1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 23:51
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    This is a petition to make Chris update Games Explorer.
    www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer

As far as I can see it has not been updated for quite some time.
    Please do so.
    Doesn't matter to me, as I don't use it.
  2. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 14:44
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Doesn't matter to me, as I don't use it.
    The first thing that strikes my mind as an event where it would be helpful for me personally (and probably for you as well) is something like the following scenario:

I really want to look at that game I played one year ago against that very annoying opponent where the opening started 1.e4 f5. Dammit I've played 400 games since then.

(Searching through my game history for five minutes or more). Giving up since I can't find the game I am looking for. (I would imagine a lot of players can recognize themselves having done something like this).

Getting irritated since if this site had a decent gamesexplorer I would find thas special game in no time!

Or I could use it to see what my opponent usually playes against the Sicilian Kan (or some early diviation of Ruy Lopez). I personally would probably not use this feature since I don't really play openings. However I can imagine this feature would come very handy for a player rated 2000 or so.

Thoughts on this matter?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 08:341 edit
    I know you're a Viking on a Bike, but somehow your name demands I imagine you in a Bikini as well.

It's an unpleasant image.

Biking Bikini Viking.
  4. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 08:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I know you're a Viking on a Bike, but somehow your name demands I imagine you in a Bikini as well.

It's an unpleasant image.

Biking Bikini Viking.
    ugh... No thanks!
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 19:25
    I just wish the folders would allow us to download all our games at once instead of picking them out like a Roman servant. Is there a way to have a whole folder of games sent to you at once? Sure would be nice.
  6. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 20:24
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I just wish the folders would allow us to download all our games at once instead of picking them out like a Roman servant. Is there a way to have a whole folder of games sent to you at once? Sure would be nice.
    But that is another subject. If you feel it is important to you feel free to start a thread about it.
    I myself feel no need for using this site together with third party software of anykind.
    Though I have to admit I tried some programs some years ago after hearing about it from friends. For me that was wasted time. Using an ordinary pen and a paper I use my brain. Using the computer make me relax and afterwords I often don't remember were I was heading in my analysis. So.

A desent gamesexplorer would come very nice, on highest place of my eastern christmas wishlist if you pardon me saying so.

That would make me use this site more.
  7. e4
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 23:07
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/mygames/emailgames.php

And all your games get sent to your email address in PGN at 100 at a time.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 08:31
    As I see it, the gamesexplorer is just a peer preview. A beta. To those who want to try it out. It's not ready, there is errors in it, it cannot be trusted. When it is working correctly, then he release it officially with a link, an icon, and everything, so we can click our way to it.

To force Russ to update the contents, in the state of beta, is not a good idea. I would rather that he debug it properly and then release it properly.

There is other things that Russ should be putting his energy on. And he knows what it is. He has his own to-do list.
  9. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 17:13
    I vote don't do it Chris.
    Take a break and have fun.
    Tell these guys to sod off. 🙂
  10. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 20:34
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I vote don't do it Chris.
    Take a break and have fun.
    Tell these guys to sod off. 🙂
    Thank you for your support buddy 😀
  11. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 11:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [b]As I see it, the gamesexplorer is just a peer preview. A beta.
    Well. That might be very well true. But! It would be just so useful. I would even go so far to say extremely useful. (Fabian. Saying that it is not working and unreliable is just SUPERSTITION and bad insights to how computers work, trust me on this I know).
    I am thinking of something like automatically saving completed games in two databases at the same time. Web hosting is fairly cheep so that would not be a problem. Especially considering to how much this site charge people for becoming a member.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 11:22
    Well. That might be very well true. But! It would be just so useful. I would even go so far to say extremely useful. (Fabian. Saying that it is not working and unreliable is just SUPERSTITION and bad insights to how computers work, trust me on this I know).
    I am thinking of something like automatically saving completed games in two databases at the sa ...[text shortened]... be a problem. Especially considering to how much this site charge people for becoming a member.
    There are other databases on the net. This one is not half as good.

I don't believe in superstision, but I've read some threads with examples of pure errors in it, even those violating the FIDE rules. I've red them and I've confirmed them as errors.

Give Russ time to correct these errors, and when he thinks it's mature enough, he release it with a good link and all.

Have patience.
  13. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 15:01
    There are other databases on the net. This one is not half as good.

I don't believe in superstision, but I've read some threads with examples of pure errors in it, even those violating the FIDE rules. I've red them and I've confirmed them as errors.

Give Russ time to correct these errors, and when he thinks it's mature enough, he release it with a good link and all.

Have patience.
    Yes. But if I want a database of my own games I have to build it myself from some errorprone linux program, installing it by compiling it myself from source code. Even though the program is hard getting into, which means bad usabuility, the things I've learned I have probably forgot when I want to use it next time.
    Which takes away the fun of it.
    I play chess mainly as a nice sparetime pleasure. And I don't want to buy crappy software from chessbase or such wich is almost as bad. I am personally no fan of chessbase although they seem very good at fooling chessplayers.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 15:37
    Yes. But if I want a [b]database of my own games I have to build it myself from some errorprone linux program, installing it by compiling it myself from source code. [/b]
    Gamesexplorer isn't so errorfree either.

I built my own gamesexplorer myself. It's not so hard. Good enough for me.
  15. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 17:51
    Gamesexplorer isn't so errorfree either.

I built my own gamesexplorer myself. It's not so hard. Good enough for me.
    Well. It is not that I think it is impossible to write some homecoocked games explorer with CPAN modules. But I don't want to do it! That is why I play on a chess site god dammit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree