"an ancient dilemma..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
03 Aug 13

Originally posted by lemon lime
[b]You've started with a time during which the board is in existence to "freeze" everything. But, for a typical board which is an impermanent thing, there are times before which and times after which that board exists.

Irrelevant. I was talking about freezing time when the board does exist. Was that not obvious?

If you pick some other ...[text shortened]... balls are only jerking me around or if you really are as dense as you appear to be.
Meh. My response was in regards to your argument that purported to show that time is not a "true" dimension. Your argument sucked, as everyone here can see. Just own up to it like a man and get over it. I'm not sure why you are trying to keep the point alive, since you've already backpedaled, saying that instead you meant that time is not a spatial dimension. But that's just kind of a "No duh!" point, is it not?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Aug 13
2 edits

Originally posted by LemonJello
Meh. My response was in regards to your argument that purported to show that time is not a "true" dimension. Your argument sucked, as everyone here can see. Just own up to it like a man and get over it. I'm not sure why you are trying to keep the point alive, since you've already backpedaled, saying that instead you meant that time is not a spatial dimension. But that's just kind of a "No duh!" point, is it not?
I have heard a scientist claim there are more dimensions than that found in space and time. Does anyone know what they might be? Could time be made of more than one dimension like space? Do you think there are spiritual dimensions?

The Instructor

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Aug 13

"an ancient dilemma..."

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments. (OP)

Why wouldn't such an individual be content, even happy, with the prospect of eternal separation and being utterly alone?

P

Moves
15 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"an ancient dilemma..."

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the o l be content, even happy, with the prospect of eternal separation and being utterly alone?[/b]
Thanks for dragging us back to the original question by copying and pasting it (again).

I will respond by pasting the most recent post of mine that explains the other options (and that you have not responded to):

Quite simply, No.

And I will explain again why not...

If there were no time dimension in this hypothetical state then I suppose you could only have 2 options. However, terms 'eternal' and 'permanent' are meaningless outside of a time dimension. Also a 'relationship' is something that is dependent on a time dimension.

So without a time dimension, the offer is nonsensical.

With a time dimension, there are two other logical options:
- a temporary relationship
- multiple temporary relationships

Furthermore, we have no evidence that such an entity exists (or could exist) or that such an offer has been made (or could be made).

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Aug 13

Originally posted by Penguin
Thanks for dragging us back to the original question by copying and pasting it (again).

I will respond by pasting the most recent post of mine that explains the other options (and that you have not responded to):

Quite simply, No.

If there were no time dimension in this hypothetical state then I suppose you ...[text shortened]... could exist) or that such an offer has been made (or could be made).

--- Penguin.
"Furthermore, we have no evidence that such an entity exists (or could exist) or that such an offer has been made (or could be made)." --- Penguin.

Faulty premise; flawed logic; wrong conclusion. One temporal comfort: the continual warmth of being in the majority.

P

Moves
16 Aug 13

"Furthermore, we have no evidence that such an entity exists (or could exist) or that such an offer has been made (or could be made)." --- Penguin.

Faulty premise; flawed logic; wrong conclusion. One temporal comfort: the continual warmth of being in the majority.
Sorry, the point you are responding to there was a side point not relating to the original issue. Your initial (hypothetical) point was 'assuming such an offer has been made by such a being...'. The fact that I don't accept the validity of the hypothetical is irrelevant since it is hypothetical. So I apologise for making that comment and potentially side-tracking the discussion again.

Back to my actual response to the hypothetical:

Quite simply, No.

If there were no time dimension in this hypothetical state then I suppose you could only have 2 options. However, terms 'eternal' and 'permanent' are meaningless outside of a time dimension. Also a 'relationship' is something that is dependent on a time dimension.

So without a time dimension, the offer is nonsensical.

With a time dimension, there are two other logical options:
- multiple temporary relationships

Do you have a response to this?

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Aug 13

Sorry, the point you are responding to there was a side point not relating to the original issue. Your initial (hypothetical) point was 'assuming such an offer has been made by such a being...'. The fact that I don't accept the validity of the hypothetical is irrelevant since it is hypothetical. So I apologise for making that comment and potentially side-tra ...[text shortened]... ultiple temporary relationships [/i]

Do you have a response to this?

