1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:38
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    she made her decisions. she wasn't coerced. she became a nun by choice and this event is no different than someone buying a vacuum cleaner from a persuasive door to door salesman.

catholic church ruined her life? hardly. at most she ruined her life herself.
    Not by herself. She had help.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:43
    Originally posted by josephw
    Not by herself. She had help.
    she is responsible. unless she is retarded in any way which she isn't she is responsible of her own actions.

i would understand if she were kidnapped, if the church constantly removed all choices from her life. but she was invited to become a nun. when you buy an oven, do you consider the person who sold you the oven responsible for you having an oven?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:50
    she is responsible. unless she is retarded in any way which she isn't she is responsible of her own actions.

i would understand if she were kidnapped, if the church constantly removed all choices from her life. but she was invited to become a nun. when you buy an oven, do you consider the person who sold you the oven responsible for you having an oven?
    Wouldn't you admit though that there are pitfalls in life that the naive fall into? And that some are taken advantage of?

I don't disagree that the woman made her own choices, but that doesn't excuse those that lead people astray.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:52
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I have been through the checkout line in a grocery store m any times in my life. I have never been asked by the cashier if I wanted to be a cashier.

I have been to the car mechanic many times in my life. I have never been asked by any of them if I wanted to be a car mechanic.

I sometimes will see my mailman and say "hi." He has never asked me if ...[text shortened]... have gone out to eat many times. I have never been asked if I wanted to be a chef or waiter.
    Church is different. Priests and nuns generally report that, when young, they enjoyed Mass, wanted daily Communion and often prayed. Those are the typical signs of a relgious vocation. So when a young person shows a particular interest in religious life, it is typical for a priest or nun to ask whether they have considered their vocation (at highschool, I, and many others, got this question from priests and brothers). There is no element of manipulation; had this woman simply responded "I have prayed to God and believe that I am not called to religious life", the nun would probably have dropped the subject.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 09:571 edit
    I don't disagree that the woman made her own choices, but that doesn't excuse those that lead people astray.
    Led her astray? Already she has served in impoverished communities, doing more Christ-like work than most fat-arse Christians at home. If she performs well in her theological studies, she might even be invited to complete a regency period in which she would pursue graduate studies, possibly doctoral education. The opportunities are huge. How is she being led astray?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 10:01
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Led her astray? Already she has served in impoverished communities, doing more Christ-like work than most fat-arse Christians at home. If she performs well in her theological studies, she might even be invited to complete a regency period in which she would pursue graduate studies, possibly doctoral education. The opportunities are huge. How is she being led astray?
    You're right. I guess I was under the impression that she was "led" astray. Even though I don't agree with the Catholic church.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 13:37
    How would you like to be a farmer?
    I'll just stick to my garden.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 14:30
    she made her decisions. she wasn't coerced.
    She wasn't coerced? She was sent away to pray for eight days. After praying for five hours straight, she reported to the priest that she wasn't hearing God's call, and he told her to get back in there and do it right this time.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 14:332 edits
    Exactly what is so controversial?
    She had been manipulated into devoting her life to an organization that believes women aren't even fit to hold a candle during mass but that can't provide any lucid answers for such a belief.

Perhaps the most ridiculous aspect of the policy is that when there aren't any boys available, then somehow girls suddenly become perfectly capable of carrying the candle. Funny how that works.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 17:00
    http://www.prattle.net/prattlepix/boston-nuns.jpg
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 18:45
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    She wasn't coerced? She was sent away to pray for eight days. After praying for five hours straight, she reported to the priest that she wasn't hearing God's call, and he told her to get back in there and do it right this time.
    Nothing in the article suggests she was "sent away" to the retreat or that the retreat was connected to the Loreto nuns. Perhaps it was a spiritual retreat organised by her own parish for which she volunteered. As the spiritual director of the retreat, the priest is supposed to provide instruction for how they should pray, what they should do...that is the point of a spiritual retreat.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 18:56
    She had been manipulated into devoting her life to an organization that believes women aren't even fit to hold a candle during mass but that can't provide any lucid answers for such a belief.

Perhaps the most ridiculous aspect of the policy is that when there aren't any boys available, then somehow girls suddenly become perfectly capable of carrying the candle. Funny how that works.
    Women are allowed to be altar-servers. There is no prohibition against that. The author of the article only argued that boys should be preferred because the role of altar-boy naturally evolves into the acolyte and then into the priesthood.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:10
    "Sent away"? She wasn't kidnapped, dude.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:17
    Nothing in the article suggests she was "sent away" to the retreat or that the retreat was connected to the Loreto nuns.
    "Two years ago, Marry sent Parra to a priest for an eight-day silent retreat."
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:20
    "Two years ago, Marry sent Parra to a priest for an eight-day silent retreat."
    My apologies. Could you find the line which says she was coerced?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree