RHP Olympics.

RHP Olympics.

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
13 Aug 06

I propose that every year a huge tournament should begin ...
that tournament should have a slow and gentle time limit to allow all players to play ... it should be based on taking FOUR years to complete.

there will be four rounds in the tournament, and each round takes 1 year.

this gives a time limit of 0/183 days at least. Given that some rounds will will finish early, 0/200 days seems practical.

4 rounds each with a group size of 6 gives a tournament size of 6x6x6x6=1296.

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
13 Aug 06

Interesting idea.. I like it.

DS

Moves
13 Aug 06

Originally posted by flexmore
I propose that every year a huge tournament should begin ...
that tournament should have a slow and gentle time limit to allow all players to play ... it should be based on taking FOUR years to complete.

there will be four rounds in the tournament, and each round takes 1 year.

this gives a time limit of 0/183 days at least. Given that some rounds ...[text shortened]... eems practical.

4 rounds each with a group size of 6 gives a tournament size of 6x6x6x6=1296.
Hold on while Xanthos works out how long it would take - and why it would be too long.

Good idea methinks.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
13 Aug 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Hold on while Xanthos works out how long it would take - and why it would be too long.

Good idea methinks.
0/x games take at most 2x days to finish (barring people failing to time out their opponent out).

So assuming there aren't enough ties to require an extra round it would finish in 4 years with a time control of 0/180 or similar (I think assuming that 0/200 would definitely finish is a mistake).

Personally I don't think that such a tournament would have many takers and the number of no-shows in the later round will be significant.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
0/x games take at most 2x days to finish (barring people failing to time out their opponent out).

So assuming there aren't enough ties to require an extra round it would finish in 4 years with a time control of 0/180 or similar (I think assuming that 0/200 would definitely finish is a mistake).

Personally I don't think that such a tournament would have many takers and the number of no-shows in the later round will be significant.
while i agree with you, i am trying to imagine a formulation that will bring most of the best players together in a big bang, the large slow open tournies seem to have the best pulling power when it comes to high rated players.

perhaps a suitably formulated high rated band may work well also ... russ seems to have made millions of different ones at present, and none seem to fill up too well.