08 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 14:471 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 14:57
    i think its a little misleading, for if there was true honesty, given the scandalously improbable chance of life having arisen from non living matter, it should read, 'probably there is a god - so enjoy you're life'.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 15:201 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 19:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    right ok, probably the best lager in the world. like the journalist in the guardian stated, i do not think that it will make much difference, the UK is such an atheistic country that it will probably go unnoticed, infact i would hedge my bets that theists take more note of it than non theists except those like rwingwett, who will probably sell his car and get a weekly bus pass just to enjoy the experience of riding on one of the buses, i can see him now, beaming from ear to ear with a big grin that would put any bad ol chesshire putty cat to shame. oh well if it brings them happiness.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 23:191 edit
    Well it made me smile. There is so much truth that sits between the two perpsectives, it's brilliant! I used to be an athiest and I'd have felt very pleased if I'd thought that one up.

When will christians ever realise that the godless will never be terrorised, bullied or coersed into salvation. And why would the godless give tuppenny wotsit whether a god they neither know about nor care about is coming back to find the faith cupboard bare anyway. Typical rubbish marketing - a total waste of money.

The athiest slogan is humourous, has a relevant point for most readers, an attractive call to action "enjoy" and a comforting message of don't worry. Nice.

However it also smacks a little of "buy now - pay later". We're already experiencing what that feels like aren't we. If someone is interested in God then NOW is the time to follow it up.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 23:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well it made me smile. There is so much truth that sits between the two perpsectives, it's brilliant! I used to be an athiest and I'd have felt very pleased if I'd thought that one up.

When will christians ever realise that the godless will never be terrorised, bullied or coersed into salvation. And why would the godless give tuppenny wotsit whet ...[text shortened]... ike aren't we. If someone is interested in God then NOW is the time to follow it up.
    It matters because there are far too many christians who try to pass their views into law. If all christians respected the separation of church and state, then nobody would very much care what they do or say. For the most part. Of course there are other aspects that are objectionable, but the looming specter of theocracy is by far the biggest one.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 23:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    right ok, probably the best lager in the world. like the journalist in the guardian stated, i do not think that it will make much difference, the UK is such an atheistic country that it will probably go unnoticed, infact i would hedge my bets that theists take more note of it than non theists except those like rwingwett, who will probably sell his c ...[text shortened]... in that would put any bad ol chesshire putty cat to shame. oh well if it brings them happiness.
    I wish I could sell my car and use mass transit. But I live in Detroit (within three miles), the home of the automobile. They don't believe in mass transit around here anymore. Nor since they sold the trolley cars to Mexico.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 00:02
    correct me if i am wrong, there are other instances and perhaps some court cases ongoing in the States where individuals have objected to certain religious elements in public places, i recall a monument with the ten commandments, and some type of religious regalia on a court building being a matter of contention.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 00:132 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It matters because there are far too many christians who try to pass their views into law. If all christians respected the separation of church and state, then nobody would very much care what they do or say. For the most part. Of course there are other aspects that are objectionable, but the looming specter of theocracy is by far the biggest one.
    I didn't know you were american (or lived there at least). There is a very vocal right-wing christian voice in the US isn't there, far more than the UK. Perhaps you work in law and see differently?

I don't recognise the threat of theocracy you describe. In fact I see the 'christian moral values' in the UK being erroded by secularism on the one hand and 'christian spiritual values' being erroded by other religions on the other.

EDIT: back of a bus isn't law!
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    correct me if i am wrong, there are other instances and perhaps some court cases ongoing in the States where individuals have objected to certain religious elements in public places, i recall a monument with the ten commandments, and some type of religious regalia on a court building being a matter of contention.
    Putting religious monuments in court buildings is an entanglement of church and state. That fits under the creeping theocracy category.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:46
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I didn't know you were american (or lived there at least). There is a very vocal right-wing christian voice in the US isn't there, far more than the UK. Perhaps you work in law and see differently?

I don't recognise the threat of theocracy you describe. In fact I see the 'christian moral values' in the UK being erroded by secularism on the one h ...[text shortened]... values' being erroded by other religions on the other.

EDIT: back of a bus isn't law!
    I am an American, so we have more than our fair share of people trying to chip away at the wall of separation between church and state. We must remain ever vigilant. I can only envy you Europeans for your low levels of religious zealotry. I am not a lawyer, though. I am but a humble artist (in the real sense of the word).
  15. Break-twitching
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:52
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What does British transportation have to do with whether or not there is a God?

In answer to your question, I have no problem with the advertisement. It may backfire and create more Christians. If it doesn't, oh well. Everybody will have a chance to accept or reject God; then the judgement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree