Anselm's second proof

Anselm's second proof

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
07 Dec 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Define 'exist'.
Is.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by Doward
I agree, Anselm's argument gets the cart before the horse. The reason I posted the second proof is that I believe it should have been his first argument versus "God is that than which nothing greater can be imagined." Consider this: If the argument starts with "That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist" then the Proslogian begins with a logical truth instead of ...[text shortened]... ist" he means "reasoned not to exist" and this may be while you have trouble with the statement.
Do you have a preferred reconstruction of this argument? If so, present it and I'll take a crack at it. What's the first premise?

Moves
08 Dec 14

Are we really discussing his second proof? Just checking.

IIa. Anselm's Second Argument

1. Something can be thought to exist that cannot be thought not to exist.
2. This is greater than that which can be thought not to exist.
3. If 'that than which a greater cannot be thought1 can be thought not to exist, then 'that than which a greater cannot be thought' is not the same as 'that than which a greater cannot be thought', which is absurd.
4. Therefore, 'something than which a greater cannot be thought' exists so truly then, that it cannot be even thought not to exist.

IIIa. Anselm's Supporting Argument

St. Anselm supports this second argument in the second half of the third chapter excerpted above:
1. If some intelligence could think of something better than You, the creature would be above its creator and would judge its creator.
2. Everything else there is, except You alone, can be thought of as not existing.
3. You alone, then, of all things most truly exist and therefore of all things possess existence to the highest degree.

IIb. Reconstruction of Anselm's Second Argument

From the above argument and its supporting argument we can distill the following:
1. God is that than which no greater is or is conceivable (from I.l.)«
2. That than which no greater is or is conceivable cannot be conceived not to exist (see argument III below).
3. Whatever cannot be conceived not to exist necessarily exists.
4. Therefore God necessarily exists.

http://www.romancatholicidentity.com/2010/04/saint-anselm-and-ontological-argument.html

D

St. Peter's

Moves
10 Dec 14

One of the posters already demonstrated that that is false. I to, think God does not exist.

[b]One cannot prove the non-existence of God,

Actually, one can.

or in other words one cannot prove a negative.
You shouldn't just repeat stuff you have heard. Try and think about it for a moment. Of course one can prove a negative.[/b]
it's a logical fallacy, you cannot prove a negative. you argument is essentially reductio ad absurdum. I never said that failure to prove God's non-existence was proof of his existence, but rather it is impossible to prove non-existence... which is true.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
10 Dec 14

Start a new thread and define 'God' as thoroughly as you can. If I can find a single contradiction within your definition then I have proved that 'God' as defined does not exist.
God is perfection.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
10 Dec 14

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
"Actually, one can [prove the non-existence of God]."

only if the definition is specific enough and even so only in certain cases. i doubt you can check outside time and space to see if there is any god there.
You are right ................but it requires the other person to be truly honest.

Very rare when dealing with puffed atheists who worship science and Charles Darwin.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Dec 14

it's a logical fallacy, you cannot prove a negative.
Of course you can prove a negative. Repeating it doesn't make it true. Provide a reference or some logic to back up this claim

you argument is essentially reductio ad absurdum.
Which is a perfectly valid type of argument.

I never said that failure to prove God's non-existence was proof of his existence, but rather it is impossible to prove non-existence... which is true.
No, it is not true.

You are attempting to use this fallacy:
http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/50-argument-by-repetition

Cape Town

Moves
10 Dec 14

God is perfection.
Not good enough.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Dec 14

Originally posted by Dasa
You are right ................but it requires the other person to be truly honest.

Very rare when dealing with puffed atheists who worship science and Charles Darwin.
Are you truly honest?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Dec 14

it's a logical fallacy, you cannot prove a negative.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Negative_proof

A common saying in pseudologic is "You can't prove a negative." That saying is not true. An absence of something can be proved in various ways, e.g., by a reductio ad absurdum or by proving something else that is inconsistent with the presence of that something (a very useful approach known in mathematics as proof by contradiction).

Also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof#Proving_a_negative

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Dec 14

it's a logical fallacy, you cannot prove a negative. you argument is essentially reductio ad absurdum. I never said that failure to prove God's non-existence was proof of his existence, but rather it is impossible to prove non-existence... which is true.
Ugh. Of course you can prove a negative. One of the laws of logic, the Law of Non-Contradiction, is itself a negative (~(P&~P)) and derivable from the empty set of premises using the classic rules of deduction. That means we can also prove that there is at least one provable negative. That means that we can also prove another negative, namely that it's not the case that we cannot prove a negative.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
10 Dec 14
1 edit

Logical fallacy eh? You cannot prove a negative! Well in that case I'm all ears, please go ahead and prove this little negative of yours. Here I'll make it easier for you

I make the claim A = "there *DOES* exist a negative that can be disproved"

I leave it to you to demonstrate ¬A.

Planet Rain

Moves
10 Dec 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
(1) One can imagine a being than which none greater can be conceived.
(2) We know that existence in reality is greater than existence in the mind alone.
(3) If the being we imagine exists only in our mind, then it is not a "being than which none greater can be conceived".
(4) A being than which none greater can be conceived must also exist ...[text shortened]... ing God.[/quote]Is it this argument that you mean?

If so then steps (4) and (5) are horrible.
Truly. Step (4) is like invoking the Completeness Axiom to argue that a set of real numbers has a least upper bound that is real, but doing so for a set that is not even given to be bounded.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
10 Dec 14

Not good enough.
its a valid definition, prove it false

Cape Town

Moves
11 Dec 14
1 edit

its a valid definition, prove it false
Yes, its a valid definition. No, it isn't the definition of the God he believes in.
And I never said I would prove it false (definitions are by definition, neither true nor false). I said I could possibly prove that an entity matching the given definition did not exist.