Authority

Authority

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
16 Apr 10

I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who beleive it! George Carlin

Maryland

Moves
16 Apr 10

In fact, if I may say so, most of us have more authority than the pope, because we have not made the importance of protecting children less than the importance of protecting pedophile priests.

P

Moves
16 Apr 10

Originally posted by 667joe
I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who beleive it! George Carlin
Well, the only thing that gives him authority is that millions actually listen to him.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Apr 10

In fact, if I may say so, most of us have more authority than the pope, because we have not made the importance of protecting children less than the importance of protecting pedophile priests.
The Pope has gone to great lengths to protect children. He extended the statute of limitations so that victims could report abuse dating back decades; he made it compulsory for victims to report such abuse; and he has implemented a zero-tolerance policy. But you're probably not interested in anything resembling truth. Concepts like 'evidence' tend to be alien to you, as I have noted from prior discussions.

Maryland

Moves
17 Apr 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
The Pope has gone to great lengths to protect children. He extended the statute of limitations so that victims could report abuse dating back decades; he made it compulsory for victims to report such abuse; and he has implemented a zero-tolerance policy. But you're probably not interested in anything resembling truth. Concepts like 'evidence' tend to be alien to you, as I have noted from prior discussions.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you saying the pope never moved pedophile priests from one church to another even switching countries to avoid prosecution? Are you saying crimes were not covered up for decades? GIVE ME A BREAK! I would like to know how the victims feel about your deluded position.

P

Moves
17 Apr 10

Since when did the pope have authority to extend the legal statute of limitations? Or did he extend the statute of limitations from when the church will listen to abuse reports? Please color me unimpressed.

When he eliminates any and all statute of limitations altogether then I'll give him some credit for that.

Especially on the legal side where bishops are fighting to prevent authorities from extending the statute of limitations that might actually have legal consequences for their precious priests.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/11/connecticut.abuse.bill/index.html?hpt=T1

So does the pope not have a problem with truly getting rid of the statute of limitations? Why not? If the church truly wants the monsters in their midst to get the justice they deserve.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Apr 10

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you saying the pope never moved pedophile priests from one church to another even switching countries to avoid prosecution? Are you saying crimes were not covered up for decades? GIVE ME A BREAK! I would like to know how the victims feel about your deluded position.
re you saying the pope never moved pedophile priests from one church to another even switching countries to avoid prosecution?

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Apr 10

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
Since when did the pope have authority to extend the legal statute of limitations? Or did he extend the statute of limitations from when the church will listen to abuse reports? Please color me unimpressed.

When he eliminates any and all statute of limitations altogether then I'll give him some credit for that.

Especially on the legal side where b ...[text shortened]... Why not? If the church truly wants the monsters in their midst to get the justice they deserve.

The Pope extended the statute of limitations for canon law to ten years after the victim reaches the age of 18.

There are good reasons to retain a statute of limitations (these reasons are so good, in fact, that all countries have them.) For example, after a substantial period of time has elapsed, it simply becomes impossible to verify accusations of abuse. I believe, however, there are provisions for when allegations can be verified or when the abuser confesses.

Especially on the legal side where bishops are fighting to prevent authorities from extending the statute of limitations that might actually have legal consequences for their precious priests.

The bishops' objections are very compelling. Are you not concerned about frivolous abuse claims?

Maryland

Moves
17 Apr 10

[b]Since when did the pope have authority to extend the legal statute of limitations? Or did he extend the statute of limitations from when the church will listen to abuse reports? Please color me unimpressed.

The Pope extended the statute of limitations for canon law to ten years after the victim reaches the age of 18.

When he eliminates any ...[text shortened]... e bishops' objections are very compelling. Are you not concerned about frivolous abuse claims?
The church knew about crimes against children and covered them up instead of reporting them to local authorities. Any other organization with such a record would have been shut down.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Apr 10

The church knew about crimes against children and covered them up instead of reporting them to local authorities. Any other organization with such a record would have been shut down.
I do not deny that cover-ups occurred; I deny that the Pope was responsible for them or engaged in any. Since you have accused him of ferrying abusers across countries, I believe the burden of proof is on you.

w

Moves
17 Apr 10

Well, the only thing that gives him authority is that millions actually listen to him.
Just like our policial leaders.

P

Moves
17 Apr 10
1 edit

When he eliminates any e bishops' objections are very compelling. Are you not concerned about frivolous abuse claims?

Color me much more unimpressed than I was before. What pathetically small amount was it before?

It's telling that you see this extension to ten years as being some great move. It's a minor token act and in my view LESS than the least he could do.

There are good reasons to retain a statute of limitations

In some cases, yes. If after a substantial period of time it's impossible to verify the accusations then they never get convicted - simple as that.

The bishops' objections are very compelling. Are you not concerned about frivolous abuse claims?

I'm MUCH more afraid of valid claims getting ignore for too long than frivolous claims. Frankly, I haven't seen much evidence of there being a big problem of frivolous claims.

P

Moves
17 Apr 10

Originally posted by whodey
Just like our policial leaders.
Except law gives political leaders power once they are elected.

Of course, your actual point relevant to this thread eludes me.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Apr 10

Color me much more unimpressed than I was before. What pathetically small amount was it before?

It's telling that you see this extension to ten years as being some great move. It's a minor token act and in my view LESS than the lea ...[text shortened]... s. Frankly, I haven't seen much evidence of there being a big problem of frivolous claims.
As I said, there are provisions for when substantial proof is available.

P

Moves
17 Apr 10

As I said, there are provisions for when substantial proof is available.
So you have no problem with just getting rid of the statute of limitations for these cases?

Do you think there is a problem with frivolous claims?