An Absolute Truth

An Absolute Truth

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

weedhopper

Moves
17 Sep 10

I believe in absolute truths, but the sun rising and setting simply isn't one of them. The sun doesn't "rise"--as every 7th grade science student knows, it is the EARTH that revolves around the sun. The EARTH moves in relation to the Sun, not the other way around.

t

Moves
26 Sep 10

Originally posted by josephw
Since the beginning the sun has never failed to rise in the east and set in the west.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100923.html

AH

Moves
26 Sep 10

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I believe in absolute truths, but the sun rising and setting simply isn't one of them. The sun doesn't "rise"--as every 7th grade science student knows, it is the EARTH that revolves around the sun. The EARTH moves in relation to the Sun, not the other way around.
When most people (including science students) say “the sun rises” they implicitly mean the sun appears to rise from their viewpoint on the surface of the Earth and don’t mean the sun goes around the Earth.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Sep 10

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
When most people (including science students) say “the sun rises” they implicitly mean the sun appears to rise from their viewpoint on the surface of the Earth and don’t mean the sun goes around the Earth.
Yes. The term "the sun rises and sets" is simply a term used to describe an event or a state where certain conditions in our universe are constant and therefore absolute.

I don't know why some people have to get hung up on splitting hairs. Anyone with an elementary education knows that the sun doesn't "rise" or "set" anywhere, and that given enough time will probably fail anyway.

To be perfectly honest, I'm trying to get some place with this, but I can't it get to the next level. I don't know if it's me or not.

t

Moves
26 Sep 10

Yes. The term "the sun rises and sets" is simply a term used to describe an event or a state where certain conditions in our universe are constant and therefore absolute.

I don't know why some people have to get hung up on splitting hairs. Anyone with an elementary education knows that the sun doesn't "rise" or "set" anywhere, and that given enough time w ...[text shortened]... ace with this, but I can't it get to the next level. I don't know if it's me or not.
There will come a day the sun will no longer rise, nor set, rather all there will be IS Light!

P

weedhopper

Moves
27 Sep 10

I don't know why some people have to get hung up on splitting hairs. Anyone with an elementary education knows that the sun doesn't "rise" or "set" anywhere, and that given enough time w ...[text shortened]... ace with this, but I can't it get to the next level. I don't know if it's me or not.
It's not you--it's the example. Pick a truly absolute truth--something like "it is never acceptable to firebomb an elementary school filled with children" or "taxation without representation is tyranny". Then go from there.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
27 Sep 10
3 edits

Originally posted by bbarr
Don't be silly. I love absolutes. Here is one:

~(P&~P).

That says that no proposition can be both true and false.
oh really? well my wife knows I am wrong and I know I am right. So tell me smarty pants: If we are both right then we are both wrong, how can that be....my head hurts😞

P

weedhopper

Moves
28 Sep 10

Originally posted by duecer
oh really? well my wife [b]knows I am wrong and I know I am right. So tell me smarty pants: If we are both right then we are both wrong, how can that be....my head hurts😞[/b]
Simple. One (or both) of you is in error.

T

Moves
28 Sep 10

The core sentence of the Heart Sutra, not "Divine Law", but a highly respected Buddhist writing, states,
"Emptiness is form and all form is emptiness". The rest of the sutra goes to great lengths to explain that this is NOT a metaphorical statement but an existential statement on how it IS, as understood in the Buddhist (and other kindred traditions).
It is also like saying "Absolute truth IS relative truth and all relative truth IS absolute truth". Many very intelligent people have gone to great lengths to support with much argument what appears on the surface to be a nonsensical statement.
I happen to agree with this nonsense.

Absolute truth is before us in every moment. If it is absolute it is one, not two.
Being "one" any attempt to express it in words or language is problematical because language is always from the start labeling or differentiating one concept or thing from another. BUT even then, when we are struggling with lots of relative words and feeling frustrated as hell, absolute truth is right there in the oneness of it all. The posters here are all a very different mob, (Australian meaning) even when slashing with words, but if it were not so, as in all the "forums" of history, where would be the stage for the denouement of the play to come out?

To make clearer the view I am trying to explain - you are sitting in front of a beautiful scene or listening to music that moves your heart, classical or heavy metal, whatever. The "twoness" person will yabber about it, or grab a camera or start recording it so as to never "lose" the moment (and in so doing does the very thing he wants to avoid).

The "oneness" person will "do" something quite different.

Cheers.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Sep 10

Originally posted by Taoman
The core sentence of the Heart Sutra, not "Divine Law", but a highly respected Buddhist writing, states,
"Emptiness is form and all form is emptiness". The rest of the sutra goes to great lengths to explain that this is NOT a metaphorical statement but an existential statement on how it IS, as understood in the Buddhist (and other kindred traditions).
It is ...[text shortened]... oid).

Cheers.
Great post 🙂

t

Moves
28 Sep 10

Originally posted by Taoman
It is ...[text shortened]... oid).

Cheers.
BEAUTIFUL

t

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
BEAUTIFUL
Here IS an absolute TRUTH!

I will ~ALWAYS~ love each and every one of you!