Tied Players Advancing in Tourneys

Tied Players Advancing in Tourneys

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Jan 09
2 edits

Originally posted by John of Reading
So middle-game attacking skills are worth more than endgame skills? Not keen!
At least this has some relation to chess skill, as opposed to a coin flip.

Without playing any extra games, picking a tiebreak system is a matter of choosing the lesser evil.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by zakkwylder
Maybe I'm just repeating myself, but I really think putting a limit on the points attainable from draws is perhaps the best solution that won't punish people who actually get legitimate draws.
RHP already does this [3 for a win and only 1 for a draw].

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
This still encourages some game dragging...people will play out their lost games until the 'capped' move number, then resign.

However, it would also motivate players to look for forced mates and not just be content to ride their material advantage into an endgame.

It's better than a random determination.
Encouraging the dragging out of tourneys is a much greater evil than breaking a tie break by random means. Due to rule changes on RHP, they now drag out interminably. An average 3/7 which used to finish in approximately 9 months when I first started playing here is now virtually certain to take about 2 years.

I see no merit in rewarding certain styles over others.

Flip the coin! Since you didn't win your section, you don't have any particularly strong moral claim to advance. A random choice between two (or more) equally undeserving players seems fair to me.

e4

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Encouraging the dragging out of tourneys is a much greater evil than breaking a tie break by random means. Due to rule changes on RHP, they now drag out interminably. An average 3/7 which used to finish in approximately 9 months when I first started playing here is now virtually certain to take about 2 years.

I see no merit in rewardin ...[text shortened]... o advance. A random choice between two (or more) equally undeserving players seems fair to me.
Flip a coin?

This is a wind up.

When does the coin get flipped and who flips the coin.
Are witness's allowed to see the flipping on the coin.

What happens if both players asked for heads?
They flip a coin to see who gets heads or tails?

Why bother playing the tournament at all - flip a coin for every game?

You are not scraping the bottom of the barrel for a solution,
you have moved the barrel aside and are digging underneath it.

Play Off(s): No time bank, game last's 24 hours (literally)
White's clock starts ticking 7 days after last game ends.
If this game is drawn Black player goes through.
(else the wise guys will keep drawing with each other).

It's a naff solution (Black has draw odds) but it's better than a
random method.
(I do know you do not mean we actually flip a coin. Just having a piece
of fun with the thought ot it).

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Jan 09

I see no merit in rewardin ...[text shortened]... o advance. A random choice between two (or more) equally undeserving players seems fair to me.
If I want to enter a competition where results are determined randomly, I'll go in for Risk or Monopoly, not Chess.

So, if two players both go 15-1 in a group, they are "undeserving" and "have [no] particularly strong moral claim to advance"? How bizarre - as if racking up 15 wins and crushing the rest of the field counts for nothing!

Frankly, I'd rather let them both go through than throw one out at random. As Larry Evans often says, "Will we destroy chess to save it?"

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
20 Jan 09

RHP already does this [3 for a win and only 1 for a draw].
Try reading a post before responding to it. Turd.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by zakkwylder
Try reading a post before responding to it. Turd.
Oh, you mean this post, the one I didn't respond to?
I suggest that the amount of points attainable from draws be limited.
1 point limit from draws in groups of 4.
2 point limit from draws in groups of 8
3 point limit from draws in groups of 16.
I oppose this on grounds that a draw should never be scored the same as a loss.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Jan 09

If I want to enter a competition where results are determined randomly, I'll go in for Risk or Monopoly, not Chess.

So, if two players both go 15-1 in a group, they are "undeserving" and "have [no] particularly strong moral claim to advance"? How bizarre - as if racking up 15 wins and crushing the rest of the field counts for nothing!

Frankly, I'd ...[text shortened]... throw one out at random. As Larry Evans often says, "Will we destroy chess to save it?"
My point stands and you haven't refuted it by acting morally outraged.

Randomness already plays a large factor in tournaments here as it decides who is in the sections. Maybe you should play Monopoly or Risk if this bothers you soooooooooooooooo much.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Jan 09

My point stands and you haven't refuted it by acting morally outraged.

Randomness already plays a large factor in tournaments here as it decides who is in the sections. Maybe you should play Monopoly or Risk if this bothers you soooooooooooooooo much.
Your 'point' was essentially that some of the chess-related tiebreakers proposed lead to players winning groups without fully meriting it, so instead, we should adopt a system that guarantees that the winner does not merit his victory. Yeah, go ahead, let that stand; see how much traction it gets.

And no amount of randomness is going to knock that 2200 player out of the tournament; he still has to be beaten at some point...well, that is, unless we adopt your proposal.

F

Moves
21 Jan 09
3 edits

I have to ask - Do anyone actually propose that we use a coin to flip, to determine who wins a group in a tournament? Seriously? 😕

So chess is suddenly a game of chance? What will the next step be?
"Dice chess"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice_chess)

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Jan 09
3 edits

Your 'point' was essentially that some of the chess-related tiebreakers proposed lead to players winning groups without fully meriting it, so instead, we should adopt a system that [b]guarantees that the winner does not merit his victory. Yeah, go ahead, let that stand; see how much traction it gets.

And no amount of randomness is going to knock t ...[text shortened]... ament; he still has to be beaten at some point...well, that is, unless we adopt your proposal.[/b]
No, that wasn't my point and you have a serious reading comprehension disorder if you think that was my point.

Either one (or any one) of the tied players equally deserve (or don't deserve) to advance. All the non-random proposals have serious defects. Thus, the random proposal is still the best. It solves the original problem quite nicely, makes sandbagging irrelevant and doesn't delay the tournament further.

Understand my point now?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Jan 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I have to ask - Do anyone actually propose that we use a coin to flip, to determine who wins a group in a tournament? Seriously? 😕

So chess is suddenly a game of chance? What will the next step be?
"Dice chess"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice_chess)
Try actually reading the thread. It sometimes helps.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Jan 09

No, that wasn't my point and you have a serious reading comprehension disorder if you think that was my point.

Either one (or any one) of the tied players equally deserve (or don't deserve) to advance. All the non-random proposals have serious defects. Thus, the random proposal is still the best. It solves the original problem quite nicel ...[text shortened]... irrelevant and doesn't delay the tournament further.

Understand my point now?
The random proposal has the most serious defect of them all: it takes a game of skill and makes it into a game of chance.

Thus, my evaluation of your proposal remains accurate.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Jan 09

The random proposal has the most serious defect of them all: it takes a game of skill and makes it into a game of chance.

Thus, my evaluation of your proposal remains accurate.
That's a ridiculous statement considering that random factors already heavily influence who advances in tournaments here. Thus, your evaluation is idiotic.

The present system, where everybody in a group can advance and which encourages the fixing of games, is a mess.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Jan 09

All the non-random proposals have serious defects. Thus, the random proposal is still the best.
What is the defect of letting the higher rated player pass?