a good question

a good question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
so those type of Christians, would look at it as if it were similiar to confucianism or something? that God doesnt exist, and that the bible is just a way you should live? can you give any examples of symbolism in the bible?
No, God exists or you wouldn't be a Christian.
The whole thing can be taken as one big moral if you like - live right, be good, and good things will happen to you.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by amannion
No, God exists or you wouldn't be a Christian.
The whole thing can be taken as one big moral if you like - live right, be good, and good things will happen to you.
ok i get it, like a fictional story that tells a lesson? so if you believe in it that way, then you actually don't know anything about God.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
25 Oct 06

ok i get it, like a fictional story that tells a lesson? so if you believe in it that way, then you actually don't know anything about God.
Ah nice question and this is where it gets a little grey.
Whilst many theological scholars would say that the biblical stories are not historical in the sense we would use it today - you know, this event happened at this time and with these people and so on - they would argue that the characters in the stories and the notion and characteristcs of God so portryed, were based on actual people with actual experiences of God.
So they would argue that you know alot about God from these stories.

The problem is that before the complete dominance of our culture by the western scientific tradition around the 16th and 17th centuries, there were two equally important ways of knowing about the world. These were what we might call today the scientific way and the mythic way.
Today we would denigrate the mythic as only being about telling stories.
If you want to get to the truth we would say, you've got to analyse and dissect and experiment.
In the past this was one way of understanding the world, and coupled nicely with an alternate way which was the mythic.

Because we all of us - Christian and nonChristian, fundamentalist and not - live in the modern world, the notion of accepting anything other than the scientific way of knowing the world is anathema.
You want the truth - you analyse the world scientifically.
So, for fundamentalists, this means treating the bible as if it were actually true - that is, understanding it from the scientific perspective.
For people living in earlier times this was unnecessary.

I think we're probably the poorer for it ...

(By the way, a good account of this is provided by Karen Armstrong in her book about fundamentalist religions, The Battle for God. It's worth taking a look at.)

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Oct 06

so those type of Christians, would look at it as if it were similiar to confucianism or something? that God doesnt exist, and that the bible is just a way you should live? can you give any examples of symbolism in the bible?
Jesus' parables would be an obvious example.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Whilst many theological scholars would say that the biblical stories are not historical in the sense we would use it today - you know, this event happened at this time and with these people and so on - they would argue that the characters in the stories and the notion and characteristcs of God so po ...[text shortened]... in her book about fundamentalist religions, The Battle for God. It's worth taking a look at.)
is it possible that it is exaggerated? that it is based on facts but exaggerated to be more interesting? for ex. the Iliad and the Odyssey, some people believe it was based on true events but exaggerated by Homer.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Jesus' parables would be an obvious example.
i know there are millions of things symbolic about the bible, but i dont have one to look them up and dont know any off the top of my head.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Oct 06

i know there are millions of things symbolic about the bible, but i dont have one to look them up and dont know any off the top of my head.
Here's a list of all the parables in the New Testament with links: http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/parables.htm

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
25 Oct 06

Start at the beginning.

The creation story is meant as a symbol/allegory for the beauty and brilliance of the universe and the things in it that God created. (If you believe in God that is.)

Cape Town

Moves
25 Oct 06

i dont believe in evolution, i dont believe that we evolved from apes. what about the other apes? shouldnt they be humans too? how long ago were dinosaurs around?
So do you believe we are all decended from adam (via noah)? If so then what happened to all the other races? Why arent we all the same race/skin color? Did we evolve? Oh no! thats blasphemy!
Looks like you skipped science class.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
It's hard to believe that you pretend to have any degree of rationality. Your posts are as dogmatic as dj2becker's.
Back to the ad homs marauder? Nothing worthwhile to say?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Back to the ad homs marauder? Nothing worthwhile to say?
What was "worthwhile" in your ridiculous response?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Oct 06
1 edit

Whilst many theological scholars would say that the biblical stories are not historical in the sense we would use it today - you know, this event happened at this time and with these people and so on - they would argue that the characters in the stories and the notion and characteristcs of God so po in her book about fundamentalist religions, The Battle for God. It's worth taking a look at.)
rec'd.

EDIT: As one rabbi put it, the opening words of Torah are “Once upon a time” (b’reisheet, generally translated as “in the beginning,” can also be “with beginning,” etc.). The same rabbi said: “Torah is story!” And those who collected, preserved and edited the ancient stories kept the good, the bad and the ugly.

An interesting, and from my view tragic, spin-off of our lost understanding and appreciation of mythic story-telling, is that so many nontheists have become convinced that the biblical literalists/historicists are correct in that such a reading is, ought to be, and/or always has been normative—and, understandably, reject it all. Such folks generally would have no problems with other mythologies—or with Lord of the Rings, say. Of course, there is a weaving of history and myth in the biblical narratives: a literary genre (perhaps largely created by redaction) of “histo-myth.”

Still, failure to recognize it as fundamentally myth, allegory, poetry, etc, leads to the problem that I call “turning mythology into fantasy by trying to read it literally.”

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Oct 06

I think we're probably the poorer for it ...
Yes, fantasy novels don't quite cut it.

Mircea Eliade is a wonderful writer for anyone trying to understand the mythic from a contemporary perspective. Jung helps with incorporating it. There are others, too (any suggestions?).

s

Moves
25 Oct 06

Start at the beginning.

The creation story is meant as a symbol/allegory for the beauty and brilliance of the universe and the things in it that God created. (If you believe in God that is.)
Sorry, don't agree with you.

All of this business about allegory is a modern take.

This fairy story was written at a time when such things were taken at face value.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by sugiezd
This fairy story was written at a time when such things were taken at face value.
Correct--the value of myth for early societies was precisely the reality of the story, which took place "in that time", the Dreamtime if you like. Or, if you prefer, the function of the myth was to connect society with "true reality", abode of the gods.

Fancy a mushroom?