Toolbar or automatic notifier

Toolbar or automatic notifier

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Groningen

Moves
19 Jan 05

Isn't it possible to upgrade this great site with a somewhat more advanced 'your move' notification. For example a small toolbar which starts blinking when it's your turn? Or any other inventive solution? I think this would be a very handy extension. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

c

Moves
27 Jan 05

YES! Exactly what I came to the forum to suggest...
I just moved here from a site called gameknot.com, which kept giving me cookie errors. This site seems vastly superior in every way, except that they had available, as a free download, an IE toolbar which allowed for easy site access and logon, and flashed when you had a game awaiting your attention. Something like that would be great.

Moves
27 Jan 05

So did 'cookie error' flash as well?😵

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by cyruslyons
I just moved here from a site called gameknot.com, which kept giving me cookie errors. This site seems vastly superior in every way, except that they had available, as a free download, an IE toolbar which allowed for easy site access and logon, and flashed when you had a game awaiting your attention. Something like that would be great.
Russ said he that he needed exactly 2 more subscriptions before he could afford to implement a toolbar.

; D

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Characters and events depicted in this post do not exist, and any similarities with real life characters and/or events are strictly coincidental.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by cyruslyons
I (like many sensible people) use firefox. I don't know if an IE toolbar would be any use to me. I'm quite happy with leaving Chessatwork in a background tab and refreshing it every once in a while.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Russ said he that he needed exactly 2 more subscriptions before he could afford to implement a toolbar.
LMFAO!

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
...I'm quite happy with leaving Chessatwork in a background tab and refreshing it every once in a while.
I don't know if Russ likes to read that: you cause traffic to the server that way...
th

N

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by mikkip
Isn't it possible to upgrade this great site with a somewhat more advanced 'your move' notification. For example a small toolbar which starts blinking when it's your turn? Or any other inventive solution? I think this would be a very handy extension. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
I dont think it could be THAT difficult to create a icon that flashes in the taskbar next to any other icon - and when clicked goes to your games. YOU HAVE A GREAT IDEA - WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO DOWNLOAD😏

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
28 Jan 05
3 edits

This does exist already in very early form. ("The RHP Agent" ) It sits in your system tray, next to your clock, and notifies you when games and messages are waiting. BUT, this was never really made public. It is still unfinished, although functional.

If people REALLY want this, I can probably get that project going again. I think we could handle the traffic now due to some optimisations made since the original implementation.

You must have .net installed if you want to play with it. I'll find the code and make it available if anyone wants it.

-Russ

S

Internet

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by Russ
This does exist already in very early form. ("The RHP Agent" ) It sits in your system tray, next to your clock, and notifies you when games and messages are waiting. BUT, this was never really made public. It is still unfinished, although functional.

If people REALLY want this, I can probably get that project going again. I think we could handle the t ...[text shortened]... u want to play with it. I'll find the code and make it available if anyone wants it.

-Russ
Will you make the code or only the program available? I'd like to toy with a similar thing for OS X some time.

h

Moves
28 Jan 05
1 edit

I also use Firefox and installed a "reload"extension from:

[edit: Russ]

It works well!

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
28 Jan 05
1 edit

Please do not use this.

Loading an entire page is very wasteful, and there is no 'back off mechanism' for this plug in. For example, with an always-on connection you could go away for the weekend and still thrash our site.

A massive waste of resources.

-Russ

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
28 Jan 05

Originally posted by hahabe
I also use Firefox and installed a "reload"extension from:

[edit: Russ]

It works well!
Just turn on move notification emails and use filters to put them all into a folder where they don't fill up your inbox and u can mass delete once in a while. With gmail/hotmail/yahoo, you can have system tray progs to notify u when u receive a move, so basically the notify of move system already exists.

D

h

Moves
31 Jan 05

[b]Please do not use this.

Loading an entire page is very wasteful, and there is no 'back off mechanism' for this plug in. For example, with an always-on connection you could go away for the weekend and still thrash our site.

-Russ
[/b]
[b]Please do not use this.

-Russ
[/b]

Well, didn't realize that it's "heavy" for the site, so I removed it.

penguinpuffin

finsbury

Moves
31 Jan 05

This would be really good. I'm guilty of reloading manually quite frequently when i'm online. I'm guessing this Agent would be a more efficient use of bandwidth...? Sign me up!