"Avon" religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old pueblo

Moves
07 Jun 13

(note -- Avon saleswomen used to go door to door trying to sell their makeup and perfume, etc.)

I have lived in this apartment two or three weeks. Twice now, people have come to the door trying to sell me their brand of religion. The second time, I told the woman "I don't discuss religion with people at my door." She looked stunned and said "You don't?"

I know there are JWs and Mormons here who believe that (a) they must share their religion and (b) apparently the only way to do that is to knock on people's doors.

Personally, I don't want anyone knocking on my door or telephoning me to sell me anything.

What about you? What do you say to them?

rc

Moves
07 Jun 13
4 edits

Originally posted by Sahuaro
(note -- Avon saleswomen used to go door to door trying to sell their makeup and perfume, etc.)

I have lived in this apartment two or three weeks. Twice now, people have come to the door trying to sell me their brand of religion. The second time, I told the woman "I don't discuss religion with people at my door." She looked stunned and said "You don't? door or telephoning me to sell me anything.

no its not the only way and if you tell a Jehovahs witness that you dont want them to call, they should take a note of it and refrain from calling, after all, we want to spend our time talking to people who are interested and there are a lot who are, not wasting our time with those who are not.

I can tell you the most common thing that is said to me,

I have my own religion
I am not interested,

To which I usually say, have a nice day.

Jehovahs witnesses dont sell anything. all our literature, including Bibles is available without charge.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 13

Is Nothing Sacred Anymore

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Sahuaro

I have lived in this apartment two or three weeks. Twice now, people have come to the door trying to sell me their brand of religion. The second time, I told the woman "I don't discuss religion with people at my door." She looked stunned and said "You don't? door or telephoning me to sell me anything.

I invite them in, make them feel at home as best I can, and share what I
believe as they share with me. After I answer all their questions and give
them a few of my own, they will bascially lie to me after that, saying they
will return and do not.
Kelly

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
09 Jun 13

Originally posted by KellyJay
will return and do not.
Kelly
So what is your point?

Are you saying that they are scam artists or something?
False prophets? Misguided people?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
So what is your point?

Are you saying that they are scam artists or something?
False prophets? Misguided people?
My point was to answer what I say and do when they come to my door.
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 13

Kelly
I believe johnnylongwoody was referring to the part where you say they will bascially lie to me after that, saying they will return and do not.

He wants to know what was your point in adding this claim as to what they do at the end of your encounter. It appears that their actions suggest they are some kind of scam artists to johnnylongwoody, do you agree or perhaps you have a different conclusion.

The Instructor

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
09 Jun 13

will return and do not.
Kelly
that's good of you to invite them in
most people are just jerks about it
like they were criminals, or some such nonsense

nothing wrong with having a nice chat with a bit of tea or lemonade
JW's are pretty peaceful/nonviolent, from what i've seen

rc

Moves
09 Jun 13

Originally posted by empovsun
that's good of you to invite them in
most people are just jerks about it
like they were criminals, or some such nonsense

nothing wrong with having a nice chat with a bit of tea or lemonade
JW's are pretty peaceful/nonviolent, from what i've seen
actually most people are apathetic towards religion in general, or politely disinterested, some people are jerks, but its more a reflection of them. I think in almost twenty years going from house to house, I can count on one hand the number of people who were jerks. We take a note of people who are aggressive and simply dont go there, life is too short for fussin and fightin.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
actually most people are apathetic towards religion in general, or politely disinterested, some people are jerks, but its more a reflection of them. I think in almost twenty years going from house to house, I can count on one hand the number of people who were jerks. We take a note of people who are aggressive and simply dont go there, life is too short for fussin and fightin.
So in that case do they just lie and say they will return and then don't?

The Instructor

PDI

Moves
09 Jun 13
2 edits

Years ago two men came to my door. I could tell from the literature they handed me that they were Christian fundamentalists. I kept the conversation brief and light. Then I said, "Hey give me a minute." I wrote down the title of a book on a piece of paper, and handed it to the man who had done most of the talking. The title was 'Steve Allen on the Bible, Religion, and Morality.'

Allen's book is not exactly anti-Christian, or anti-faith, so it need not antagonize the believer right off the bat. But it does suggest strongly that the Bible we have available to us in modern times is not free of errors and does not match very well with conventional standards of fairness, goodness and justice.

The two fellows never came back. I wonder if they ever sought out the Allen book. I doubt it, actually. But I tried.

rc

Moves
10 Jun 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
So in that case do they just lie and say they will return and then don't?

The Instructor
what are you talking about, you are not making sense, have you been drinking?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Jun 13

no its not the only way and if you tell a Jehovahs witness that you dont want them to call, they should take a note of it and refrain from calling, after all, we want to spend our time talking to people who are interested and there are a lot who are, not wasting our time with those who are not.

I can tell you the most common thing that is said to ...[text shortened]... witnesses dont sell anything. all our literature, including Bibles is available without charge.
You godda be kidding. You go door to door hawking your religion. Well, that puts you down a few notches. Not much I hate more than proselytizers. Notice the word, Prose, stories, Ly, lying, tizers, baptizers🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 13

Kelly
What plainly spoken words.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 13
1 edit

"life is too short for fussin and fightin": so true, robbie, yet seems to be part and parcel of life in any realm.