Bird flu, evolution and creationism ...

Bird flu, evolution and creationism ...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
15 Mar 06

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
15 Mar 06

Just wondering what the creationists think about this one.
If bird flu mutates into a virus capable of being transmitted from human to human then that would in effect prove one of the mechanisms of evolution- that is, mutation of a genome.
So, would the creationist position be that such a bird flu mutation would be impossible, or would it be a divine manipulation?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Mar 06

Insert crazy ranting including pseudoscience and an attempt to show that microevolution is possible but macroevolution is completely ludicrous.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Insert crazy ranting including pseudoscience and an attempt to show that microevolution is possible but macroevolution is completely ludicrous.
Insert slapping head with hand ... of course, the old microevolution in the shoe trick. Missed the macro by that much ...

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by amannion
If bird flu mutates into a virus capable of being transmitted from human to human then that would in effect prove one of the mechanisms of evolution- that is, mutation of a genome.
So, would the creationist position be that such a bird flu mutation would be impossible, or would it be a divine manipulation?
A priori, the creationist is not necessarily committed to a denial of evolutionary theory. Such a mutation could still be perfectly compatible with a creationist account.

If they were to say it was 'divine manipulation', it wouldn't exactly paint their creator in such a favorable light -- His going out of His way to cause people to suffer and all.

Of course, if you're talking about the young earthers, or those who vehemently deny evolutionary theory, then who knows what they will say. They come up with all kinds of gibberish.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
A priori, the creationist is not necessarily committed to a denial of evolutionary theory. Such a mutation could still be perfectly compatible with a creationist account.

If they were to say it was 'divine manipulation', it wouldn't exactly paint their creator in such a favorable light -- His going out of His way to cause people to suffer and ...[text shortened]... ionary theory, then who knows what they will say. They come up with all kinds of gibberish.
And yet so much creationist literature portrays it as antithetical to evolution.

I'm keen to see the type of gibberish they use for this topic ...

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Mar 06

And yet so much creationist literature portrays it as antithetical to evolution.

Thread 39719

Cape Town

Moves
15 Mar 06

Just an interesting question, if virus' evolve as we all know they do, and if virus' are not considered to be alive, then it is not only life that evolves. This clearly violates the popular creationist, no evolution before life statement.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Mar 06

Strawman and a fallacy of definition; you present microevolutional evidence and suggest it being proof of macroevolution. The virus mutated into a virus, which will mutate into another virus. There is no evidence of the genetic barrier being broken and it mutating into an essentially living (and non-viral) organism such as a bacterium.

Btw, a virus requires an already advanced DNA/RNA duplication system to be able to reproduce.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Just an interesting question, if virus' evolve as we all know they do, and if virus' are not considered to be alive, then it is not only life that evolves. This clearly violates the popular creationist, no evolution before life statement.
What? Since when do creationists deny mutations?

See my last sentence above...

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Mar 06

Gibberish? Bigot. 😛🙁

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Macroevolution isn’t completely ludicrous; it merely lacks observable proof.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Macroevolution isn’t completely ludicrous; it merely lacks observable proof.
"Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."

Your names not D. Thomas, by any chance, Halitosis?

D

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
"Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."

Your names not D. Thomas, by any chance, Halitosis?

D
Ah... but this is science, not theology.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Ah... but this is science, not theology.
Different standards of proof?