Christ Distilled

Christ Distilled

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
26 Oct 09

Originally posted by Rajk999
Is the Songs of Solomon about Christ's love for the Church? Or is it what it says it is ... simply poetic details of Solomon and his lover/s?

While you are free to add to what the Bible says at your own discretion, you often do so to your own detriment. Christ told the parable of the Good Samaritan in response to two questions "Master, what shall I do to ...[text shortened]... isagree totally with you .... this parable does in fact have a lot to do with who is saved.
I think it has double meanings. In fact, the Bible is full of them. Even if the parable was ONLY about love for your neighbor and not God's relationship to mankind, the fact remains that the Samaritan and Jew should have been natural enemies. Therefore it was a mandate for people to love even their enemies. It is a powerful command.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Oct 09

Originally posted by whodey
I think it has double meanings. In fact, the Bible is full of them. Even if the parable was ONLY about love for your neighbor and not God's relationship to mankind, the fact remains that the Samaritan and Jew should have been natural enemies. Therefore it was a mandate for people to love even their enemies. It is a powerful command.
Why do you keep using the term 'natural enemies'? The Samaritans were simply considered inferior. You must be a drama queen to keep using such a strong term. You 'think' it has a double meaning .. 'think' ? Christ is sure about what He is saying ... lets see .. who should I believe .... 🙂

Illinois

Moves
26 Oct 09
1 edit

You all miss an important aspect of the story of the Good Samaritan. The Samaritan and the Jew he helped were natural enemies. In fact, the same could be said for a rebellious and sinful human race in relation to a holy and just God. Also, the whole arguement over who is saved and who is not is of little consequence. The whole aim of the gospel is the r ...[text shortened]... e slaves to sin through the power of one Jesus Chrsit. I have experienced this has anyone else?
I'm not sure the whole aim of the Gospel is redemption from sin. It seems a rather limited view that our lives simply be about not sinning and then going to heaven. The conversation Jesus had with the Jewish lawyer, wherein Jesus shares the parable of the Good Samaritan, I think goes to the heart of what it is to walk fully in the light of the Gospel.

Jesus affirmed that the inheritance of eternal life is for those who love the Lord with all their soul, strength, and mind, and love their neighbors as themselves. "Do this and you will live," he says. What the Gospel is all about, rather, as Christ affirms here, is discipleship, and being set free from sin merely a means to that end.

We can safely say, as Justin Martyr did, that anyone who doesn't live as Christ taught is not a Christian, even if they profess his teachings (or, in the case of the lawyer, know the Law but not obey it).

We all stand in need of testing ourselves, judging ourselves, and humbling ourselves in order that we may see truly if we are living lives in the manner of the Good Samaritan or not. We needn't worry whether we are saved or not based on any other indicator besides our behavior. If we mourn for our sins, hunger and thirst after righteousness, have a passion for God and the things of God, as well as a passion for God's people, not to mention strangers and enemies, then we can be sure that God has already begun a work in us which he will not leave undone. If these are lacking, then we still need to be saved. I believe it's that simple.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Oct 09

Originally posted by epiphinehas
I'm not sure the whole aim of the Gospel is redemption from sin. It seems a rather limited view that our lives simply be about not sinning and then going to heaven. The conversation Jesus had with the Jewish lawyer, wherein Jesus shares the parable of the Good Samaritan, I think goes to the heart of what it is to walk fully in the light of the Gospel. ...[text shortened]... done. If these are lacking, then we still need to be saved. I believe it's that simple.
Nicely said .. and you did not even mention "saved by faith alone' or 'once saved always saved' .. refreshing !

Illinois

Moves
27 Oct 09
1 edit

Nicely said .. and you did not even mention "saved by faith alone' or 'once saved always saved' .. refreshing !
If you notice, I didn't refute the doctrine of "saved by faith".

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Oct 09

If you notice, I didn't refute the doctrine of "saved by faith".
Well .. you cant refute the 'saved by faith' doctrine because it does exist. Many were saved by faith and many will be. But its does not apply to everyone, and its irresponsible for church leaders to fool their congregation into thinking that its all thats required.

w

Moves
27 Oct 09
1 edit

I'm not sure the whole aim of the Gospel is redemption from sin. It seems a rather limited view that our lives simply be about not sinning and then going to heaven. The conversation Jesus had with the Jewish lawyer, wherein Jesus shares the parable of the Good Samaritan, I think goes to the heart of what it is to walk fully in the light of the Gospel.
done. If these are lacking, then we still need to be saved. I believe it's that simple.
But the ONLY way to enter into discipleship, is to love the Lord with all your heart and soul and to love your neighbor as yourself. After all, Christ said that if you love me, keep my commandments thus, discipleship is born. I would agree that since we have a sin nature, that avoiding sinful behavoir is fruitless endevour without discipleship. In short, without Christ at the helm, we will wreck the ship time and time again.

