1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 May '08 01:47
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/11/iraq.humanrights
    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/05/true_monsters.php

A 17 year old Iraqi girl was murdered, in the name of religion, by her father and brothers for bringing "shame" onto their family for the sole crime of having a crush on a western soldier.

The worst part is that the father and brothers were honoured for this atrocity, even by the police.

Another senseless death by senseless people bickering over senseless things.

The sooner religion chokes its last, the better.
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 May '08 02:13
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

A 17 year old Iraqi girl was murdered, in the name of religion, by her father and brothers for bringing "shame" onto their family for the sole crime of having a crush on a western soldier.

The worst part is that the father and ...[text shortened]... ss people bickering over senseless things.

Correction: The sooner IslamoFascism is eradicated, the better.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 May '08 02:39
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Correction: The sooner IslamoFascism is eradicated, the better.
    Christianity has its own fair share of blood on its hands too. Let's not forget that.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 May '08 02:44
    Islam is a scourge.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 May '08 03:321 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Islam is a scourge.
    I agree, but all relgions have stories and stupid laws like this. Admittedly, by most people in most religions they are rarely exercised, but they remain nevertheless. "Christians" still firebomb abortion clincs, and attack pro-choice doctors. There's that Mormon Cult in Texas habitually abusing women in the name of relgion, and dog only knows what else.
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    13 May '08 04:29

The worst part is that the father and ...[text shortened]... ss people bickering over senseless things.

If this particular stench of Islam was eradicated, nothing of value would be lost.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 May '08 04:32
    I agree, but all relgions have stories and stupid laws like this. Admittedly, by most people in most religions they are rarely exercised, but they remain nevertheless. "Christians" still firebomb abortion clincs, and attack pro-choice doctors. There's that Mormon Cult in Texas habitually abusing women in the name of relgion, and dog only knows what else.
    You cite looneys, and every structure in any society has them--that's why we'll never be completely safe; no matter how strong the 2nd amendment is, there's always gonna be some nutjobs out there, we just gotta accept that as inevitable. But I digress.

All religions I can think of have SOME SECTS or CHAPTERS that have shown barbaric behavior sometime over the centuries. That does not mean that Christianity as a whole has blood on its hands. The Roman Catholics in Mideval Iberia? Yes. Crazed Puritan witchhunters in the 1600s? You betcha. But what about the vast majority? Ever heard of a radical band of methodists bombing a synogogue? Or a gang war between Quakers and Menonites?
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 May '08 06:32
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You cite looneys, and every structure in any society has them--that's why we'll never be completely safe; no matter how strong the 2nd amendment is, there's always gonna be some nutjobs out there, we just gotta accept that as inevitable. But I digress.

All religions I can think of have SOME SECTS or CHAPTERS that have shown barbaric behavior sometime o ...[text shortened]... radical band of methodists bombing a synogogue? Or a gang war between Quakers and Menonites?
    People will always kill other people, yes.

However, removing religion removes one more stupid reason for doing so.

It's amazing to me that while Jesus preached peace and love the church has sanctioned so many attrocities in his name.

You seem to want to pick and choose the biblical laws you want to uphold. My guess is that those are your real values, and it's coincidental that they are repeated to some extent in the bible.
  9. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 07:33
    All the major religions have these kind of extremists? I beg to differ, I have yet to meet, read about, or hear about a Buddhist extremist. Proper adherence to Buddhist practices would never allow for the spiritual 'suffering' (in quotes because Buddhists think of suffering differently than Westerners do) caused by acts of violence.

Buddhism is a major religion. It may not be the #1 in terms of followers but there are a hell of a lot of Buddhists.
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    13 May '08 07:36
    Originally posted by Badwater
    All the major religions have these kind of extremists? I beg to differ, I have yet to meet, read about, or hear about a Buddhist extremist. Proper adherence to Buddhist practices would never allow for the spiritual 'suffering' (in quotes because Buddhists think of suffering differently than Westerners do) caused by acts of violence.

Buddhism is a major r ...[text shortened]... ligion. It may not be the #1 in terms of followers but there are a hell of a lot of Buddhists.
    Buddhist fundamentalists in Sri Lanka assassinated their prime minister. But, pace your post, this is much more rare in Buddhism than in other religions.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 May '08 07:47

To what extent is religion to blame and to what extent is xenophobia to blame, or other cultural issues? And to what extent can we blame oil? Some Iraqis resent the US for essentially taking over their country uninvited. I might possibly feel the same way however bad my dictator was, especially when it is painfully obvious that benefit to the people was never the true motive.
    I used to know an Indian lady who had been disowned by her parents for marrying a foreigner. I doubt that that had anything to do with religion.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 May '08 07:51
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Proper adherence to Buddhist practices would never allow for the spiritual 'suffering' (in quotes because Buddhists think of suffering differently than Westerners do) caused by acts of violence.
    I am sure we can say something similar about 'True Christians' and 'True Muslims'. There is variety in every religion and there is usually at least one violent group and one non-violent group and the non-violent group can always distance themselves from the violent group claiming that they are not following the 'true' practices of the faith.
    But the fact remains that the existence of the non-violent group increases tolerance for the existence of the non-violent group. Most of the Muslims I have met are not particularly violent and would not kill their daughters, but they also would tend to give greater tolerance to a fellow Muslim who did than a non-Muslim would.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 May '08 08:31

Deplorable. What's your solution?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 May '08 08:45
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    If I had one, we'd all be atheists! Sadly, the opposite is taking place. I just read recently that the Chinese are becoming more religious.

However I still hold out hope that education will eventually win out.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 May '08 08:54
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Kill them all! Let their respective gods sort it out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree