A Christian

A Christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Jun 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
SHALL SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH! Where is there a provision for forgiveness in the OT law?
Yes. God could forgive sins.

You are confusing the law with the punishment for violation of the law. The law was against adultery - that has not changed. The punishment was to be stoned to death. That may or may not have changed. But Jesus forgave her - so there was no punishment. Jesus came to forgive. That the whole point of Jesus' death, for the forgiveness of sins.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jun 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Yes. God could forgive sins.

You are confusing the law with the punishment for violation of the law. The law was against adultery - that has not changed. The punishment was to be stoned to death. That may or may not have changed. But Jesus forgave her - so there was no punishment. Jesus came to forgive. That the whole point of Jesus' death, for the forgiveness of sins.
The Law of Moses contains a prohibition and a punishment for the prohibited act. If you change the punishment for a crime, you are surely changing the law. New York re-instituted the death penalty a decade ago; that changed the law. You are extremely confused if you believe that the punishment is not part of the law; the punishment was expressly given in the OT and Jesus got rid of it ("I do not condemn thee"😉.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jun 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Go and study orthodox Roman-Catholic theology before spouting your non-sensical stances on the forums.

You are the fundamentalist and the literalist here in this discussion no1 and a ridiculous one at that.
Why don't you simply state what the orthodox RCC posiition is? That would be adding something to the discussion rather than continuing your stupid little war. You failed to make any argument that what I say is nonsense; just asserting it don't make it so. I say that Jesus abolished the death penalty for adultery and that was a change from OT law. Do you agree or not?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Jun 05
2 edits

The Law of Moses contains a prohibition and a punishment for the prohibited act. If you change the punishment for a crime, you are surely changing the law. New York re-instituted the death penalty a decade ago; that changed the l ...[text shortened]... ven in the OT and Jesus got rid of it ("I do not condemn thee"😉.
You do not understand what the Bible means by saying Jesus did not come to end the Law. Jesus did not change what it means to violate the Law - sin - He fulfilled the demands of the Law by not sining and being crucified. The Gospel is not about the details on punishment - the OT is not New York - it's about being forgiven your sins. The OT Law is not changed - but our relationship to God has. The covenant relationship God established with the Jews has been opened up to the Gentiles.

The Law is made clearest in the ten commandments. It tells up what is sin and what is good. Your focus on civil law has you confused. The law is to love God with all you being, and your neighbor as yourself. Not do X or get punishment Y. That was part of the Pharisee's errors.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Jun 05

The OT Law is not changed - but our relationship to God has. The covenant relationship God established with the Jews has been opened up to the Gentiles.
So, if my brother dies before impregnating his wife, I am obligated to impregnate her and raise the child as my brother's? If I do not do this, have I sinned or not?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Jun 05

Originally posted by bbarr
So, if my brother dies before impregnating his wife, I am obligated to impregnate her and raise the child as my brother's? If I do not do this, have I sinned or not?
Well, what is the answer, Coletti? Has this law changed or not?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jun 05
1 edit

You do not understand what the Bible means by saying Jesus did not come to end the Law. Jesus did not change what it means to violate the Law - sin - He fulfilled the demands of the Law by not sining and being crucified. The Gospel is not ...[text shortened]... o X or get punishment Y. That was part of the Pharisee's errors.
I understand just fine. I also understand that you came into this thread late and didn't bother to read what the discussion was about. BF101 stated: "Yes, I do believe that the Laws of Deuteronomy And Levitcus are to be adhered to". He was referring to the specific laws mentioned in those chapters. That is what is being discussed and those laws were basically a civil and criminal code. And Jesus said parts of them and by possible implication ALL of them, are no longer valid as a civil and criminal code. That is what I am saying; I might well agree with most of what you say in this post, but that does not mean that Jesus didn't invalidate the OT laws, at least in part. I already drew the distinction between the Law and the OT laws in a prior post which, presumably, you didn't read.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Jun 05
1 edit

Why don't you simply state what the orthodox RCC posiition is? That would be adding something to the discussion rather than continuing your stupid little war. You failed to make any argument that what I say is nonsense; just a ...[text shortened]... r adultery and that was a change from OT law. Do you agree or not?
"My stupid little war" ?

What do you think you are doing here ? Having a civil debate ?

If you would change your ways I would be inclined to discuss things with you, but you continue to convince me you'll never be able to change your annoying "debating" habits.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Jun 05

Well, what is the answer, Coletti? Has this law changed or not?

Another literalist joins the action.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Jun 05

Another literalist joins the action.
To whom are you referring? I am no literalist, I argue against literalists by trying to show then how silly the Bible is when interpreted literally.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Jun 05

To whom are you referring? I am no literalist, I argue against literalists by trying to show then how silly the Bible is when interpreted literally.

Then what is the correct answer to your question ?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Jun 05

Then what is the correct answer to your question ?
The answer is either that the law still binds or that it doesn't. I am waiting for Coletti's answer.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Jun 05
1 edit

The answer is either that the law still binds or that it doesn't. I am waiting for Coletti's answer.
You really think it is that simple ?

Do you want to prove that Coletti is a literalist ? I don't think he is.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Jun 05

You really think it is that simple ?
Of course not, the answer will have to be qualified. I've read Romans 7.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Jun 05

Do you want to prove that Coletti is a literalist ? I don't think he is.
In my book Coletti is a literalist, though not as bad as some. I am not out to prove this.