Orthodox, Unorthodox, or whatever else there might be.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
14 Apr 07

Originally posted by prosoccer
Just wondering, I have never known, what is the difference between all the different denominations in Christianity? E.g, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Orthodox, Unorthodox, or whatever else there might be.
Generally, they all adhere to different ways of interpretting what it
means to be a Christian. There would be no reasonable way of
summarizing the positions because there are so many. For example,
amongst Lutherans in America alone there are three major
divisions: ELCA (the largest), Missori Synod and Wisconsin Synod.
Each has slightly different liturgical standards and theological tenets.
They each believe that the other is Christian, but that they are
somewhat misguided.

The same can be said of Methodists and Baptists; Roman Catholics
tend to be more outwardly orthodox (though in practice this is not the
case) and, as we speak, the Episcopal Church stands to divide in twain
over the issue of homosexuality.

The best way to learn of the differences is to research them through
their own websites and ask/email leaders in their community any
specific questions you might have.

Nemesio

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
14 Apr 07

Yeah, I think there are 1000+ sects of Christianity, each a little different from the last. In addition to having slightly different ideas on Christian life, they have different ideas on church, too. For example, some believe women should not be involved in services; some do not have musical instruments in services, etc.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
14 Apr 07

According to ivanhoe, Roman Catholics are the only ones who understand the Bible.

According to RBHILL, Roman Catholics are hell bound.

When you learn to interpolate among these sorts of viewpoints, you'll get the picture.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
According to ivanhoe, Roman Catholics are the only ones who understand the Bible.

When you learn to interpolate among these sorts of viewpoints, you'll get the picture.
Obviously: We're going to hell, but if there's a Bible quiz when we get there, we'll pass! 😉 Maybe we'll get longer coffee breaks or something.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
15 Apr 07

It depends thought. If a Catholic person accepts Christ then they are saved.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
15 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by RBHILL
What if a Messianic Jew accepted Christ?

Note: Messianic Jews, as the name implies, are Jews who believe that Christ was the messiah but practice Judaism in all other aspects of religion.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
15 Apr 07

Yeah, but that's a really big "if".

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
15 Apr 07

Yeah, but that's a really big "if".
I'm trying to figure out how someone could claim to be a member of any Christian denomination yet not accept Christ. How is that possible?

E

Moves
15 Apr 07

on the bright side they have something in common, theyre all a buncha crap

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Apr 07

Misinterpretation.

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
Yeah, I think there are 1000+ sects of Christianity, each a little different from the last. In addition to having slightly different ideas on Christian life, they have different ideas on church, too. For example, some believe women should not be involved in services; some do not have musical instruments in services, etc.
And they actually think these things matter? Yeesh.

R

California

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by reader1107
I'm trying to figure out how someone could claim to be a member of any Christian denomination yet not accept Christ. How is that possible?
If they add rules to get to heaven then they truly don't accept Christ. Christ did all the work so that we wouldn't have to.

R

California

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
What if a Messianic Jew accepted Christ?

Note: Messianic Jews, as the name implies, are Jews who believe that Christ was the messiah but practice Judaism in all other aspects of religion.
Christ came to finish the Law. Yes, they can but it is not like they are doing it for brownie points to get into heaven.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
15 Apr 07

Of course, they need to accept Christ in the way your perverse cult
defines it.