Rating inflation ... is it? How can we stop it?

Rating inflation ... is it? How can we stop it?

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
09 Apr 05

Originally posted by gumbie
I find it hard to belive you haven't clicked on Player Tables in the eight months you have been here 😉
Heck, I just realized early today you can also view your clan, tourney, and seige games in 'My Performance'!

Go figure.

ES

W4RAV

CN85nm

Moves
10 Apr 05

Originally posted by gumbie
I find it hard to belive you haven't clicked on Player Tables in the eight months you have been here 😉
Seems like the last time I looked there, one had to weed thru 6000+ pages of names to find your own. Now I see the link "View my relative position". Thanks for the heads up!

🙄

f

OD

Hoagy's Alley

Moves
10 Apr 05

I think the reason for rating inflation is that chess is getting easier. Oh, the government claim that it's because players are getting better. But I can remember the good old days, when you only started with 5 pawns, and no bishops. And you were blindfolded. And they hadn't invented the internet, so you had to send your move to Russ by telegram, and he'd ensure it would appear in the next morning's newspaper.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by flexmore
i am guessing the incoming new people to rhp need to be assigned the correct rating to stop inflation.

maybe 1200 is too high ... thousands of them will simply get timed out in a few games and only add points to the pool.
an extra bonu ...[text shortened]... : they feel good about themselves as they build their points up 🙂
Players don't start off at 1,200 but at p1,200. When you have a provisional rating you and your opponents aren't subject to the normal rules (see the FAQ). The system then estimates a player's true strength and they enter the normal system after 20 games with a rating hopefully close to their "true" rating. Opponents are rewarded and penalised on a reduced scale. If there is a problem it is probably generated here, since a 2,000+ strength player might join the site and get to 1,800 without taking more than say 200 points off their opponents and then leave and have their rating drop to 800 through timeouts thereby giving the 'in-play' community 800 ratings points overall. It's difficult to see how to correct for this.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
11 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
Players don't start off at 1,200 but at p1,200. When you have a provisional rating you and your opponents aren't subject to the normal rules (see the FAQ). The system then estimates a player's true strength and they enter the norma ...[text shortened]... s points overall. It's difficult to see how to correct for this.
true, such players will donate points to rhp.

the idea of entry at 1200 is that a balance is found between those who go up in rating, and those who drop, with the idea that 1200 is in the middle somewhere.
but with our (very good🙂) system that allows high rated players to rise quickly without taking many points from those around them the balance is broken ... a new player is able to donate points, but they are not likely to ever subtract very many.
to correct this broken balance i believe the solution is to lower the entering rating ... i think p1100 is worth a try.

as i said before: this new lower rating of p1100 seems to have advantages only: the new players feel good as their rating climbs.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Apr 05

true, such players will donate points to rhp.

the idea of entry at 1200 is that a balance is found between those who go up in rating, and those who drop, with the idea that 1200 is in the middle somewhere.
but with our (very good🙂) system that allows high rated players to rise quickly without taking many points from those around them the balance is bro ...[text shortened]... rating of p1100 seems to have advantages only: the new players feel good as their rating climbs.
I don't see rating inflation as a problem. As far as I can tell, it happens to some degree with all rating systems.

D

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
11 Apr 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I don't see rating inflation as a problem. As far as I can tell, it happens to some degree with all rating systems.

D
if rhp ratings inflate then they will still be internally consistent .... but they can also have some small relation to other ratings: fide especially being of interest ... also uscf and others.

you say "As far as I can tell, it happens to some degree with all rating systems."
what !!???!?!?!?!?!
it is very easy to setup a system where DEflation will occur .... just imagine rhp where the new people now come in at 0 points.

online chess is special ... with multiple simultaneous games being the norm the dynamics are different.

- and the solution for russ is very simple.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Apr 05

if rhp ratings inflate then they will still be internally consistent .... but they can also have some small relation to other ratings: fide especially being of interest ... also uscf and others.

you say "As far as I can tell, it happens to some degree with all rating systems."
what !!???!?!?!?!?!
it is very easy to setup a system where DEflation wil ...[text shortened]... games being the norm the dynamics are different.

- and the solution for russ is very simple.
I meant all existing rating systems. I read somewhere that FIDE ratings are inflating.

D

R
Out of drinks

On Clique Beach

Moves
11 Apr 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
Again, I have to agree with Ragnorak. I don't think it's a problem.

Furthermore, I still haven't seen anyone find a statistic that proves there *is* any substantial inflation, or what the trend might be.

Seems like we might be worrying over a problem we don't even have ...