Abortion...what should be the line?

Abortion...what should be the line?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

purgatory

Moves
21 Feb 07

personally i bleleve it is extremly wrong in both ways (from a catholic and athiest stand point that is) first the catholic side, no child should be killed thats all there is to it, i dont remeber the exact facts but theres somethin like 44 billon babies are aborted every year, well its somethin around there, and now ask your self how many of those babies were going to be doctors with the cure for the common cold or world leaders or even popes for that matter. now the side for the athieists the details of what they do to the babies to abort them is so grusome im not even going to go into it lets just say if it happened to your or me hitler would even question the morality of it and the bottom line of it is that it is murder, the babie has a pulse and it is breathing, not air but it has the capabilty to

anyway i hope this helped you have a good one

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by KingMe1701
...theres somethin like 44 billon babies are aborted every year...
LOL. That's several times the current world population.

But why let facts get in the way of your hysteria?

l

London

Moves
21 Feb 07
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Except that the sperm does indeed reproduce.

I was mistaken when I said a zygote cannot reproduce. It is simply another stage in a circular pattern of reproduction. Gamete => zygote => fetus => embryo => baby => adult => gamete.

You can pick any stage in the circle as the thing which is being reproduced, but that simply depends on which part of ...[text shortened]... that cycle is "better" or "more human" than any other. At all times a human organism exists.
Except that the sperm does not reproduce. You may want to look up the definition of 'reproduction':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproduction

The gamete is simply not an organism. You may want to look up 'organism' as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
The simplest critique is that it is not a biological definition that can be applied to all (or even most) living species. It is a legal definition for legal purposes - and there's no a priori reason to accept it in a philosophical discussion.
Funny, it's a definition that was approved by the American Medical Association. Are philosophical discussions allowed to make any definition of terms that the individuals in the discussion want to even if that definition contradicts reality?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Feb 07

Except that the sperm does not reproduce. You may want to look up the definition of 'reproduction':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproduction

The gamete is simply not an organism. You may want to look up 'organism' as well.
When should he? You don't have to look up the definition of death for a human being; you're allowed to make up your own according to your argument here. He should be able to do the same; after all, it's a philosophical discussion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
Funny, it's a definition that was approved by the American Medical Association. Are philosophical discussions allowed to make any definition of terms that the individuals in the discussion want to even if that definition contradicts reality?
Interesting, so when I use a term like 'fetus' you change the term I use and make the claim I said 'baby' if terms are that important, why don't you stick to those other people use as well? Seems like that also contradicts reality too when you change the words people use to make it fit your arguments.
Kelly

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Interesting, so when I use a term like 'fetus' you change the term I use and make the claim I said 'baby' if terms are that important, why don't you stick to those other people use as well? Seems like that also contradicts reality too when you change the words people use to make it fit your arguments.
Kelly
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Your claim is a fetus is the same as a baby so far as the issues here are concerned. So I'm not changing the import of your argument. If you weren't a complete fool, you'd realize this. And you're a liar anyway; in this thread you've referred to abortion as "killing babies".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 07

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Your claim is a fetus is the same as a baby so far as the issues here are concerned. So I'm not changing the import of your argument. If you weren't a complete fool, you'd realize this. And you're a liar anyway; in this thread you've referred to abortion as "killing babies".
Those words should be looked at in context when I used them once that I can recall in this thread, as you change the rules to suit yourself, you changes words to suit yourself.
Kelly

j

CA, USA

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
Those words should be looked at in context when I used them once that I can recall in this thread, as you change the rules to suit yourself, you changes words to suit yourself.
Kelly
That's what he does best .. he's a lawyer.

K

purgatory

Moves
21 Feb 07

sry LOL i tend to get carried away its probay 44 million LOL

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by jammer
That's what he does best .. he's a lawyer.
A truck driver used to amuse himself by running over lawyers he saw walking down the side of the road. Every time he saw a lawyer walking along the road, he swerved to hit him and there would be a loud "THUMP". Then he would swerve back on the road.
One day, as the truck driver was driving along the road he saw a priest hitchhiking. He thought he would do a good deed and pulled the truck over.
"Where are you going, Father?" The truck driver asked.
"I'm going to the church 5 miles down the road," replied the priest.
"No problem, Father! I'll give you a lift. Climb in the truck." The happy priest climbed into the passenger seat and the truck driver continued down the road. Suddenly, the truck driver saw a lawyer walking down the road.
Instinctively he swerved to hit him. At the last moment he remembered there was a priest in the truck with him, so he swerved back to the road and narrowly missed the lawyer.
Certain he should've missed the lawyer, the truck driver was very surprised and immediately uneasy when he heard a loud "THUMP". He felt really guilty about his actions and so turned to the priest and said, "I'm really sorry Father. I almost hit that lawyer."
"That's okay," replied the priest. "I got him with the door."

Was the priest's action morally wrong?

l

London

Moves
22 Feb 07

Read what I wrote again - I said "no a priori" reason. Your question is chasing a strawman.

In any case, the approval of the definition by the AMA does not change my objection. The AMA proposed it in conjunction with a legislative act and had in mind medical support to legal questions around death (such as when property can be transferred/inherited, whether the doctor is culpable, say, for removing life-support from a brain-dead patient etc.) It certainly was not intended to define the human being.

Besides, that the AMA defined it thus does not mean it is above scientific objections. I have now repeatedly raised the simple zoological objection to this definition of death (and the definition of 'human being' you seem to derive from it) -- which you've simply ignored.

l

London

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by dj2becker
A truck driver used to amuse himself by running over lawyers he saw walking down the side of the road. Every time he saw a lawyer walking along the road, he swerved to hit him and there would be a loud "THUMP". Then he would swerve back on the road.
One day, as the truck driver was driving along the road he saw a priest hitchhiking. He thought he ...[text shortened]... iest. "I got him with the door."

Was the priest's action morally wrong?
Of course. By possibly damaging the trucker's door he has risked property that is not his own (not to mention the truck driver's No Claims Bonus).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 Feb 07

Read what I wrote again - I said "no [b]a priori" reason. Your question is chasing a strawman.

In any case, the approval of the definition by the AMA does not change my objection. The AMA proposed it in conjunction with a legislative act and had in mind medical support to legal questions around death (such as when property can be transfe ...[text shortened]... the definition of 'human being' you seem to derive from it) -- which you've simply ignored.[/b]
LMAO!!! As usual you only accept the views of experts when they agree with your religious based ideas. I would say defining when a human being is dead is necessarily defining what an alive human being is.

Your zoological objection is nonsensical. The definition would apply to those species who have the systems described in the Act.

l

London

Moves
22 Feb 07
5 edits

LMAO!!! As usual you only accept the views of experts when they agree with your religious based ideas. I would say defining when a human being is dead is necessarily defining what an alive human being is.

Your zoological objection is nonsensical. The definition would apply to those species who have the systems described in the Act.
So, according to the Act, species that do not have the necessary organ systems are not alive at all?

EDIT: And please do not accuse me of being the one accepting the views of experts only when they agree with my preconceptions. I can recall several lengthy discussions (on Galileo, for instance) where you've rejected numerous historians and scientists out of hand for disagreeing with yours.

Defining when a human being is dead for specific legal purposes does not provide a blanket definition of when a human being is dead for all discussions; much less a definition of what an alive human being is. You should stop thinking that just because something is on the statutes of the US legal system, it has a privileged place in human thinking across disciplines -- especially philosophy.

EDIT2: And don't even get me started on "bridging" species that only have part of the relevant systems (e.g. notochordates comes to mind).