An interesting question

An interesting question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Oct 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Because I am an "ignorant, dogmatic, superstitious, christian freak" who wouldn't say anything worth reading?
Something like that, yeah. Except I might leave off 'ignorant' in your case. For a christian you seem to exhibit a fair amount of intelligence. But why you would want to squander that intellect in the way you do is a mystery.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
05 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by rwingett
Something like that, yeah. Except I might leave off 'ignorant' in your case. For a christian you seem to exhibit a fair amount of intelligence. But why you would want to squander that intellect in the way you do is a mystery.
Not that you asked me, but, I’ve been examining myself on this score recently (of course, maybe I am simply ignorant...)—

For me, it’s basically aesthetic—similar to listening to Beethoven—or Ravi Shankar’s ragas, or Hasidic niggun, or Sufi quwalli, for that matter—(and I’m speaking of something more that “entertainment,” though I might not have the right words thus far). Actually, it was you that got me, some time back, to think of the aesthetic dimensions of religious expression—and, with a bow to LemonJello, the aesthetic “justification” of such expression in the face of the Absurd (and trying to do that without making what Camus sees—and I see—as an unjustified “leap” ). (Although one cannot just submit to a given expression, but has to approach it creatively—as the rabbis say, you need to bring your own torah to the Torah—or one ends up abrogating her/his moral sensibilities and intellectual responsibilities).

But, I admit, it’s difficult for me not to get caught in the undergrowth when delving into, say, Torah—even as I travel fairly freely from expression to expression (finding the so-called “perennial philosophy” in each of them). There really can be a kind of seductiveness that whispers, “If only I could really believe that ‘Frodo lives!’.” I have to back off sometimes, to get some clarity back (one has to remember that there is a world outside of Beethoven’s Ninth).

As I move in and out, back and forth, I probably end up offending (or at least confusing) a lot of people. It’s funny, in a way, how many times I find myself reccing rwingett, while in the meantime engaging myself in some arduous and time-consuming exegesis of some religious text—and not just for the purpose of disputing theism. Consistency, I guess, is not my particular “hobgoblin”...

C

Argentina

Moves
05 Oct 06
1 edit

Ask God. He surely knows. Or He has the phone of someone who knows the answer.

In the last case, if you call, don't be surprised being attended by an answering machine...

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
05 Oct 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Must God exist?
Must anything exist?

n

Moves
05 Oct 06
1 edit

If nothing existed then why are you on this planet? You exist don't you? If God did not exist, then how come we are all in this here world? How does the world exist? I have witnessed some things that cannot be explained but are not super natural. 😕

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Oct 06

Originally posted by nemo46
If God did not exist, then how come we are all in this here world? How does the world exist?
If there is no super-God, then how does God exist?

It sounds like you're claiming that God exists necessarily.

n

Moves
05 Oct 06

No! Just stating a fact that we all exist so how did we get here if no one started the whole process off? Even evolution needed a start!

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Oct 06

No! Just stating a fact that we all exist so how did we get here if no one started the whole process off? Even evolution needed a start!
If someone started the whole process off, how did he come into being?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Oct 06

I can't believe I'm getting back into this nonsense. It makes me wonder if I am doing so necessarily.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
05 Oct 06

Who knows?! Does that necessarily mean it was God? If so, why the christian God? Why not Allah? Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
06 Oct 06

I can't believe I'm getting back into this nonsense. It makes me wonder if I am doing so necessarily.
I should have added "unregenerate masochist" to your profile.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
06 Oct 06

Me too! Maybe David has a point about both of us!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 Oct 06

Originally posted by vistesd
Not that you asked me, but, I’ve been examining myself on this score recently (of course, maybe I am simply ignorant...)—

For me, it’s basically aesthetic—similar to listening to Beethoven—or Ravi Shankar’s ragas, or Hasidic niggun, or Sufi quwalli, for that matter—(and I’m speaking of something more that “entertainment,” though I might not have t ...[text shortened]... for the purpose of disputing theism. Consistency, I guess, is not my particular “hobgoblin”...
I'm glad that someone appreciates my posts. Lord knows* I've spent enough time in this forum over the last 5 years**. I must say that your posts are among the more rec worthy ones around here. Your depth of knowledge on the relevant topics is most impressive. At the risk of sounding maudlin***, I think you are a true candle in the darkness.

*Figuratively speaking.
**Five years already? Where does the time go?
***Must take care not to undermine my carefully crafted curmudgeonly persona.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Oct 06

If nothing existed then why are you on this planet? You exist don't you? If God did not exist, then how come we are all in this here world? How does the world exist?
That arguement has been covered here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_argument
as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

You however go further and imply that nothing can exist without God, but do not explain why you think that.

I have witnessed some things that cannot be explained but are not super natural. 😕
Do you mean:
1. You could not explain them.
or
2. They cannot be explained (ie it would be impossible to explain them)

If 2. then how do you know they are not supernatural? One definition of 'supernatural' is "The unexplainable"

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
06 Oct 06

Originally posted by rwingett
I think you are a true candle in the darkness.
How sweet.

@Scribbles: I wonder how we could test the hypothesis that there is some sort of causal relationship between your failure to accept my Debates challenge and your wasting your life in here.