Alternatives to Evolution

Alternatives to Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Oct 06

There are a number of people on this site (and around the world) who don't accept the Theory of Evolution as being a viable explanation for the development of life as we know it.
However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is impossible" or "we see the hand of a designer" and yet at no point do they ever say "it works like this".
I would like to know from anyone who does not accept evolution what they think did happen.
Let me first point out that just saying "It happened as given in the Bible" is not good enough as so much is left open. For example, if we accept the story of Noah as factual, then it means that all members of a species or family of species (read 'type' in ID speak) are descended from a single (or several) pair from the time of Noah. So how do we get the enormous genetic diversity we see today? Does God have a hand in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
There are a number of people on this site (and around the world) who don't accept the Theory of Evolution as being a viable explanation for the development of life as we know it.
However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is imp ...[text shortened]... in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
God done it.

That is the universal theistic answer to everything. It's not meant to have any explanatory power, but just removes all questions from play.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
27 Oct 06
2 edits

However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is imp in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
do you take the theory of evolution to be the "proper" explanation? that is to say, you beleive that evolution is a fact, and you would present it is such?

also, i don't have my bible with me but if i remember correctly after the flood God made rocks into people. thus, not everyone is decended from noah. also, noah was thousands of years ago. quite a lot of generations have passed and thus enormous genetic diversity...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by genius
do you take the theory of evolution to be the "proper" explanation? that is to say, you beleive that evolution is a fact, and you would present it is such?

also, i don't have my bible with me but if i remember correctly after the flood God made rocks into people. thus, not everyone is decended from noah. also, noah was thousands of years ago. quite a lot of generations have passed and thus enormous genetic diversity...
When Noah put two of everything in the Ark, where did he put the dinosaurs? Must have been a BIG ark, and why did they not survive the flood?

S

Moves
27 Oct 06

Do you believe the sun will rise tomorrow? Would you present the claim that the sun will rise tomorrow as a fact?

s

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
When Noah put two of everything in the Ark, where did he put the dinosaurs? Must have been a BIG ark, and why did they not survive the flood?
I think it was the size of their suitcases.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Oct 06

He put them on the ark with everything else, you think he would have
had to put the full grown ones on it?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Oct 06

However, I am yet to hear even one of them give a viable alternative explanation. The ID folks concentrate on criticizing evolution and saying "that cant happen" or "that is imp ...[text shortened]... in every single mutation? Or do you actually accept that evolution is taking place?
Evolution does not talk about how life got here, it is only a process.
The debate about that process is how did it all start, and what was
the beginning of it.
Kelly

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
27 Oct 06
1 edit

I don't remember anything about God making rocks into people. In fact, I'm positive that's not in the Bible. Maybe you are thinking of Lot's wife becoming a pillar of salt?

Anyway, I'm curious to hear an explaination of the diversity of life as well. How is it consistent with the fossil and DNA records? What are the mechanisms behind change across populations?

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by telerion
I don't remember anything about God making rocks into people. In fact, I'm positive that's not in the Bible. Maybe you are thinking of Lot's wife becoming a pillar of salt?

Anyway, I'm curious to hear an explaination of the diversity of life as well. How is it consistent with the fossil and DNA records? What are the mechanisms behind change across populations?
i found an online bible-and i must have been imagining it. can't think where i got it from!

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
27 Oct 06

It's interesting that this thread is having such a hard time taking off while "What is Wrong with Evolution" has broken the longest thread record probably five times over.

Say's something about the sad state and purpose of ID/Creationism.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by telerion
It's interesting that this thread is having such a hard time taking off while "What is Wrong with Evolution" has broken the longest thread record probably five times over.

Say's something about the sad state and purpose of ID/Creationism.
Or the sad state of evolution.
Kelly

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
Or the sad state of evolution.
Kelly
C'mon Kelly.
Stop listening to this ID crap for a minute and accept that while you don't believe it, and you remain adamant about its place as a belief - evolution is NOT in any sad state.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
27 Oct 06

What no one ever seems to discuss with this Noah rubbish is how viable populations of all species arose from just two individuals?
I mean, if a species on Earth today has only two individuals left - they're goners, and considered so. The lack of genetic diversity in two makes the likelihood of viability just about zero.
How did Noah get around this?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by amannion
What no one ever seems to discuss with this Noah rubbish is how viable populations of all species arose from just two individuals?
I mean, if a species on Earth today has only two individuals left - they're goners, and considered so. The lack of genetic diversity in two makes the likelihood of viability just about zero.
How did Noah get around this?
God done it.