1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Nice of you to actually read the Uddhav Geeta, rather call it " Boring " and " Crap ".
    For your information, the path does not require that you literally give up everything and become a monk. Who is going to feed the monks if there is nobody to till the fields, you are right about that. What is meant by Vairagya is non-attachment to worldly pleasures. Yo rect experience that you are longing for ! I only hope that the day should not be far-off !
    As for the British rule, it was rule by contempt for sure but things were not a whole lot better a thousand years before that with the immutable force of the caste system. You claim the caste system is gone from India but I can say for a fact it is not in fact gone, but only somewhat subdued. My son in law is from Tamil Nadu and my co-workers are Gujarati north of Tamil Nadu. They all tell tales of places where there is still a caste system, even in Mumbai.

It still seems to me that the guru's have lifted themselves up by their bootstraps for sure but the run of the mill population will never be able to do the same by the limitations of their human genetics.

Humans are limited to an IQ of 100 on average. Even though the actual IQ numbers have been going up around the world is not an indication that actual human intelligence is on the rise, simply we are getting better at IQ tests.

The fact of the matter is no matter how much pithy sayings you tell people, no matter how helpful they are, the majority will take them in and spit them out just as quickly and go back to screwing their neighbors just as before. Humans are just not intelligent enough ON AVERAGE for spiritual messages to take effect on a deep level.

Maybe in another hundred thousand years but not in this or any other century we know about. You may have a village or two living a great spiritual life but the vast majority will have none of it, no matter what country you live in.

For instance, around my neck of the woods, we have Amish, Mennonites, and Pikers (the most conservative of the whole lot) and they live for the most part a very spiritual lifestyle, they put their money where their mouth is spiritually speaking, not that I think for an instant a real god is involved, it is enough for them to THINK its real so for them its real and that is how they live their lives. Even in such an idyllic seeming community where you are really taken care of if you buy into their way of life, there are still bad people and no amount of godly behavior will change that. Plus their population as a whole is slowly dying down so a lot of the younger ones are saying to hell with being Amish, I want a frigging Xbox🙂 They get the chance to live in the outlying community for one year at the age of 18 and then decide if they want to continue with the Amish way of life and the number who succumb to life outside the community is happening faster than new Amish gets born.

One thing I think about the Amish and Mennonites, if the world population crashes due to changing climate and loss of technology, the Amish can go on just as before with not much change, they may survive all of us.

Not that I think that is an ideal way of life, I think it is living with serious blinders but that is how they choose to live and they think they are spiritual.

However, you don't notice many people willingly converting to being Amish either.

The same is probably true for all religions around the world, great for those who buy the story but not so great if they leave it, apostasy in Islam can lead to the apostate getting beheaded and in Scientology, a non-religion if you ask me, you ask for trouble if you leave, people have been known to have been killed for it and ruined financially.

What happens to a Hindu who decides to become say, a muslim? How does the Hindu community react to that person? A true answer please.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 10:03
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually what I said was that after reading them he might "pass for a decent human being"
    which is different from what you said.

I was of course being flippant although if he did take to heart the content of the books I
    suggested he would be a lot nicer than he is currently.

I would rather hope that you are not about to compare me with someo ...[text shortened]... list off a set of your holy books as the most important things I should
    read... Interesting.
    Why do you keep repeating this lie that Dasa called genocide against people
    who disagree with him? He has denied it and any one with common sense,
    like myself, understoood he was referring to the terrorist that take the religion
    of Islam extremely seriously.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 10:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Why do you keep repeating this lie that Dasa called genocide against people
    who disagree with him? He has denied it and any one with common sense,
    like myself, understoood he was referring to the terrorist that take the religion
    of Islam extremely seriously.
    Dasa called for genocide against all Muslim men. I think you continue to claim otherwise in order to draw attention to yourself.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 10:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Dasa called for genocide against all Muslim men. I think you continue to claim otherwise in order to draw attention to yourself.
    No he did not. You are the one who started that lie and you refuse to admit it.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 10:32
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    No he did not. You are the one who started that lie and you refuse to admit it.
    I sent a copy of what he wrote to over 60 people. Many of them have confirmed everything I've said. You have read it too. What a peculiar case of seeking attention this is, on your part. Distasteful. Unfunny. And rather desperate, to my way of thinking.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 11:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Even though the actual IQ numbers have been going up around the world is not an indication that actual human intelligence is on the rise, simply we are getting better at IQ tests.
    Actually average IQ is going up due to better nutrition and better eduction - both of which I believe do increase actual intelligence.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 11:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually average IQ is going up due to better nutrition and better eduction - both of which I believe do increase actual intelligence.
    On the other hand there are indications that average brain size may actually be slowly shrinking
    due to our less mentally taxing environments (we don't have to fight for our daily survival any more).
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 12:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    On the other hand there are indications that average brain size may actually be slowly shrinking
    due to our less mentally taxing environments (we don't have to fight for our daily survival any more).
    I think it is mentally more taxing on brains now than 10 thousand years ago, for instance, if you drive long distances like I do, you have to concentrate for hours at a time, you fall asleep for 10 seconds and you can end up in the middle of a tree. That is one form of survival.

Getting education has to be more taxing mentally than hunting down a mastodon or wildebeest. Probably as stressful for the students who are being pressured to succeed by doting parents.

If brains size is shrinking, it might be because we are getting more efficient brains. For instance, look at Alex the parrot, his brain was the size of a walnut but had near human intelligence. I wouldn't expect him to be writing a sonnet or anything but it does show brains don't absolutely have to be 1500 cc to be intelligent.

There are people who have had half their brains removed and although they usually have difficulty walking and such, their IQ doesn't change much. Full hemispherectomy operations are very rare but it seems we basically have two brains side by side.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 12:14
    I think it is mentally more taxing on brains now than 10 thousand years ago, for instance, if you drive long distances like I do, you have to concentrate for hours at a time, you fall asleep for 10 seconds and you can end up in the middle of a tree. That is one form of survival.

Getting education has to be more taxing mentally than hunting down a mastodo ...[text shortened]... ispherectomy operations are very rare but it seems we basically have two brains side by side.
    And we have a mind, too. HalleluYah !!!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 13:58
    hmmm, i think googlefudge could do well to start with, My book of Bible stories and take it from there.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 14:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    hmmm, i think googlefudge could do well to start with, My book of Bible stories and take it from there.
    Ah, you mean there is something new, some new stories that are not 2000 years old now? The plots wear a bit thin after the first 500 years you know.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 14:04
    Ah, you mean there is something new, some new stories that are not 2000 years old now? The plots wear a bit thin after the first 500 years you know.
    no, its has lots of pictures and illustrations that might help.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 14:08
    no, its has lots of pictures and illustrations that might help.
    But the same old worn out stories they can't even make movies of anymore because the plots are too old? Those pictures?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 14:13
    But the same old worn out stories they can't even make movies of anymore because the plots are too old? Those pictures?
    My book of Bible stories is a publication designed for children, published by the Watchtower and Bible
    tract society. Here, look at all the pretty pictures that might help googlefudge to develop spirituality.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/my/article_01.htm
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 14:14
    Last time I tried to read a bible I threw it at the wall in disgust...

You really don't want me to read the bible because all it does is give me more examples of
    how vile it is that I can use against you.

Telling me to read the bible is about the most stupid advice someone who wants me to
    change my view of Christianity can give.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree