Bible quiz

Bible quiz

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
There is no 'proff' that God exists outside the imaginations of Christians. I don't need 'proff' to say that he doesn't exist as I have the absence of 'proff' that he does.
I don't need 'proff' to say that he doesn't exist as I have the absence of 'proff' that he does.

This must have made sense in your head while you were typing it; at least the spelling is correct. I think you missed the double negative, making your post self contradictory and nonsensical.

S

Moves
14 Nov 05

Originally posted by Halitose
The supreme king-of-non-logic strikes again. Your stance is a universal-negative, which is illogical. Please, grow up.
Actually Hal, it's a perfectly reasonable stance. The absence of proof for god not existing is the illogical stance. If a claim is made for the existence of something, then proof should be provided. Its existence cannot be considered true due to an absence of proof against it. If it were, then my claim that a xuxuxlux existed would have no refutation, despite a lack of proof.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I think he repeated the standard atheist stance, a la rwingett. "The burden of proof rests on the one making a positive claim about the existence of God". Something like that.
That is the agnostic stance (I don't know). Rwingett was doing some huge semantic and logical gymnastics to maintain a positive belief in the absence of God while retaining its logical consistancy.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Actually Hal, it's a perfectly reasonable stance. The absence of proof for god not existing is the illogical stance. If a claim is made for the existence of something, then proof should be provided. Its existence cannot be considered true due to an absence of proof against it. If it were, then my claim that a xuxuxlux existed would have no refutation, despite a lack of proof.
The reasonableness aside, I was just pointing out its logical implications.

Yes, you can make your xuxuxlux claim and with the absence of proof, I would be forced to take an agnostic stance on it. To be axuxuxluxic is illogical.

S

Moves
14 Nov 05

The reasonableness aside, I was just pointing out its logical implications.

Yes, you can make your xuxuxlux claim and with the absence of proof, I would be forced to take an agnostic stance on it. To be axuxuxluxic is illogical.
It's not agnostic at all, this is the basis of wek atheism. In the absence of any proof, a stance of denial is adopted. The logical implications are correct.

S

Moves
14 Nov 05

That is the agnostic stance (I don't know). Rwingett was doing some huge semantic and logical gymnastics to maintain a positive belief in the absence of God while retaining its logical consistancy.
You are the one playing semantics here. There is no positive belief at all, merely an absence of belief. Denial founded on a lack of proof is not a positive belief.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05
1 edit

You are the one playing semantics here. There is no positive belief at all, merely an absence of belief. Denial founded on a lack of proof is not a positive belief.
Fair enough. Let me spell out the beliefs as I understand them:

Strong-atheism: The belief that there is no God or gods.
Weak-atheism: The denial founded on the lack of proof for a God or gods.
Strong-agnosticism: The belief that there has neither been nor will be any proof that God exists or not.
Weak-agnosticism: The belief that in the light of current evidence it can neither be confirmed or denied that a God or gods exist.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05

It's not agnostic at all, this is the basis of wek atheism. In the absence of any proof, a stance of denial is adopted. The logical implications are correct.
Taking my definitions cited above, a truly neutral person would take the stance of weak agnosticism IMO.

S

Moves
14 Nov 05

Taking my definitions cited above, a truly neutral person would take the stance of weak agnosticism IMO.
I disagree, a neutral person might adopt either of the weak stances. But the stance (as cited in your definitions) of weak agnosticism, whilst perhaps being neutral, is not in my opinion, logical.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05

I disagree, a neutral person might adopt either of the weak stances. But the stance (as cited in your definitions) of weak agnosticism, whilst perhaps being neutral, is not in my opinion, logical.
Fair enough. I'll agree to disagree..

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
14 Nov 05

I managed to mess up the phrasing of my post but the point stands. The burden of proof rests in proving that God exists. RBHILL cannot ask me to prove that God does not exist if he has not presented any evidence that God exists.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Nov 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
The burden of proof rests in proving that God exists.
The same applies to all imaginary beings.

Some things are just inconceivable.

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
14 Nov 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The same applies to all imaginary beings.

Some things are just inconceivable.
Thank God the tooth fairy, santa and the easter bunny are real.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Nov 05

Originally posted by Chakan
Thank God the tooth fairy, santa and the easter bunny are real.
I can't prove they're not.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Nov 05
1 edit

But the stance...of weak agnosticism, whilst perhaps being neutral, is not in my opinion, logical.

Naïve perhaps, but certainly not illogical...in the strictest sense of the word.