And now...

And now...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
04 May 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thanks R J Hinds.
Then don't watch it. Just saying that the video explains nicely what you were talking about.

Moves
04 May 15

Given these additional beliefs that cluster around atheism, we’re forced to ask how a non-belief, a non-claim, a non-thing could have such gravitational force. One of the ways that scientists have in the past detected distant planets, too remote to see by telescope, is by their gravitational effect, often seen as a ‘wobble’ in the orbit of their parent ...[text shortened]... e tendency of atheism to draw other beliefs into its orbit is powerful evidence that it is a belief.
'Atheism' is like the 'Earth' in our solar system. Other planets do not cluster around it, but rather, along with the Earth, they cluster around the Sun. - Now think of the 'Sun' as 'reason' or 'common sense' and you will understand why 'atheism' and 'scientism' etc are drawn to it. .

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
04 May 15

But you have made a claim? and a truth claim at that! Don't you want to substantiate your claim? How do you expect others to believe you without substantiation? Does that seem logical, reasonable to you?

I don't know how you could go about it, its your claim. You might start with something like, I profess atheism because I cannot understand why ...[text shortened]... nnot accept the violence that has been perpetrated in the name of religion, something like that.
How about "I'm an atheist because I find myself unconvinced by the available evidence in support of the existence of a god or gods"?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 May 15

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
How about "I'm an atheist because I find myself unconvinced by the available evidence in support of the existence of a god or gods"?
How about you are atheist because you do not want to be judged by a righteous God?

Moves
04 May 15

This is a good one for Suzianne to peruse.

Putting faith in its place

&hd=1

Moves
04 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
How about you are atheist because you do not want to be judged by a righteous God?
No, because it's neither true, nor plausible.

EDIT: And this one for RJHinds, and every theist who would like to tell any atheist what they believe,
instead of asking them and listening to the answer.

&hd=1

rc

Moves
04 May 15
1 edit

You are an agnostic, not an atheist. In order to be an atheist you need to have the same perspective as a potato or a cat, oh wait, you are a cat, my bad. 😀

rc

Moves
04 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
'Atheism' is like the 'Earth' in our solar system. Other planets do not cluster around it, but rather, along with the Earth, they cluster around the Sun. - Now think of the 'Sun' as 'reason' or 'common sense' and you will understand why 'atheism' and 'scientism' etc are drawn to it. .
I mock your pretension of logic, reason and appeals to science. 😵

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 May 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
No, because it's neither true, nor plausible.

EDIT: And this one for RJHinds, and every theist who would like to tell any atheist what they believe,
instead of asking them and listening to the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oa_3HC8vdQ&hd=1
Christopher Hitchens vs Frank Turek - Atheism or Theism Explains Reality

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
04 May 15

You are an agnostic, not an atheist. In order to be an atheist you need to have the same perspective as a potato or a cat, oh wait, you are a cat, my bad. 😀
Nope. I'm an atheist because I don't believe in a god or gods. I may be agnostic because I think it's probably not possible to know if there is a god or gods. I feel this has been explained clearly enough that you should probably be able to grasp it by now.

Moves
04 May 15

I mock your pretension of logic, reason and appeals to science. 😵
Of course you do sir. Mockery is the only weapon you have at your disposal.

Cape Town

Moves
04 May 15

Your confusion is in thinking that once someone has the label atheist, he must take on a whole set of properties identical to all other atheists. Atheism isn't a religion with a creed. Atheism is merely the lack of belief in a God or gods. It does not, for example, imply a lack of belief in fairies.
So although your cat may lack belief in God (and thus be called an atheist, if we choose to extend the meaning of the -ist extension to cats), your cat presumably also doesn't believe in fairies whereas I might. So although we share the same perspective on one little thing (a lack of belief in gods) that is really all we may have in common.
Similarly, you also probably lack a belief in fairies and share that lack of belief with your cat. So in that sense, you to have the same perspective as the cat. (I don't think potatoes have perspectives, so you are outright wrong on that one).

Another source of confusion for you, is that I may hold a strong belief in the non-existence of the God as described in the Bible. But that doesn't make me an atheist, nor is it because I am an atheist. It is a separate fact about me. And as a claim I would have to justify it if I wished to persuade others of its factuality.There are plenty of other atheists who do not hold that belief.

rc

Moves
04 May 15

Nope. I'm an atheist because I don't believe in a god or gods. I may be agnostic because I think it's probably not possible to know if there is a god or gods. I feel this has been explained clearly enough that you should probably be able to grasp it by now.
No you have found no compelling evidence. That is something quite different from someone like Great King Rat who has emphatically denied the existence of gods and has made a truth claim that his atheism is true. You have evidently made no such claims. I have repeated this three times why you failed to discern the difference I cannot say. One feels that one would be better off talking it out with a cat.

rc

Moves
04 May 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
Your confusion is in thinking that once someone has the label atheist, he must take on a whole set of properties identical to all other atheists. Atheism isn't a religion with a creed. Atheism is merely the lack of belief in a God or gods. It does not, for example, imply a lack of belief in fairies.
So although your cat may lack belief in God (and thus b ...[text shortened]... ersuade others of its factuality.There are plenty of other atheists who do not hold that belief.
This is pure straw no one has claimed that all Atheistic beliefs are intended to be the same and no one has claimed that it presupposes a non belief in fairies, I have demonstrated why the Cats agnosticism is different from the Rats atheism. Please stop projecting non realities, you are misrepresenting my stance. I am also not confused as you have erroneously asserted, why don't you simply stick to the script and you may do better because it really is rather tedious to have to point out your unfounded assertions again and again. You might believe your propaganda but I don't.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 May 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
So although your cat may lack belief in God (and thus b ...[text shortened]... ersuade others of its factuality.There are plenty of other atheists who do not hold that belief.
Sure we know that atheists claim not to believe in gods or God, but do believe in fairy tales of long, long ago, such as the theory of evilution and billions and millions of years in the past that no one can check on scientifically. 😏