A Serious Question:  Pangea

A Serious Question: Pangea

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Oct 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Let's backtrack a moment here. Scribs' fourth option was:

4) No, although like the fossils, God has put evidence of Pangea in the earth, to either confound man or test his faith.

This is actually a conjunction of three premises:

A) No, Pangea did not exist.
B) God has put evidence of Pangea in the earth.
C) God did (B) to either co ...[text shortened]... al conclusion of such a hypothesis. Nor have I seen creationists actually cleave to that reason.
Thanks. I'll have to switch back to option 3, it's obvious to me now that God didn't put fossils in the earth to test people's faith.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Oct 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Hiya FS, your link had a lot more "science" than the previous "proof" I had to deal with. Not too easy to dimiss as a bunch of logical fallicies, 🙂

Concession1: I admit the case for an old earth is an almost overwhelmingly strong one...
Concession2: Good link...

Although he didn't quite counter all the assumptions conclusively, it seems quite ...[text shortened]... radioactive decay over time:

http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=articles&action=view&ID=200
It seems your guy hasn't read Wein:
"Beyond this, scientists have now used a "time machine" to prove that the half-lives of radioactive species were the same millions of years ago. This time machine does not allow people to actually go back in time, but it does allow scientists to observe ancient events from a long way away. The time machine is called the telescope. Because God's universe is so large, images from distant events take a long time to get to us. Telescopes allow us to see supernovae (exploding stars) at distances so vast that the pictures take hundreds of thousands to millions of years to arrive at the Earth. So the events we see today actually occurred hundreds of thousands to millions of years ago. And what do we see when we look back in time? Much of the light following a supernova blast is powered by newly created radioactive parents. So we observe radiometric decay in the supernova light. The half-lives of decays occurring hundreds of thousands of years ago are thus carefully recorded! These half-lives completely agree with the half-lives measured from decays occurring today. We must conclude that all evidence points towards unchanging radioactive half-lives."

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
18 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by frogstomp
It seems your guy hasn't read Wein:
"Beyond this, scientists have now used a "time machine" to prove that the half-lives of radioactive species were the same millions of years ago. This time machine does not allow people to actually go back in time, but it does allow scientists to observe ancient events from a long way away. The time machine is ...[text shortened]... ng today. We must conclude that all evidence points towards unchanging radioactive half-lives."
Erm... pardon my ignorance, but how do you conclusively measure radioactive decay and its half-life through a telescope?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Oct 05
1 edit

Erm... pardon my ignorance, but how do you conclusively measure radioactive decay and its half-life through a telescope?
spectrography.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
18 Oct 05
1 edit

spectrography.
I'm still not sure I'm following you... Isn't a spectrograph used to measure the intensity and wavelength of light and the resulting spectrum. Surely this wouldn't be considered hard evidence for radioactive decay. I understand that different elements would give different spectra, but how would you calculate concentrations etc which are essential to radiometric dating?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Oct 05

I'm still not sure I'm following you... Isn't a spectrograph used to measure the intensity and wavelength of light and the resulting spectrum. Surely this wouldn't be considered hard evidence for radioactive decay. I understand that different elements would give different spectra, but how would you calculate concentrations etc which are essential to radiometric dating?
here's the basics:

http://www.ipac.caltech.edu/Outreach/Edu/Spectra/spec.html

w

Moves
21 Oct 05

i think that the world was connected but not from the atlantic i think that it could have been the gap between alaska and asia in the land bridge that was once there is and is now gone is a result of pangea

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
22 Oct 05

Originally posted by will123
i think that the world was connected but not from the atlantic i think that it could have been the gap between alaska and asia in the land bridge that was once there is and is now gone is a result of pangea
The land bridge you speak of was formed during the last ice age and has nothing to do with Pangea.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 Oct 05

The land bridge you speak of was formed during the last ice age and has nothing to do with Pangea.
In the YEC model, the last ice age was just after pagea and the flood.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Oct 05

In the YEC model, the last ice age was just after pagea and the flood.
you know what I think of the YEC model , don't you?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
23 Oct 05

you know what I think of the YEC model , don't you?
That its not much more than a pile of doo-doo?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
This is the third installment in my "A Serious Question" series. The first two have been a success, marked by reasonable, on-topic discussion directly addressing the question at hand. Hopefully we may continue in that vein.

This week's question: Do creationists believe in Pangea - the idea that all of earth's continents used to be interlock ...[text shortened]... rizes your beliefs about Pangea. I will be happy to entertain wholly different options as well.
Do not know, I guess it is possible. As it says in the beginning
the earth was without form and void, so how it got molded into
form at the beginning is anyone's guess.
Kelly
Gen 1:1-2
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the
surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the
waters.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Do not know, I guess it is possible. As it says in the beginning
the earth was without form and void, so how it got molded into
form at the beginning is anyone's guess.
Kelly
Gen 1:1-2
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the
surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the
waters.
Do you think all the options I gave are equally likely to be true?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Oct 05

That its not much more than a pile of doo-doo?
you said it.

wasnt a bad model when it was made up, however science has replaced it.
btw the people in antiquity called the Sumerians "the Watchers" because the studied the stars. Might just be that the bible creation story actually did come from their very primative science.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Do you think all the options I gave are equally likely to be true?
What the yes, yes, yes, or no options that you gave if I got the
options down right? No, they are not equal, but as I said, I do not
know. It is interesting, but that is as far as it goes for me, that
question is like when will the rapture occur? My view, it doesn't
matter.
Kelly