Can you stop loving someone?

Can you stop loving someone?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes I was thinking of it more in a Biblical context, for our Greek friends had more than
one word for love, so we discern that there are many 'types', of love, romantic love
(eros) not used in scripture, brotherly love we feel for our family and friends (phileo),
love governed by principle (agape) and another (storge) which i am unsure of. Cle ...[text shortened]... the English term 'love', is not as specific as the Greek and contains
none if its nuances.
What kind of love is this "dog love" as someone referred to. Or do
consider that something else than love.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
What kind of love is this "dog love" as someone referred to. Or do
consider that something else than love.
I think it must be a kind of natural affection, therefore it would come under (phileo)
also love governed by principle (agape) to make sure that the animal is well looked
after.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Nov 11

I think it must be a kind of natural affection, therefore it would come under (phileo)
also love governed by principle (agape) to make sure that the animal is well looked
after.
Okay, thanks.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
Post sense, and stop attacking me for no reason with no basis.

The OP question asked in the abstract, whether it is possible for love to die.

The answer is and must be yes.

All evidence points to this being true.

This says nothing about any particular set of real life circumstances, which should probably
not be discussed on an open internet ...[text shortened]... e OP seems to have had a name change, which is leaving me confused as to whom I
am talking.
I haven't changed my name. You're right I wanted to know what people think about love, can it die?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
Of course you can.

How about dogs? Dogs are man's best friend. Loyal to the last. I saw an article on Yahoo the other day about a dog that is refusing to leave his master's gravesite. However, if you take the dog that loves you and you mistreat him by beating him all the time, he will start to fear you and eventually start growling at you and it's ve ...[text shortened]... on was "CAN you stop loving someone?" Clearly you can, but not under usual circumstances.
Yeah maybe or maybe even perceived maltreatment due to a persons mental health. it's so complicated, my actual circumstances- but yeah I see what you're saying and yeah I can see that it would be. I don't think dogs love anything like humans do though.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11

scriptures indicate that love never fails, so, I guess not although you would need to be
a little more specific in order for me to render anything other than a general type of
statement.
Maybe that's perfect love, which only God is capable of.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I've heard some one say that it takes half as long to properly get over a r'ship.
(For example a 10 year r'ship would take 5 years)
I'm not saying this is true, but I think it does have some truth about it. What do you think?
That's a depresing thought isn't it! I don't know to be honest, some days I feel a life time is not long enough to 'get over' this pain. Other days when I've been with freidns and family all day and we've laughed and talked about the good times that were and how things will get better, I feel like I'm going to be okay and maybe even next year I will be able to 'move on'. I think it depends wholely on if I can let go and forgive.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I've heard some one say that it takes half as long to properly get over a r'ship.
(For example a 10 year r'ship would take 5 years)
I'm not saying this is true, but I think it does have some truth about it. What do you think?
Some people 'get over' a relationship while they are still in the relationship.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by yo its me
mmm, i dont think so as the context reveals that Paul is making reference to the
Corinthians themselves.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11

mmm, i dont think so as the context reveals that Paul is making reference to the
Corinthians themselves.
But he's telling them where to aim isn't he? Not what they can and should do?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 11

Even the love of God dies. Take for example the love of God has been described as long suffering and patient and not willing that any of us should perish but all come to repentance. But even that love is withdrawn if we do not reciprocate and love back God in return. In the day of judgment those who do not accept and embrace the love of God [and we do this by obeying] will feel instead the wrath of God, not love.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11

Originally posted by Rajk999
Even the love of God dies. Take for example the love of God has been described as long suffering and patient and not willing that any of us should perish but all come to repentance. But even that love is withdrawn if we do not reciprocate and love back God in return. In the day of judgment those who do not accept and embrace the love of God [and we do this by obeying] will feel instead the wrath of God, not love.
I don't know, I don't see it that way. He is a just God who can not have sin in His presence. He loved us enough to give us all He had and free will, we chose the path that leads to our end.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 11
1 edit

But he's telling them where to aim isn't he? Not what they can and should do?
no he is clearly demonstrating that love should permeate a Christians life. Without love
knowledge is useless (1 corinthinans 13:1), even certain gifts (speaking in tongues
etc) are merely temporary, whereas love is a permanent feature, or should be in a
Christians life. I see no reason to assume that he is talking of perfect love, nor what
a Christian can or cannot do.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Nov 11
1 edit

no he is clearly demonstrating that love should permeate a Christians life. Without love
knowledge is useless (1 corinthinans 13:1), even certain gifts (speaking in tongues
etc) are merely temporary, whereas love is a permanent feature, or should be in a
Christians life. I see no reason to assume that he is talking of perfect love, nor what
a Christian can or cannot do.
I get that but as humans, I'm saying are we capable of that kind of love? I think we can aim to love completely like that and hope but we are flawed.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 11

I get that but as humans, I'm saying are we capable of that kind of love? I think we can aim to love completely like that and hope but we are flawed.
God is a just God in the sense that He will judge us fairly. The good gets reward and evil doers get punnished. Look at these verses:

Hos_9:15 All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more ..

Rom_9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

Heb_10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Clearly God withdraws his love from, and is capable of hating evil doers.