1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 20:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    From what I gather, this would be true because of the belief that only through the belief that Christ is your saviour can one be freed from the "penalty of sin". So it's "saviour" from the "penalty of sin". It's the eternal "get out of jail free" card. Of course, Jesus didn't teach this when He walked the Earth, but that doesn't seem to deter Christians f ...[text shortened]... t "Buddha , the Zen and Sufi masters, and other assorted scallywags" provide this.
    Well to me it just wordology or whatever. The reality is what matters. Was the historical Buddha as real as the historical Jesus? Their message may have differed on certain points but to someone like me, they are essentially saying the same thing- it is upto me to "walk the path". My path. Which is for me to recognize.

I've met many a (what I would call) "intelligent christians", who upon hearing my take on things and then observing the way I held myself, said I was alright and were sure I was doing Christs work.
    These guys typically did not really stick to one church - some didn't ever go - and I could feel a mutual respect welling up inside me, so the "Christian" tag was no problem. Sometimes it is though.

But essentially "saving" to me is equavalent to the Buddha's "enlightenment" , even if others dont share this simplistic interpretation.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 20:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    If a belief that "Christ is the only one" means one doesn't beat one's children when one gets into black moods [and other damaging "follies"], isn't that a beneficial thing that we can welcome?
    Yes it is. and I've said this before, how Christianity has done a lot of good,especially with those kind of base offenders.
    Now the topic of this thread is not where you are leading it, so I'm sure you will understand if I dont respond to any other questions that are trailing off into waters I wish not to discuss about 🙂
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 20:511 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Well to me it just wordology or whatever. The reality is what matters. Was the historical Buddha as real as the historical Jesus? Their message may have differed on certain points but to someone like me, they are essentially saying the same thing- it is upto me to "walk the path". My path. Which is for me to recognize.

I've met many a (what I would c uddha's "enlightenment" , even if others dont share this simplistic interpretation.
    From your OP, it sounded like you were asking about why many Christians take the view that "Christ is the only saviour". That's what I based my response upon.

There's a distinction that needs to be made between the "message of Jesus" and the doctrine of Christianity. They are very different things.

Even at that, from what I can tell, the "message of Jesus" points to a different path than the "message of Buddha". To put it in a nutshell, it seems that Jesus points to a path of "righteousness" while Buddha points to a path for the "end of suffering". Doesn't seem like they are one in the same.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 20:59
    From your OP, it sounded like you were asking about why many Christians take the view that "Christ is the only saviour". That's what I based my response upon.

There's a distinction that needs to be made between the "message of Jesus" and the doctrine of Christianity. They are very different things.

Even at that, from what I can tell, the "message o ...[text shortened]... to a path for the "end of suffering". Doesn't seem like they are one in the same.
    To me all the histories and religions, gods and demons, all figure in this grand narrative. To me it is open ended to the extent to as much as you allow.

Essentially I am saying that it is only through ones perception of the world that one can choose.
    Irony abounds in Buddhism and Christianity.

I'm pretty sure we are clear enough on each others position on this.
    ps. It does seem like they are one in the same to me 🙂

(I may have more later-brain still firing up)
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 00:14
    To me all the histories and religions, gods and demons, all figure in this grand narrative. To me it is open ended to the extent to as much as you allow.

Essentially I am saying that it is only through ones perception of the world that one can choose.
    Irony abounds in Buddhism and Christianity.

I'm pretty sure we are clear enough on each others ...[text shortened]... es seem like they are one in the same to me 🙂

(I may have more later-brain still firing up)
    This is too vague to find much to comment on. Perhaps you'll flesh it out when you're done "firing up" 🙂
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 19:43
    This is too vague to find much to comment on. Perhaps you'll flesh it out when you're done "firing up" 🙂
    Yes that was an awful post. upon consideration I have come up with this: Spirituality comes from within. Everyone has an inkling of it,if not a bit more to it. It seems major parts of christianity seem to focus on the messenger and not the message, thus making JC an idol and missing the point entirely.

To me Guatam Buddha and JC were similar guys with similar messages - it just seems as if the Buddhist doctrines have been better 'kept'.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 20:061 edit

To me Guatam Buddha and JC were similar guys with similar messages - it just seems as if the Buddhist doctrines have been better 'kept'.
    The thing that makes Jesus different from all the others is the resurection. He died, was buried, rose and now is alive for ever more. Rev 1:18, John 11:25

-K
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 20:26
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    The thing that makes Jesus different from all the others is the resurection. He died, was buried, rose and now is alive for ever more. Rev 1:18, John 11:25

-K
    Thank you. Yes even Jack Sparrow had "seen a thing or two" when asked about the supernatural. I'd rather focus on the similarities as I believe we are all unique
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 20:381 edit
    Thank you. Yes even Jack Sparrow had "seen a thing or two" when asked about the supernatural. I'd rather focus on the similarities as I believe we are all unique
    I yield.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 21:55
    Yes that was an awful post. upon consideration I have come up with this: Spirituality comes from within. Everyone has an inkling of it,if not a bit more to it. It seems major parts of christianity seem to focus on the messenger and not the message, thus making JC an idol and missing the point entirely.

It just seems as if the Buddhist doctrines have been better 'kept'.

I'm not so sure about this. Do you know of a resource that shows the original doctrine of Guatama Buddha?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 21:57
    Originally posted by kd2acz

-K
    I'd think that that doctrine is part of what KA was referring to below:

"It seems major parts of christianity seem to focus on the messenger and not the message, thus making JC an idol and missing the point entirely."
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 22:53
    I'd think that that doctrine is part of what KA was referring to below:

"It seems major parts of christianity seem to focus on the messenger and not the message, thus making JC an idol and missing the point entirely."
    I think the point is that there is only one Savior, Christ Jesus. What do you think the point is? 😏
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 23:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think the point is that there is only one Savior, Christ Jesus. What do you think the point is? 😏
    what do you think JC "saves" us from? (anyone?)
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 00:174 edits
    what do you think JC "saves" us from? (anyone?)
    I think Christ Jesus saves us from the death of the soul and the fate of being without a body. He also saves us from being separated from God. (Anyone else?)
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 04:061 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think Christ Jesus saves us from the death of the soul and the fate of being without a body. He also saves us from being separated from God. (Anyone else?)
    Better answer than I expected, but ....

"I think Christ Jesus saves us from the death of the soul and the fate of being without a body."
    Do you think many Christians would agree with this? You must admit it raises way more questions than it answers - which is not always a bad thing - but "death of the soul"?

(Can I just start with that for now?) Was it not you that said that the soul was immortal? Are you implying that after physical death the "bad apples" will 'die' again as they come to the Pearly Gates and "God" sends them away? Something like that? (Or something else?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree