A mental exercise for believers in God.

A mental exercise for believers in God.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
24 Mar 07

Originally posted by knightmeister
That's rich coming from a man who believes in the reality of God based on nothing more than feelings:HOWARDGEE

You put words into my mouth without proper regard for what I have said. I have never said the above and you know it. There is much more to faith than feelings. The above statement is a concoction of fallacy based on your own pre-determined ...[text shortened]... ip on your shoulder would never allow you to have anything but disdain for a theist position.
"I do have objective proof but it is proof to me and not to others. The evidence before me is sufficient for me and thus constitutes proof for me. The evidence is real enough although for you it is unconvincing. That's fine... that's your opinion. The fact that this evidence is unconvincing to you is neither here nor there to me because the chip on your shoulder would never allow you to have anything but disdain for a theist position."

Hang on their, you just said you had objective proof but you have described a purely subjective proof. To be objective, it must be clear to others as well as you.

--- Penguin.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 Mar 07

Exactly , you are right , but neither you or howard seem to be able to appreciate an individual position. Did it ever occur to you that many Christians may have got a hell of a lot wrong?
But YOU got it all right, of course.

I bet they think that too.

Has it ever occurred to you that it might be you who is wrong??

No?? Didn't think so.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
25 Mar 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
But YOU got it all right, of course.

I bet they think that too.

Has it ever occurred to you that it might be you who is wrong??

No?? Didn't think so.
It would be nice to give me a chance to answer the question before answering it for me first. But hey ho ...don't bother yourself with such troubling details ...I know you are not really interested anyway.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
25 Mar 07

Originally posted by Penguin
[b]"I do have objective proof but it is proof to me and not to others. The evidence before me is sufficient for me and thus constitutes proof for me. The evidence is real enough although for you it is unconvincing. That's fine... that's your opinion. The fact that this evidence is unconvincing to you is neither here nor there to me because the chip on your s ...[text shortened]... ctive[/i] proof. To be objective, it must be clear to others as well as you.

--- Penguin.
Only if the "proof" or evidence is to be sufficient for others. For example , if you look at scientific models of the world some of them (eg the theory of Global Dimming) are subject to certain interpretations of events in the world . The African famines for example are seen in this context to those who subscribe to this model but they are not objectively proven to the scientific community , however , if one does subscribe to that model they constitute evidence for the individual.

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Mar 07

Only if the "proof" or evidence is to be sufficient for others. For example , if you look at scientific models of the world some of them (eg the theory of Global Dimming) are subject to certain interpretations of events in the world . The African famines for example are seen in this context to those who subscribe to this model but they are not objecti ...[text shortened]... y , however , if one does subscribe to that model they constitute evidence for the individual.
You really need to learn the difference between subjective and objective proofs, before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Mar 07

It would be nice to give me a chance to answer the question before answering it for me first. But hey ho ...don't bother yourself with such troubling details ...I know you are not really interested anyway.
Well go on then, answer it.

Whilst you're at it, try answering this question I asked a while back which you have been repeatedly ignoring:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=65390&page=6#post_1241180

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by howardgee
You really need to learn the difference between subjective and objective proofs, before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
I know the difference fine. One can perceive something in the objective natural world that to one's own subjective perception is sufficient as evidence to support one's beliefs. This evidence can be objective and subjective simultaneously. One interprets (all we all do) the objective information in a subjective way. This means it is not proof to others but it is evidence nonetheless for the individual. It does not fulfil the strict criteria for a scientific proof but neither does that make it a totally subjective thing either.
Your problem is you don't know the difference between all or nothing thinking and analytic thought.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
26 Mar 07

Well go on then, answer it.

Whilst you're at it, try answering this question I asked a while back which you have been repeatedly ignoring:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=65390&page=6#post_1241180
a) what would be the point? If he is already so closed as to be answering before I have a chance then he will not listen anyway.

b) I looked and could not find your question. But a) might well apply to you also.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
26 Mar 07

Feel free to give my your answer if it's any different to the one I suggested.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
26 Mar 07

a) what would be the point? If he is already so closed as to be answering before I have a chance then he will not listen anyway.

b) I looked and could not find your question. But a) might well apply to you also.
Yes I will. Come on, what's wrong? Scared?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
26 Mar 07

I know the difference fine. One can perceive something in the objective natural world that to one's own subjective perception is sufficient as evidence to support one's beliefs. This evidence can be objective and subjective simultaneously. One interprets (all we all do) the objective information in a subjective way. This means it is not proof to others ...[text shortened]... roblem is you don't know the difference between all or nothing thinking and analytic thought.
No. That's just taking evidence then imposing a pre-conceived notion onto it.

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Mar 07
1 edit

Here are my questions for a fourth time:

So you believe that homosexuality is a natural occurrence and no better or worse than heterosexuality?

You believe abortions should be allowed?
You agree with the use of contraception?
You disagree with circumcision (except for males in medically desired circumstances)?
You think that females should be allowed to become religious ministers?

P

Moves
26 Mar 07

From the original post:

The question for you to try to answer is this:

"What evidence would be sufficient to persuade you that God does not exist?"

As a counter example, and in a forlorn attempt to bring this thread kicking and screaming back to its original topic, I came across this essay from the other point of view - some examples of evidence that an atheist would find sufficient for him to believe in a given diety.

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/theistguide.html

I think it's a pretty good set of tests and it certainly describes evidence that would convince me and, I suspect, a large number of atheists while also describing the kind of thing that simply will not do the job.

In fact, the whole site looks pretty good if you want to see what an atheist believes and why (obviously it may not apply to all atheists).

So shall we have another go? Having seen examples of what an atheist would consider convincing evidence for God, is there any theoretically testable evidence that, if demonstrated, would convince any of the theists on this list that maybe their God does not exist?

--- Penguin.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
26 Mar 07

Here are my questions for a fourth time:

So you believe that homosexuality is a natural occurrence and no better or worse than heterosexuality?

You disagree with circumcision (except for males in medically desired circumstances)?

The phrase better or worse is misleading here , but yes I think homosexuality is a natural occurence. The Bible got it wrong in my opinion.

Yes, but I think there are associated problems and ethical problems and each case is individual.

Yes.

I disagree with circumsion as a religious practice.

Absolutely.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
26 Mar 07

The phrase better or worse is misleading here , but yes I think homosexuality is a natural occurence. The Bible got it wrong in my opinion.

Yes, but I think there are associated problems and ethic ...[text shortened]... ice.

Absolutely.
Good you've answered Howard's questions. Now perhaps mine?

Do you concede that it may be you, and not others, who got their interpretation of biblical scripture wrong?