Atheism in popular media

Atheism in popular media

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by snowinscotland
This goes round in circles. where did the creator come from?
where did the creator come from?

This is a meaningless question.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Yeah Shav, there is no room in the Kingdom of Heaven for those who ask difficult questions. You should know that by now.

Besides, if you start with the premise that God has always existed, a lot of these problems you are continually going on about are instantly and easily solved.

So, to sum up...

First, without any demonstrable evidence in suppo ...[text shortened]... self having trouble believing in something without any evidence to support it, refer to rule #1.
And that differs from the beliefs held by atheists ... how?

1. Believe unquestioningly that God never has and never will exist.
2. If you find yourself having trouble believing in something without any evidence to support it, refer to rule #1.

S

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by josephw
I'd like to stay and play awhile, but unfortunately I gotta go.

Is the question, "where did God come from?" a difficult question?

How about, where did the idea of evolution come from?
And I don't mean Darwin.
Evolution is just another form of self-godhood, the basis of all false religions. Yep, I said it, all false religions have one thing in common, the believers of those religions believe themselves to be god.

TD8

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by SourJax
Evolution is just another form of self-godhood, the basis of all false religions. Yep, I said it, all false religions have one thing in common, the believers of those religions believe themselves to be god.
Apparently it'll take more than a clever point on a chess site's forum to bring these god-loving people out of Plato's cave...

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
07 Nov 07

🙄

Surely these piercing insights are being wasted in your chosen career.

s

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
[b]where did the creator come from?

This is a meaningless question.[/b]
JoeW doesn't think so...

'Your defence of the idea that something, such as a God, does not exist is illogical. Everything that exists is evidence for the existence of a creator. The idea that everything that exists came from nothing is an illusion.'

TD8

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
I hate to have the Dude say things more elegantly than me, but effing hell. what a crock of faeces.

Gods, the flying spaghetti monster, faeries... they're all the bloody same. It's been said before, so bare with me whilst I quietly repeat it for you:

WHERE THE F DID GOD COME FROM?
See. That's your whole argument. And it falls apart because of the ...[text shortened]... HING which is highly evolved, has evolved from something else. END OF STORY.

SO PISS OFF!
Well Shav I'm glad you did me well when I told you in our previous disagreement that I did not think you were an idiot!

I'm glad you like my approach and I'll commend you on your blunt and to the point attitude.

Although I am a little upset that this topic digressed into an evolution argument, which already has a forum, rather than atheism in the popular media.

S

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
🙄

Surely these piercing insights are being wasted in your chosen career.
Quick question, completely off-topic. Why are you on this website? You have been a member since April 2007 and never made a move?

Cape Town

Moves
07 Nov 07

Yep, I said it, all false religions have one thing in common, the believers of those religions believe themselves to be god.
Therefore, either Muslims or Christians believe themselves to be god, OR neither is a false religion.
Please enlighten us, are both Islam and Christianity 'True' religions or do followers of one of them believe themselves to be gods?

S

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Therefore, either Muslims or Christians believe themselves to be god, OR neither is a false religion.
Please enlighten us, are both Islam and Christianity 'True' religions or do followers of one of them believe themselves to be gods?
Here is a link to a description of Islam:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_intr.htm

Here is an excerpt: When a child reaches puberty an account of their deeds is opened in Paradise. When the person dies, their eventual destination (Paradise or Hell) depends on the balance of their good deeds (helping others, testifying to the truth of God, leading a virtuous life) and their bad deeds.

Muslims believe that they can be or become "good enough" to get to Heaven, thus a form self-godhood. Any belief that you can become good enough, through your own doing, to dwell with God is a form of self-godhood.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
07 Nov 07
1 edit

Quick question, completely off-topic. Why are you on this website? You have been a member since April 2007 and never made a move?
How is that relevant? Does this look like a chess discussion forum to you?

P

Moves
07 Nov 07

Here is a link to a description of Islam:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_intr.htm

Here is an excerpt: When a child reaches puberty an account of their deeds is opened in Paradise. When the person dies, their eventual destination (Paradise or Hell) depends on the balance of their good deeds (helping others, testifying to the truth of God, leading a ...[text shortened]... u can become good enough, through your own doing, to dwell with God is a form of self-godhood.
So getting to heaven denotes Godhood. And Christians believe...

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
And that differs from the beliefs held by atheists ... how?

1. Believe unquestioningly that God never has and never will exist.
2. If you find yourself having trouble believing in something without any evidence to support it, refer to rule #1.
I can't help feeling this is going to be one of those posts you thought about a bit more before writing it.

Do you require evidence to believe the tooth fairy doesn't exist?

Santa Clause?

To prove something exists, all you need is evidence. You cannot prove something does not exist you can just make the completely reasonable assumption that if there is no evidence for it, it probably does not exist.

There is no evidence for the tooth fairy, it probably does not exist.

There is nor evidence for God...

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
07 Nov 07

Originally posted by TheSkipper
simply follow these two simple rules:

1. Believe unquestioningly that God has and always will exist.
I want you as my personal guru!

😉

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
07 Nov 07
3 edits

Lessons from Sunday School (or How Not to Think for Yourself):

1a) Proclaim that everything that exists needs a creator, and God is the ultimate creator.

1b) If they accept it, then they are sufficiently stupid. Move directly to (4). If they ask about God's creator, move to (2a).

2a) Tell them that God does not have a creator. Try to sound sophisticated when you do it (e.g. "that's illogical/irrational", "that violates the maxims of theological ontology" ).

2b) If they accept this, then they are suitably stupid so that you can move to step (4). If they point out that (2a) contradicts (1a) whenever God exists, then go to (3a).

3a) This person is a pighead. Change the subject and go on the attack. The best diversion is criticism of abiogenesis, but don't call it abiogenesis. Call it evolution or Darwinism. If your claims are suitably ridiculous, the person will become so caught up in correcting you that he will forget about (1a) and (2a). That's when you can proceed to step (3b)

3b) Do not entertain lies from the fallen. Take this opportunity to practice bashing the false religion of evolution and science. The better you get at this the more success you will have with step (3a) in the future. If at any point, the fallen person is persuaded by you, then they are more than sufficiently stupid, and you should go immediately to (4). Otherwise exit the conversation at your convenience. Repeat (1a) after a few days.

4) Alter Call! Good job, soldier!