--- Penguin.
Penguin, there is a non-hypothetical time dimension; we're living within it. Therefore, permanent relationship continuing into and for eternity may be realized by reason of a singular decision within an individual's temporal life on planet earth. Such an incredible prospect becomes utter and despicable nonsense only to those who reject the possibility, by choice. -Bob

P

Moves
17 Aug 13

Penguin, there is a non-hypothetical time dimension; we're living within it. Therefore, permanent relationship continuing into and for eternity may be realized by reason of a singular decision within an individual's temporal life on planet earth. Such an incredible prospect becomes utter and despicable nonsense only to those who reject the possibility, by choice. -Bob
But that is not what we are discussing. Your op postulated an offer of a permanent relationship and asserted that the only reasonable alternative if such an offer was rejected was a permanent separation. I have given two other logical alternatives and you have failed to explain why they are not feasible.

--- Penguin

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Aug 13

But that is not what we are discussing. Your op postulated an offer of a permanent relationship and asserted that the only reasonable alternative if such an offer was rejected was a permanent separation. I have given two other logical alternatives and you have failed to explain why they are not feasible.

--- Penguin
"With a time dimension, there are two other logical options:
- multiple temporary relationships" (preceding comments)

On what basis or authority do you presume to rule out:
-a permanent relationship beginning in time
and continuing beyond lifetimes on earth?

P

Moves
18 Aug 13
2 edits

"With a time dimension, there are two other logical options:
- multiple temporary relationships" (preceding comments)

On what basis or authority do you presume to rule out:
-a permanent relationship beginning in time
and continuing beyond lifetimes on earth?
I do not and never have ruled out such an option. This should be apparent in my use of the word 'other' when I said:

I have given two other logical alternatives and you have failed to explain why they are not feasible.

It is you who appear to discount these other options when you say (in the OP) that the only alternative we should expect is a permanent separation.

Do you have any justification for discounting the two additional options I have suggested right from the first page? You have certainly not come up with anything in the 27 pages of this thread thus far.

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Aug 13
1 edit

I do not and never have ruled out such an option. This should be apparent in my use of the word '[b]other' when I said:

I have given two other logical alternatives and you have failed to explain why they are not feasible.

It is you who appear to discount these other options when you say (in the OP) that the only alternative we should ...[text shortened]... e certainly not come up with anything in the 27 pages of this thread thus far.

--- Penguin.[/b]
Eternal separation is the only viable alternative because God's Character Attribute of Justice cannot deny itself. His Perfect Integrity gives every human being the opportunity to accept the grace gift of spiritual life and permanent Royal Family relationship by faith alone in Christ alone. Since He's a gentleman, coercion's impossible; human volition is respected.

Cape Town

Moves
19 Aug 13

Eternal separation is the only viable alternative because God's Character Attribute of Justice cannot deny itself. His Perfect Integrity gives every human being the opportunity to accept the grace gift of spiritual life and permanent Royal Family relationship by faith alone in Christ alone. Since He's a gentleman, coercion's impossible; human volition is respected.
In your OP, you gave a simple hypothetical and asked us if a certain conclusion was 'reasonable'. Since you had to go outside the hypothetical of the OP to justify your conclusion, can we rightly state that no, the OPs conclusion is not reasonable?

P

Moves
19 Aug 13

Your OP was this:

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments.

Nowhere in there is any of that meaningless waffle you have just come out with. after you accept that there are two other options in the original scenario, then we can go on and discuss these extra 'character attributes' (I think you have been playing too much DnD) and whether they have any bearing on the 4 options.

--- Penguin

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Aug 13

Statement/Premise... Thesis... Antithesis... Synthesis... Observations... Tentative Conclusions... New Statement/Premise... Reflection... Agreement/Acceptance or Disagreement/Rejection... Alternative Consequences (immediate and longer term...

P

Moves
19 Aug 13

Statement/Premise... Thesis... Antithesis... Synthesis... Observations... Tentative Conclusions... New Statement/Premise... Reflection... Agreement/Acceptance or Disagreement/Rejection... Alternative Consequences (immediate and longer term...
I think you need to speak to you dealer: he's giving you the wrong drugs.

Once you are able to write a coherent sentence again, try responding to my point.

Just to remind you, in case your memory has also been addled, I suggested two further options beyond the two options in the OP, both of which should be possible in the hypothetical situation described by the OP.

--- Penguin.

--- Penguin.