w

Moves
27 Oct 09

Are you implying that salvation can be earned without faith?

w

Moves
27 Oct 09

Why do you keep using the term 'natural enemies'? The Samaritans were simply considered inferior. You must be a drama queen to keep using such a strong term. You 'think' it has a double meaning .. 'think' ? Christ is sure about what He is saying ... lets see .. who should I believe .... 🙂
They had no dealings with each other. Term it how you wish.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Oct 09

Are you implying that salvation can be earned without faith?
Obviously you dont read these posts carefully before asking questions. Menace asked me a similar question on page 4. My answer was :

"I think you should read Romans 2 very carefully. Paul speaks of Gentiles who had no knowledge of the law of God ('faithless' by definition), but who do good works. Those Gentiles will receive salvation."

w

Moves
27 Oct 09
1 edit

Obviously you dont read these posts carefully before asking questions. Menace asked me a similar question on page 4. My answer was :

"I think you should read Romans 2 very carefully. Paul speaks of Gentiles who had no knowledge of the law of God ('faithless' by definition), but who do good works. Those Gentiles will receive salvation."
I think the issue is having the law of love for our God and fellow man in our hearts. Once we have this, everything else falls into place whether it be faith or discipleship. After all, what loving relationship do we have in which we do not place our faith in the other party? What loving relaionship do we have in which we do not wish to please the other party just like we do with discipleship? As Paul once stated in 1 Corinthians 13, love in the cornerstone of our faith and everything else will pass away except love. Though we see through a darken glass.....

As for the question as to who is saved and who is not, I find the question pointless. Who can tell but God? All we have is a light and a truth to follow in which to lead us out of darkness and that truth is one Jesus Christ.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Oct 09

I think the issue is having the law of love for our God and fellow man in our hearts. Once we have this, everything else falls into place whether it be faith or discipleship. After all, what loving relationship do we have in which we do not place our faith in the other party? What loving relaionship do we have in which we do not wish to please the other pa ...[text shortened]... ht and a truth to follow in which to lead us out of darkness and that truth is one Jesus Christ.
You are absolutely correct. The question is not who is saved but what do we need to do to be saved. Its the most fundamental question in Christianity. A wrong answer here is fatal and Christianity has taken a wrong turn by teaching faith alone is required. Judging by your pervious posts, you are a victim of this false teaching. Although now your stance appears to have changed.

On the question of Romans 2, you did not comment on it but essentially you are saying the same thing with your Corinthians quote. Love of fellowman is the key ... its the essence of all religion. And according to Romans 2, Gentiles who dont know the law but whose conscience guides them to do the works of the law can get salvation. Its a statement (if its correct) that turns modern Christianity upside down.

w

Moves
27 Oct 09

You are absolutely correct. The question is [b]not who is saved but what do we need to do to be saved. Its the most fundamental question in Christianity. A wrong answer here is fatal and Christianity has taken a wrong turn by teaching faith alone is required. Judging by your pervious posts, you are a victim of this false teaching. Although now your stance appears to have changed.
My stance has not changed. For example, if you adhere to the teachings of Christ and partake of his body, as was symbolic of the first communion he and his followers partook of, and have faith in his sacrifice, thus abiding in his love, then all is well. Of course, what about those who have not heard or reject him as their Lord? What will be their fate?

w

Moves
27 Oct 09

On the question of Romans 2, you did not comment on it but essentially you are saying the same thing with your Corinthians quote. Love of fellowman is the key ... its the essence of all religion. And according to Romans 2, Gentiles who dont know the law but whose conscience guides them to do the works of the law can get salvation. Its a statement (if its correct) that turns modern Christianity upside down.[/b]
Look, love demands justice!! So what is the justice for a sinner? We, therefore, require atonement through one Jesus Christ. NOw as to what happens to those who reject such atonement or have never heard, that is up for debate. Why not let God be the judge?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Oct 09

My stance has not changed. For example, if you adhere to the teachings of Christ and partake of his body, as was symbolic of the first communion he and his followers partook of, and have faith in his sacrifice, thus abiding in his love, then all is well. Of course, what about those who have not heard or reject him as their Lord? What will be their fate?
You did not read Romans 2