Bible truth #4.....EarthQuakes....

Bible truth #4.....EarthQuakes....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
14 Mar 10
1 edit

Good article about the earth quakes. I actually read it.
Kinda debunks the idea that earth quakes are increasing just as was stated. Appears we are just getting better at measuring and detecting them. God hates grunge?? LOL

Manny

Cape Town

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I stated it before, you were party to the same information that i was, its not my site, i did not produce it, nor upload the information, so why are you trying to assert that it has any bearing to me personally, i do not know. If you find it dubious, contradictory, unsubstantiated, take it up with the site owner, not me.
You apparently presented it as the only evidence available to you regarding earth quakes. (As implied by your claim that we are both party to the same information).
You also made the claim that I was in for a severe thrashing, apparently because you held an opinion that differed from mine (mine being that earthquake frequency is not known to be increasing).
So you hold an opinion so strongly as to be able to thrash me in a debate, apparently based solely on this website, yet you now wish to totally distance yourself from said website and leave me to take it up and questions of references for unsubstantiated claims with the websites owner?
You haven't got a hope of thrashing me in this debate.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by Rajk999
So Christ might return when the number of detection stations reach 12,000 .... .😀
No Raj when they reach 144K then and only then 🙂

Manny

Cape Town

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by menace71
The Context of this chapter is the Return of the "Son of Man" to the earth in the last days. Which we may very well be in. He also says to not be frightened. My own words after reading the chapter.
I notice that the verses you quote say nothing about the phenomena increasing or decreasing. It simply says they will be there. Rather odd considering that all those signs have been more or less prevalent throughout mans history and some of them far longer.
If however the implication is that they will increase, then why do you suggest that we may be in those days when it is quite clear from this thread that no increase has been observed?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
14 Mar 10

Q: How many earthquakes worldwide occur each day? Each year?

A:

Magnitude Average Annually
8 and higher 1
7 - 7.9 17
6 - 6.9 134
5 - 5.9 1319
4 - 4.9 13,000 (estimated)
3 - 3.9 130,000 (estimated)
2 - 2.9 1,300,000 (estimated)

From the USGS site interesting the stronger the less frequent just as stated in the other article.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
I notice that the verses you quote say nothing about the phenomena increasing or decreasing. It simply says they will be there. Rather odd considering that all those signs have been more or less prevalent throughout mans history and some of them far longer.
If however the implication is that they will increase, then why do you suggest that we may be in those days when it is quite clear from this thread that no increase has been observed?
Agreed 🙂

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
14 Mar 10

Q: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing? Does this mean a big one is going to hit? OR We haven't had any earthquakes in a long time; does this mean that the pressure is building up?

A: Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

There are several reasons for the perception that the number of earthquakes, in general, and particularly destructive earthquakes is increasing.

1) A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by telex, computer and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years, and we are able to locate earthquakes more rapidly.

The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.

2) The population at risk is increasing. While the number of large earthquakes is fairly constant, population density in earthquake-prone areas is constantly increasing. In some countries, the new construction that comes with population growth has better earthquake resistance; but in many it does not. So we are now seeing increasing casualties from the same sized earthquakes.

3) Better global communication. Just a few decades ago, if several hundred people were killed by an earthquake in Indonesia or eastern China, for example, the media in the rest of the world would not know about it until several days, to weeks, later, long after such an event would be deemed “newsworthy”. So by the time this information was available, it would probably be relegated to the back pages of the newspaper, if at all. And the public Internet didn't even exist. We are now getting this information almost immediately.

4) Earthquake clustering and human psychology. While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related. But when such clusters occur, especially when they are widely reported in the media, they are noticed. However, during the equally anomalous periods during which no destructive earthquakes occur, no one deems this as remarkable.

A temporal increase in earthquake activity does not mean that a large earthquake is about to happen. Similarly, quiescence, or the lack of seismicity, does not mean a large earthquake is going to happen. A temporary increase or decrease in the seismicity rate is usually just part of the natural variation in the seismicity. There is no way for us to know whether or not this time it will lead to a larger earthquake. Swarms of small events, especially in geothermal areas, are common, and moderate-large magnitude earthquakes will typically have an aftershock sequence that follows. All that is normal and expected earthquake activity.

See NEIC's Earthquake Statistics webpage for the tables of earthquake counts by magnitude and year.

I trust this stuff over the Watchtower any day.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by galveston75
The reason I'm asking such an obvious question is if one were to go back to Matt 24:6 , Jesus says you would "hear" of these things. Obviously before modern times with the communications we now have, ones would not have heard of these things such as earthquakes worldwide as we do now. So now that the world does hear these things like never before, this w ...[text shortened]... uld make this scripture something all should be concerned about.
Take it as you want......
I'll repost this again. I guess no one read it.....

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
14 Mar 10
1 edit

Jesus said that an increase of Earthquakes would be one sign of the last days of this system at Matt 24:7.

Your words or the Watchtowers words to be more precise. The title is about earth quakes so we present you with facts and this is what we get? There is data to back up the facts presented but you believe your Watchtower. If you read closer in Matthew 24 Jesus does not mention anything about an increase in earth quakes Just the hearing of earth quakes. Your Watchtower is very un-factual and scientific to say the least.

Read and learn http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?faqID=110

Manny

rc

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
You apparently presented it as the only evidence available to you regarding earth quakes. (As implied by your claim that we are both party to the same information).
You also made the claim that I was in for a severe thrashing, apparently because you held an opinion that differed from mine (mine being that earthquake frequency is not known to be increasin ...[text shortened]... ntiated claims with the websites owner?
You haven't got a hope of thrashing me in this debate.
No i did not present it as the only and definitive article, that is merely your opinion and is best disregarded as the product of an unstable and delusional mind. How this correlates to being party to the same information makes absolutely no sense to me. The reference to a 'severe thrashing', was made in jest, how you failed to detect this while you show a propensity for being able to read hearts and detect motives makes me sceptical about your other magical powers as well. Yes you must take it up with the websites owner for i am not responsible for external content, perhaps every time i post a link i should include a disclaimer.