Can a christian benefit from psychotherapy?

Can a christian benefit from psychotherapy?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by josephw
I can never tell when you're serious or not!
The Spirit of the Lord is upon us.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
29 Jun 07

Can you show me where in the Bible it says that the path to God is only through the [b]written word of God?[/b]

Can you show me where I can find the path to God without the bible?[/b]
You can find the path to God through your lived experiences, the experiences and assistance of the people around you, through the natural world, through Kirksey and DrScribbles and Mimor and Jewish psychotherapists ... and the Bible. The Bible is an "and." It is not the whole thing. Lived experience leads you to want to learn more, and the Bible can be great for that if you want to know about the history of your faith. But Jesus and the disciples didn't only sit around all day reading the scrolls and interpreting them. I just don't understand the idea of limiting yourself to one avenue and then considering yourself a Christian.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
You can find the path to God through your lived experiences, the experiences and assistance of the people around you, through the natural world, through Kirksey and DrScribbles and Mimor and Jewish psychotherapists ... and the Bible. The Bible is an "and." It is not the whole thing. Lived experience leads you to want to learn more, and the Bible can b ...[text shortened]... stand the idea of limiting yourself to one avenue and then considering yourself a Christian.
"You can find the path to God through your lived experiences,"

That means absolutely nothing.
Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one cometh unto the father, but by me".

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
The Spirit of the Lord is upon us.
The spirit of Christ is IN me.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Jun 07

The spirit of Christ is IN me.
Good, I look forward to your entry in the 3rd round of the sermon competition thread.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Good, I look forward to your entry in the 3rd round of the sermon competition thread.
I'll be there!

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
29 Jun 07

"You can find the path to God through your lived experiences,"

That means absolutely nothing.
To you.

Not to others.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
To you.

Not to others.
Then others are diluted if something that means nothing means something to them!😕

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
29 Jun 07

Then others are diluted if something that means nothing means something to them!😕
deluded

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
29 Jun 07

How is it that you came to decide that reality means nothing? Does that mean that you are unable to look at your life and see moments when you felt the hand of God helping you (as opposed to the Hand of Hecate thwarting you)? You never felt or experienced God working through other people? No one was ever there once when you needed extra help? You were never able to help anyone else? I am confused because it seems like aside from the Bible, your life interpretations are the same as an atheist's.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Jun 07

How is it that you came to decide that reality means nothing? Does that mean that you are unable to look at your life and see moments when you felt the hand of God helping you (as opposed to the Hand of Hecate thwarting you)? You never felt or experienced God working through other people? No one was ever there once when you needed extra help? You wer ...[text shortened]... use it seems like aside from the Bible, your life interpretations are the same as an atheist's.
Perhaps this is a God-given opportunity for you in the fire and brimstone sermon round to preach to Josephw.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
29 Jun 07

Perhaps this is a God-given opportunity for you in the fire and brimstone sermon round to preach to Josephw.
Don't think it didn't cross my mind! 😉

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
30 Jun 07

Don't think it didn't cross my mind! 😉
Sermon written, but not addressed to Josephw. I really was going to stay out of this round, though. Maybe I'll skip the next one instead.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
30 Jun 07
1 edit

Sermon written, but not addressed to Josephw. I really was going to stay out of this round, though. Maybe I'll skip the next one instead.
From your sermon:

Stop marching in front of abortion clinics and start helping overwhelmed mothers.

Dynamite.

EDIT: no pun intended re: abortion clinics.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
30 Jun 07

Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
From your sermon:

[b]Stop marching in front of abortion clinics and start helping overwhelmed mothers.

Dynamite.

EDIT: no pun intended re: abortion clinics.[/b]
🙂 Thanks!!