1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 08:38
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I read Aleph, which started out with Cantor; maybe I should look at it again.

I'm glad you laughed; I had this OMG moment after I got started back into working with rabbinical hermeneutics (midrash really is quite proto-postmodern), and I thought: "Oh, Bosse would love this!"

Be well, old friend.
    Mind-boggling is the only word for it. Cantor shows that some infinities are bigger than others. And much more. Not only that, but he claimed the transfinite numbers (omega, aleph) were revealed to him by God. The way he discovered his proofs reminds me of gematria. Well, at the very least I have a better idea of the principles underlying the Library of Babel.

Right now I want to dust off my copy of Yates' The Art of Memory.

Derrida was the foremost expondent of poststructuralist midrash. Most of his stuff acts on me like a sedative, but there are moments. His work on aporia is quite haunting, especially the one about the monstrosity of forgiveness, where he comes out as a rabbi.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 11:401 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Well, I am reading about Georg Cantor at the moment.
    Which book? Is it good? (apologies for the intrusion)
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 11:42
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Robert & Ellen Kaplan, The Art of the Infinite. For me it's great, really helps to understand the nuts and bolts of modern mathematics. Might be too simple for you. Cantor features in the final chapter, 'The Abyss'.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 23:45
    No apologies necessary! You are no intrusion! (I was about to ask BdN the same thing.)

Hope you are well, my old friend! I hear you are in Britain?
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 23:46
    Robert & Ellen Kaplan, The Art of the Infinite. For me it's great, really helps to understand the nuts and bolts of modern mathematics. Might be too simple for you. Cantor features in the final chapter, 'The Abyss'.
    I'll look for that (though perhaps I'll re-read Aleph first).
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 23:52
    Mind-boggling is the only word for it. Cantor shows that some infinities are bigger than others. And much more. Not only that, but he claimed the transfinite numbers (omega, aleph) were revealed to him by God. The way he discovered his proofs reminds me of gematria. Well, at the very least I have a better idea of the principles underlying the Library o ...[text shortened]... unting, especially the one about the monstrosity of forgiveness, where he comes out as a rabbi.
    Derrida was the foremost expondent of poststructuralist midrash. Most of his stuff acts on me like a sedative, but there are moments.

I agree. I think I ordered Levinas’ book on his Talmudic presentations. Let me double-check. Marc Alain-Ouaknin (who is really my Talmudic guide; also a kabbalist) draw on Derrida a bit (and Levinas a lot) in his book The Burnt Book: Reading the Talmud. He’s very much into an existentialist and postmodern view of Talmud (and he’s a rabbi, Orthodox I think). If one is willing to jump in at the "deep end" (and you certainly are able to), I think his is the best book on reading Talmud--and the whole Talmudic approach.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 08:30
    [b]Derrida was the foremost expondent of poststructuralist midrash. Most of his stuff acts on me like a sedative, but there are moments.

I agree. I think I ordered Levinas’ book on his Talmudic presentations. Let me double-check. Marc Alain-Ouaknin (who is really my Talmudic guide; also a kabbalist) draw on Derrida a bit (and Levinas a lot) in h ...[text shortened]... are able to), I think his is the best book on reading Talmud--and the whole Talmudic approach.[/b]
    That sounds good, although 'Talmudic presentations' makes me think of something done with PowerPoint.

Levinas? You might be interested in Graham Harman, then. An American philosopher who has come up with something he calls object-oriented philosophy: departing from Heidegger, taking in Whitehead, Levinas & others, but rather interesting in his own right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Harman
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 09:59
    No apologies necessary! You are no intrusion! (I was about to ask BdN the same thing.)

Hope you are well, my old friend! I hear you are in Britain?
    Very well! How about you?

London has been my home for two years or so now... Are you planning a visit? 🙂
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 18:06
    Very well! How about you?

London has been my home for two years or so now... Are you planning a visit? 🙂
    Doin' okay. No visit: I'm a hermit homebody. 😉 But have a pint for me! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree